Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Major Depression

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Major Depression

Postby Cyberguerrilla » 01 May 2005, 12:29

So, I've been in Taiwan (Kaohsiung) for about 20 months now and I've been pretty depressed the whole time. I've been taking Efexor, but that's just been keeping me barely hanging on. I work 20 hours a week and go to the gym, but have no energy and sleep all weekend, every weekend. I haven't talked to anyone outside of work for about 10 months now, mostly due to anxiety and lack of interest.

My questions are, are there any groups in Taiwan (preferrably in South Taiwan) that support people who are depressed/socially isolated? Is it possible to get counseling with a therapist/psychiatrist?

Also, why do all foreigners treat you like sh*t if you're depressed, instead of lending a friendly ear or offering some friendly words? "Everyone avoid the weird, quiet guy. You wouldn't want to show him a little humanity, you might just see that there's someone who is suffering and needs help, and you wouldn't want to help anyone. Not while you're on vacation in Taiwan"

Or maybe I'm just self-absorbed and need a kick in the ass. (Yes, I've heard it before, but let me assure you, I don't enjoy being so depressed that I need to hurt myself just to feel alive).
Forumosan avatar
Cyberguerrilla
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby rubykate » 01 May 2005, 12:40

I can't help you directly as I am not in Taiwan but can I can say good on you for posting your needs on this site. Depression's biggest battle can be seeking help becasue everything inside you can be screaming not to bother.

It sounds like your dosage is not correct, or you may need to change medication. For that you need a good english speaking doctor.

I have worked with alot of depressed people, and you have done a good thing asking for help. Hope someone can help more than me

Good luck!
rubykate
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby bob » 01 May 2005, 13:52

For what it's worth...... The last few times I've been out I have seen these guys that look so lonely and nervous I could barely look at them. They remind me too much of my past self. I do look at them though and I do talk to them and am usually glad I did because the way out of this hole is, suprisingly enough, compassion. Compassion for "other" people's suffering and imperfections. Accept your common humanity and then settle into it like a warm bath. Be friendly and sociable without placing demands on other people's patience. They likely have problems of their own and really just want some light social interaction. You may be suprised to discover that is all you need as well.

Or to put it another way, yes, you are self absorbed and that is the problem. Focus outside of yourself, on the richness of the human experience, and before long you'll be feeling better.

Prozac works well too but without this fundamental change in attitude your problems will return.
bob
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

21 Recognized(s)

Effexor

Postby bigmoose » 01 May 2005, 13:59

My 2 cents worth.
People here(locals) see depression as an sickness(you are crazy), not as a condition. Foreigners generally do not have time or interest for others.
Effexor is a Norepinephrine and Serotonin re-uptake inhibitor.
There have been a large number of cases of major depression and suicide
with SSRI's(e.g.Prozac )
Ever considered changing your medication and Doctor?
Brain chemicals are complex, but science is now so far advanced.
Remember not so long ago depression was treated with Valium(tranquilisers), and before that amphetamines(you could buy it OTC ?
There must be a solution.
BTW you did not mention your age.
bigmoose
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby LittleBuddhaTW » 01 May 2005, 20:43

Get thee to a doctor immediately, with your best bet being the psychiatric department at a major hospital (sorry, but I'm not familiar with Kaohsiung). You can get treatment, both meds and counseling, and probably in English if you can't speak Chinese. As for the meds, different meds work at different times for different people. I've had to go through a number of different ones before I found one that worked (with minimal side-effects). You may need more than one type of medication, too. It probably also has a bit to do with your environment, so TRY your hardest to get out there and do something, make some friends. If the anxiety is too much to handle, try making some friends online first. Views in Taiwan on depression/anxiety disorder are changing/improving. There is help available and it's not expensive (especially if you're covered until the NHI program). PM me if you need any more help (I've been through this myself plenty of times).

BTW, there are quite a few other threads that deal with depression and the various anti-depressant meds here in the Health forum. Check around and do some reading.
"Rude, vile pigs!" -- Elton John (screamed at the Taiwanese media in September 2004)
Forumosan avatar
LittleBuddhaTW
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby housecat » 01 May 2005, 22:49

Hey man,

I am House Cat's Husband, my wife saw this thread and I am interested to share some my experince with you.
I have depression too. I could understand it is no fun to be depressed. It is good that you are seeking help! Very good!

About where to get help? Or conseling? Well, I'm afraid to tell you, I do not know if there is a place for foreigner conseling. I am a Taiwanese, and I am going to this social conseling called "Teacher Chang". Mostly conselors there are social workers or volunteers, though I do not think they are "professional" enough, it is like you said, at least there are ears for you.

I remember listened to ICRT or read English news papers there is an ad about foreigner conseling. So if you look up these few places, maybe you would find something helpful.

Also, my personal advice is : don't isolate yourself when you are depressed. Even just go talk about wheather with co worker or someone on the net is better then being on your own.

I hope you could find help resource and feel better!

God Bless

HouseCat's Husband
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

The blues

Postby Juba » 02 May 2005, 02:46

Forumosan avatar
Juba
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

7 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Major Depression

Postby Ironman » 02 May 2005, 07:41

Cyberguerrilla wrote:Also, why do all foreigners treat you like sh*t if you're depressed, instead of lending a friendly ear or offering some friendly words?

Have a look around for any activities you can get involved in with others.
Forumosan avatar
Ironman
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby patti » 02 May 2005, 18:27

Try the English-speaking counsellors in Tianmu, number 02-28368134. Maybe they can refer you to someone in Kaohsuing.
patti
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby patti » 02 May 2005, 18:42

I apologise for the double posting. From past advice to me is it preferable to have counseling while your'e taking drugs. Once you stop taking the drugs the 'problem' might persist.
You say your'e barely holding on... counseling may lift that load A LOT.

If you can't get help in KHH, maybe you should try coming to TPE once a week, or maybe once every two weeks, for counseling.
Sometimes it's just that initial shove out of the black hole one needs.

Head above water.
patti

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Health and Fitness