Ruptured Disc Advice Please

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: Ruptured Disc Advice Please

Postby TaipeiSean » 24 Nov 2010, 22:57

Ducked wrote:Seconded.

How did you get the imagery?

I've found it VERY difficult (ie impossible) to get anything out of NCKU other than a photocopy of the handwritten case notes, which I think they are legally obliged to provide.

Nothing from the computer-based information system(s) has so far been available, but maybe I havn't been persistent enough.

When I broke 6 ribs last year I had to have an MRI as I had some bleeding in the lungs. I just asked for a copy of the CD they made with all the pics on it. It cost me NT$200.
Wow it is amazing to see. Has just X-ray shots of the bones only, but also has images of all my internal organs.
Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans...
Are we having fun yet?
Forumosan avatar
TaipeiSean
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 26 Nov 2010, 00:49

TaipeiSean wrote:
Ducked wrote:Seconded.

How did you get the imagery?

I've found it VERY difficult (ie impossible) to get anything out of NCKU other than a photocopy of the handwritten case notes, which I think they are legally obliged to provide.

Nothing from the computer-based information system(s) has so far been available, but maybe I havn't been persistent enough.

When I broke 6 ribs last year I had to have an MRI as I had some bleeding in the lungs. I just asked for a copy of the CD they made with all the pics on it. It cost me NT$200.
Wow it is amazing to see. Has just X-ray shots of the bones only, but also has images of all my internal organs.

Apparently your LP are so small that they don't appear in the designated area.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby riggers » 29 Nov 2010, 20:47

Hi, I have not read every reply and I will be brief here as I am typing on a phone.

I am a neuroradiographer, I produce imaging pre operatiively, intraoperatively and post operatively for spinal cases amongst others.

If you want a thorough answer email me your scans.

But briefly, you are 35. A disc replacement lasts about 10 years. You instantly lose mobility in the spine, so people tend to get problems above and below the initial level. Fusions are even worse for this. So if you have an operation now , I would anticipate you have at least 2 more before you are 50. The reason there are so many operations is simply when you see a doctor, they tend to refer you to a surgeon. They are trained to operate. Its their mind set.

The best surgeon I work with, sends all but the most extreme cases which you certainy are not, to pilates classes. TRX is also very good at strengthening the core. You need to keep moving, working on strengthening your core as well as working on your flexibility.

I can't really give any more help, without seeing your scans or at least having much more information. You may need to give up some sports eg. Golf, but not all.

Feel free to contact me, steve
riggers
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 29 Nov 2010, 23:49

Fantastic! Could anyone have hoped for a better response than that?

That's great advice Steve, and thank you very much for posting.
I suppose I'm most happy to learn from someone in the field that my basic instinct is correct. I have had only the feeling that people want to chop me up and stitch me back together again.

You are right of course and I am certainly not an example of as bad as it gets. As long as I don't lean forward for long periods or pull strenuously, then I'm as fine as a dandelion.
I'm suffering pain recently again after spending half a day bent over, fixing something on the ground, but as weird as it seems, I'm almost getting used to the pain now. Its as if my body is producing something to combat the pain and help me forget about it. Of course I don't forget completely, but it gets slightly easier to manage without the need for pills.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby riggers » 30 Nov 2010, 00:41

No problem. Try and find a pilates class I am sure it will help immensely. The exercises they do are very similar to what a physio would use.

Yoga is also useful.

If you get into a routine iit becomes second nature.

Try to remind yourself too, that even though your back is not hurting you, you still have a bad back, so treat it as such. If I can help at all, feel free to get in touch.
riggers

10 Recognized(s)

Postby upandover » 09 Apr 2012, 00:45

sorry to bring up an old thread

but is there actually a physic/chrio in taipei that specializes in posture correction?

and I don't just mean the chiro that lays you out on the table, gets some loud cracks out of you, 5 min (and $40 :fume: ) later it's over

I mean someone that can give you an actual program to follow
I'm telling you this because you don't get it, and you think you get it, which isn't the same as actually getting it. Get it? - Masashi Kishimoto

Hello pot. My name is kettle. You're black. - Little Kuriboh

Guard your heart above all else,
for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
Forumosan avatar
upandover
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 09 Apr 2012, 12:14

Sorry. I don't know the answer to that.
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby chanephraim » 05 Aug 2012, 15:57

im hardly finding a good orthopedics or physical therapist or occupational therapist here in taipei, i hadn't gone to the orthopedics hospital if there are here in Taiwan? bedridden if you do that operation. since steve on this thread mentioning its not worth it to have surgery, because my mom also had not to do surgery. she's 50 plus years old at that time. not a ruptured disc though. she eventually had a plenty of rest taking supplements and it will take longer process healing if you are already old. I had a back problem pain all the way to my right leg hamstring. hot pack is the least i can get, if i can't move at all. im taking over the counter painkillers but this does not help at all on the long term process and it will also affect your liver because as far as I know that painkillers will toxicity your liver on the future.

1st I want to find a good orthepedics hospital to work on my mobility of my body to strengthen my lower back because I had a back pain. and strengthen my lower leg to support my abdomen and back .
chanephraim
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Taipei Mama » 12 Aug 2012, 12:51

upandover wrote:sorry to bring up an old thread

but is there actually a physic/chrio in taipei that specializes in posture correction?

and I don't just mean the chiro that lays you out on the table, gets some loud cracks out of you, 5 min (and $40 :fume: ) later it's over

I mean someone that can give you an actual program to follow

I hope by this time you've found one, but if not, I've gone to Dr. Mark Griffin for a while, and he's awesome. He's very knowledgeable, and he will set up a program specifically for you. I was in a car accident about 7 years ago, and my neck went crooked as a result. In the US, chiros would give me a good popping and send me on my way. Yeah, it'd fix the pain temporarily, but he said he can CURE it. My neck is so straight now (and sways where it should), it's unbelievable! He is very polite and takes the time to explain everything to you. He has lots of good advice and will teach you daily exercises.

phone: (02) 8771-3516

No. 250 Zhongxiao East Road Section 4, 11FL, No. 5

Take the MRT to Zhongxiao Dunhua Station, take exit 3 to Zhonxiao East Rd.
Taipei Mama
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 01 Dec 2012

Postby urodacus » 15 Aug 2012, 12:38

Doctor mark griffin: does he have an MD or a PhD? Maybe a JD or a DPhil, or even a DD?
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

211 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Health and Fitness