Tums or similar antacid?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Tums or similar antacid?

Postby Chris » 01 Jun 2006, 00:44

Where can I find Tums antacid? Or a suitable substitute?
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
86 Recommends(s)
192 Recognized(s)

Postby grootkrokodil » 01 Jun 2006, 08:15

You can get Gelusil (unsure about the spelling :oops: ) in tablet and liquid form at Watsons. :)
Forumosan avatar
grootkrokodil
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby whitetiger » 01 Jun 2006, 08:24

I take a pill called Omelon, its available at the pharmacy. 1 in the morning and 1 at night and I don't even get heart burn. I would otherwise have heartburn every day.
Forumosan avatar
whitetiger
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Joesox » 01 Jun 2006, 10:31

LDEML wrote:I take a pill called Omelon, its available at the pharmacy. 1 in the morning and 1 at night and I don't even get heart burn. I would otherwise have heartburn every day.
If you're having to take antacid medication every day, you should really consult a doctor.

That kind of medication is only intented for occasional use. If you take it regularly you could be masking a more serious problem than ordinary heartburn. Get it checked out and put your mind at rest.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Proto_tw » 01 Jun 2006, 14:31

There's the Tawian stuff Stomachin. It's a powder in a green can. The stuff is magic. It's the best. @ little spoon fulls (the spoon comes with it) and your set. Better than anything you can get in the west. Check in your local pharmacy, remember in the green can and has english writing Stomachin (think my spelling is right on it but someone correct me if I'm wrong)
2 Acres Plowed - Classic and Modern Country at it's best
http://www.2acresplowed.com
Forumosan avatar
Proto_tw
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Lord Lucan » 01 Jun 2006, 16:42

Gelusil is not half as good as Rennie, and much more expensive. Incidentally, I wonder does anyone think Gelusil "Plus" is worth the extra money over Gelusil? It seems to be the same thing. Works the same for me.

The Omelon is a proton pump inhibitor, and works for people whose stomachs produce too much acid. However, as josax says, there could be other reasons. Heartburn can occur even with normal stomach acidity.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 01 Jun 2006, 17:50

Just for the record, I'm not looking for anything to treat a chronic problem, just something that'll settle an occasional acidy stomach. Thanks for the suggestions!
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
86 Recommends(s)
192 Recognized(s)

Postby grootkrokodil » 01 Jun 2006, 18:35

Gelusil is not half as good as Rennie, and much more expensive.

I agree! That is why I bring 2 Big packs of Rennie with me every time I come back from South Africa. It works best for me. :)
Forumosan avatar
grootkrokodil
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Proto_tw » 02 Jun 2006, 08:19

Chris wrote:Just for the record, I'm not looking for anything to treat a chronic problem, just something that'll settle an occasional acidy stomach. Thanks for the suggestions!

That's the stomachin. I keep a can around for hangovers and such. If you want though, I'd be happy to look into bringing Tum's or whatever you want in. I'm placing a new order with the US supplier next Monday. Let me know.
2 Acres Plowed - Classic and Modern Country at it's best
http://www.2acresplowed.com
Forumosan avatar
Proto_tw

Postby Lord Lucan » 03 Jun 2006, 01:17

Proto_tw wrote:
Chris wrote:Just for the record, I'm not looking for anything to treat a chronic problem, just something that'll settle an occasional acidy stomach. Thanks for the suggestions!

That's the stomachin. I keep a can around for hangovers and such. If you want though, I'd be happy to look into bringing Tum's or whatever you want in. I'm placing a new order with the US supplier next Monday. Let me know.

What about Rennies? Are Tums like Rennies?
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Health and Fitness