Major Depression

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: Depression

Postby Juba » 07 May 2005, 14:14

miltownkid wrote:I like better here than back home.

Could you give us a bit more on the whys and wherefors? Also on the NTU facility. My local hospital is McKay Hospital on Zhongshan North Road Section 2 - any experiences? Also with smaller family clinics - any good?
Forumosan avatar
Juba
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

7 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Depression

Postby miltownkid » 07 May 2005, 14:20

Juba wrote:Could you give us a bit more on the whys and wherefors? Also on the NTU facility. My local hospital is McKay Hospital on Zhongshan North Road Section 2 - any experiences? Also with smaller family clinics - any good?

I only know NTU and that big one near Tianmu (forgot the name :P). My wife asked around looking for good guy in Taipei and I ended up seeing a guy at NTU.

I could get his info and share via PM if someone was interested.
Available for Daoist Wizarding - [Contact info]
Forumosan avatar
miltownkid
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby LittleBuddhaTW » 07 May 2005, 18:27

It's much different in Taiwan than in the States. I've also gone to NTU. It's basically like going to see any other doctor, they try to get you out as soon as possible. Psychiatrists here are only for meds, they don't do the talking sessions with you. If you want to talk with someone, you have to arrange for that separately and there's usually a waiting list since there are not enough qualified counselors to meet with the demand. The upside, however, is that it's VERY cheap compared to back home if you have the NHI.
"Rude, vile pigs!" -- Elton John (screamed at the Taiwanese media in September 2004)
Forumosan avatar
LittleBuddhaTW
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Dr. Wan

Postby Dragonbones » 09 May 2005, 09:43

LittleBuddhaTW wrote: they try to get you out as soon as possible. Psychiatrists here are only for meds, they don't do the talking sessions with you. .

There's a doc 萬芳榮 Wan4 Fang1rong2 at the 三軍總醫院 San3 Jun1 Zong3 Yi1yuan4 hospital on Minquan and Chenggong in Neihu, Taipei who reputedly takes extra time to talk with folks, without too bad a waiting list.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Cyberguerrilla » 10 May 2005, 18:58

Has anyone ever told a doctor/psychiatrist that they've been having suicidal ideations at a hospital in Taiwan?

Will the doctor commit you to the psych ward? Is it better to leave that information out of the visit?
ImageWhat difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?
Forumosan avatar
Cyberguerrilla
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Namahottie » 10 May 2005, 19:15

Cyberguerrilla wrote:Has anyone ever told a doctor/psychiatrist that they've been having suicidal ideations at a hospital in Taiwan?

Will the doctor commit you to the psych ward? Is it better to leave that information out of the visit?

Be honest. I was and have them occationally. The doctor didn't pass me, even with my depressive history. I think it just helps them be able to determine what doseage of meds to put you on. Best of luck, cyber.
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby LittleBuddhaTW » 10 May 2005, 19:18

Cyberguerrilla wrote:Has anyone ever told a doctor/psychiatrist that they've been having suicidal ideations at a hospital in Taiwan?

I've never had those kind of thoughts (thankfully), but on my first visit, the doctor *did* ask me ... which I think is a good sign. Even in the States, though, it's not true that they'll lock you up in the psych ward if you admit that you've had thoughts of suicide. They make a judgment based on whether they think that you are an immediate threat to yourself or not. If you've thought about it before, I'd say it would be ok to mention it to them. I doubt they'd lock you up before making a more thorough diagnosis. :wink: I've learned that if you really want to receive the best possible treatment for your specific situation, it's always best to be totally frank and upfront with the doctor, giving them as much information as possible so that they can help you ... that's the point afterall, right?
"Rude, vile pigs!" -- Elton John (screamed at the Taiwanese media in September 2004)
Forumosan avatar
LittleBuddhaTW

Postby sandman » 10 May 2005, 19:54

My wife is currently translating a couple of books by a Dr. Zhang. He might be the Neihu connection mentioned above. He's a talker type rather than a dispensing type. I'll get a bit more info off the old lady and post it here. She's interviewed him several times now and says he's a good bloke.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Doctor in Gaoxiong

Postby Dragonbones » 10 May 2005, 21:00

I called San Jun hospital to ask to speak to the above-mentioned psychiatrist, Dr. Wan4 Fang1rong2, about mental health care for foreigners in Taiwan, and mentioned the assembly-line concern. He agreed, that's pretty much the rule here, although he confirmed what I had heard about him, that he himself takes more time to talk. But in order to do that, he accepts only a smaller number of patients. There's the rub.

I asked whether there was anyone in Gaoxiong he could recommend for you, and he mentioned that if you go to the Veterans' General in Gaoxiong and ask for Dr. Lu4 Ti, 陸悌, and tell him that Dr. Wan Fangrong of Taipei recommended him as someone who would be willing to take more time to talk to you and help you personally, than Dr. Lu will probably squeeze in more time for you if at all possible -- but no guarantees, because if his hospital has scheduled 200 patients for him to see in 2 hours, his hands are tied -- better 1 minute each than to leave some of them without pills. :s
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Re: Doctor in Gaoxiong

Postby Namahottie » 10 May 2005, 22:25

Dragonbones wrote:I called San Jun hospital to ask to speak to the above-mentioned psychiatrist, Dr. Wan4 Fang1rong2, about mental health care for foreigners in Taiwan, and mentioned the assembly-line concern. He agreed, that's pretty much the rule here, although he confirmed what I had heard about him, that he himself takes more time to talk. But in order to do that, he accepts only a smaller number of patients. There's the rub.

I asked whether there was anyone in Gaoxiong he could recommend for you, and he mentioned that if you go to the Veterans' General in Gaoxiong and ask for Dr. Lu4 Ti, 陸悌, and tell him that Dr. Wan Fangrong of Taipei recommended him as someone who would be willing to take more time to talk to you and help you personally, than Dr. Lu will probably squeeze in more time for you if at all possible -- but no guarantees, because if his hospital has scheduled 200 patients for him to see in 2 hours, his hands are tied -- better 1 minute each than to leave some of them without pills. :s

Very commendable of you to do such a thing Dragonbones :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: You get 5 karma points!!!
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Health and Fitness