Sports massage therapist in Taipei

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: Sports massage therapist in Taipei

Postby silmanor » 23 Apr 2012, 11:14

baberenglish wrote:Have you guys ever tried acupuncture? I have occasional back spasms/problems as well. I was in a bad car accident way back in the day and was told I would have to live with some occasional back discomfort. Once a year I overextend myself running, swimming or playing hockey and I wake up with a seized back. I go to an acupuncture clinic that deals with sports rehab, normally the larger sized clinics do it. Takes about 3 hours and I am fit as a fiddle after. I have tried chiropractors but they just can't seem to deal with it, to me it's more of a massage than actually dealing with the problem.


I have not tried acupuncture as of yet, and I have heard mixed things about it. One guy I know said that it actually made his back problems worse, after initially lessening the pain. Others have had rave reviews.

For my part, I know and understand the uses of soft tissue work, so I lean more towards it. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a practitioner in the U.S. near where I lived, so I had to manage with overpriced standard massages.

For your part, it sounds like soft-tissue work would be of less benefit, so I see why you have considered acupuncture. I can't say I completely believe in the theory behind it, which is why I have not tried it as of yet... but what works, works - theories be damned.

There are probably many different ways we can approach our specific bodily issues. I think that it's great there are forums such as these for people to share their experiences, in an attempt to get everyone what they need as efficiently as possible. Charlatans and the simply inept populate the world. We gotta work together to find what's good - to find what works.
silmanor
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 28 Nov 2011, 20:16
1 Recommends(s)

6000

Re: Sports massage therapist in Taipei

Postby baberenglish » 23 Apr 2012, 12:23

1. easy to find a sports rehab chinese clinic.
2. health insurance pays for it.
3. usually dealt with in a short amount of visits.
4. if chiro isn't working, why not try something else.
5. I am sure your back problem isn't unique, there are a lot of taiwanese with the same problem being treated with acupuncture.
6. when in rome....
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
 
Posts: 554
Joined: 11 Nov 2010, 18:01
13 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Sports massage therapist in Taipei

Postby the bear » 23 Apr 2012, 13:16

baberenglish wrote:1. easy to find a sports rehab chinese clinic.
2. health insurance pays for it.
3. usually dealt with in a short amount of visits.
4. if chiro isn't working, why not try something else.
5. I am sure your back problem isn't unique, there are a lot of taiwanese with the same problem being treated with acupuncture.
6. when in rome....


sports rehab chinese clinic? easy to find? fraid not. Rehab clinics are easy to find but proper sports rehab where the doctor understands how injuries occur in a competitive sports environment? Not so easy. Never met a Chinese doctor who understands exactly how much trauma there is in a full contact soft tissue injury. Their specialty is of the old lady slipping in the shower variety.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
26 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Sports massage therapist in Taipei

Postby Formosa Fitness » 23 Apr 2012, 14:43

the bear wrote:sports rehab chinese clinic? easy to find? fraid not. Rehab clinics are easy to find but proper sports rehab where the doctor understands how injuries occur in a competitive sports environment? Not so easy. Never met a Chinese doctor who understands exactly how much trauma there is in a full contact soft tissue injury. Their specialty is of the old lady slipping in the shower variety.


This has been my experience as well. We haven't really found anyone that is both experienced in sports medicine and is stable.
We are a foreign owned and operated full service gym in Taipei specializing in serious fitness. Check us out: http://formosafitness.com/
Forumosan avatar
Formosa Fitness
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
 
Posts: 944
Joined: 16 May 2009, 15:37
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
80 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Sports massage therapist in Taipei

Postby baberenglish » 24 Apr 2012, 17:21

the bear wrote:
baberenglish wrote:1. easy to find a sports rehab chinese clinic.
2. health insurance pays for it.
3. usually dealt with in a short amount of visits.
4. if chiro isn't working, why not try something else.
5. I am sure your back problem isn't unique, there are a lot of taiwanese with the same problem being treated with acupuncture.
6. when in rome....


sports rehab chinese clinic? easy to find? fraid not. Rehab clinics are easy to find but proper sports rehab where the doctor understands how injuries occur in a competitive sports environment? Not so easy. Never met a Chinese doctor who understands exactly how much trauma there is in a full contact soft tissue injury. Their specialty is of the old lady slipping in the shower variety.

Actually I found a few all by my lonesome self. Like I said, the larger chinese med clinics offer sports injury acupuncture.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
 
Posts: 554
Joined: 11 Nov 2010, 18:01
13 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Sports massage therapist in Taipei

Postby dizzyhytes » 16 Oct 2012, 00:35

baberenglish wrote:baberenglish


Hi baberenglish, would you mind sharing with me which Chinese Med Clinics you found that specialise in sports injuries? I also have a bunch of things I need help with, mainly would like to try accupuncture rather than Chinese tui nah stuff.

I live in the Guting area so would be even better if there is a clinic near me.

Thank you.
dizzyhytes
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 23:11

6000

Previous




Return to Health and Fitness



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 8 visitors

Waste not the smallest thing created, for grains of sand make mountains, and atomies infinity. Waste not the smallest time in imbecile infirmity, for well thou knowest that seconds form eternity -- E KNIGHT