Unsolicited Health Advice

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Unsolicited Health Advice

Postby zealflyer » 29 May 2005, 20:28

Has anyone else received unsolicited health advice while walking down the street in Taiwan? I was stopped today by a guy who I initially thought wanted to sell health tonic or something but, in the end, just seemed to want to give me some pointers. He told me that I shouldn't sleep so late. He also said that for improved blood circulation and increased lung capacity I should clap my hands for a half hour every day. Is this strange or what?
zealflyer
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby bismarck » 30 May 2005, 23:00

Never happened to me apart from co-workers badgering me to go see a doctor when all I have is a head cold. Have often wondered why the old folks in the park walk around clapping their hands. So now I know...
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby twonavels » 30 May 2005, 23:06

I've often walked around clapping my hands like that, quite naturally. It feels relaxing. Then I came to Taiwan and saw threads like these and became so conscious of it that I have basically stopped. If I'm dead in a year it will be all your fault.
Happy birthday, by the way. :)
Forumosan avatar
twonavels
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

5 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Mianbao » 31 May 2005, 00:12

The funny thing is... his advice is really good. Often people like to retell the health sham of the week that they saw on an infomercial or last week's Oprah episode. Perhaps this guy had an intuitive knowing and needed to pass this information on to you specifically. :eek:
Forumosan avatar
Mianbao
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby TainanCowboy » 31 May 2005, 10:04

Walking at a slow steady rate while swinging both arms to the back and then to the front
up to shoulder level, then bring the hands together in a clap is an old chi kung moving meditation.
It is beneficial for the heart, cardiovascular system and the lungs.
Its also a good way to relax the shoulders and neck.
Do it at a slow steady pace and don't strain or try to make it a "power-type" excercise.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Clapping

Postby zealflyer » 31 May 2005, 20:41

Don't get me wrong, I'm into applying Eastern wisdom to my health regime as much as the next girl. For instance, I love yoga. But I just can't imigine walking around clapping for half an hour. That just seems incredibly boring to me. The creepiest part of this whole thing is that I do sleep too late, I do have bad circulation and I've had all sorts of respiratory problems since I got to Taiwan. However, I'm just going to chalk it up to a Taiwanese guy deciding that the pasty white girl could probably benefit from Chinese health practices.
zealflyer
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Clapping

Postby Shawerma » 01 Jun 2005, 22:26

zealflyer wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm into applying Eastern wisdom to my health regime as much as the next girl. For instance, I love yoga.

No way does yoga compare to walking for half an hour and clapping. Throwing a little yell for each clap will further enhance respiratory health and increase libido. Ideally, this will be followed by twenty minutes or so of banging your mid and upper back against a tree, again accompanied by yells. A nice warm-down of handshaking in the air completes the exercise.
Nobody loves me but my mother,
And she could be jivin' too
B.B. King
Shawerma

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Health and Fitness