Is it do-able to do a detox/cleanse diet while in Taipei?

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Is it do-able to do a detox/cleanse diet while in Taipei?

Postby hangingintaiwan » 17 Feb 2011, 17:16

I'm trying out this detox/cleansing program, and I'm not sure if I should do it all before my trip or continue doing it while I'm in Taipei. I basically have these supplements, shakes, and the meals you prepare must be fresh, organic, etc. (imagine what you'd find at Whole Foods). Is that pretty difficult to do while in Taipei? Thanks. :)
hangingintaiwan
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Is it do-able to do a detox/cleanse diet while in Taipei

Postby finley » 17 Feb 2011, 17:30

Personally I wouldn't. "Healthy" and "Taipei" are not usually placed in the same sentence. Come for your trip, pig out on all the great stuff you can get here, then do your penitence when you get back :)

Having said that, you'll find the general diet here is a lot healthier than you'll see in the west. Plenty of fresh-cooked vegetables and suchlike. You might find there's no need to 'detox' with shakes and supplements!
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

752 Recommends(s)
586 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 17 Feb 2011, 17:31

Or cookies.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 17 Feb 2011, 17:34

There are organic food stores here, plus you can find fresh fruit & veg at markets.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

82 Recommends(s)
173 Recognized(s)

Postby hangingintaiwan » 17 Feb 2011, 17:43

finley wrote:Personally I wouldn't. "Healthy" and "Taipei" are not usually placed in the same sentence. Come for your trip, pig out on all the great stuff you can get here, then do your penitence when you get back :)

Having said that, you'll find the general diet here is a lot healthier than you'll see in the west. Plenty of fresh-cooked vegetables and suchlike. You might find there's no need to 'detox' with shakes and supplements!

Ah, that's true. I like all the farmers market type stores in Taipei with all the fresh vegetables and fruits.

But the night market food is kinda hard to resist... :) Deep fried goodness!
hangingintaiwan
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby baberenglish » 20 Feb 2011, 08:48

a couple of buddies went on cleanses, usually once a year. they do the honey, veggie juice(blender) and water route. no special pills or powders. it works great. but then they go out after a week and get right pissed in celebration.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Re: Is it do-able to do a detox/cleanse diet while in Taipei?

Postby tokki1 » 06 Apr 2011, 07:56

There are some incredible spas in Thailand for detoxes. Total cleanses.

You could also visit an organic store here in Taiwan, get some lemons, cayenne pepper, maple syrup. Start with raw food, then go on the master cleanse (google it). Get some herbal laxatives as well. Go for about 10-14 days, then start on fresh fruit juice graduating to raw foods. Your tongue will turn white from all the toxins being excreted, and strange things will come out of your backside.

Not for amateurs.

You definitely don't need to buy 'a kit'.
"Taiwan is the Wild West, only in Chinese." -Brian G
Forumosan avatar
tokki1
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 17 Apr 2011, 04:55

Just did a 10-day "week" of a detox (Master Cleanse). Not hard, but somewhat pricey, significantly more so than if done say stateside. Definitely a good cleansing and isn't too hard since it's about 1200 calories a day from the liquid, so you're never really that hungry. First few days are the roughest as you through withdrawal of all the crap that we take either on purpose (caffeine) or not (pesticides).

Organic veg is available, but is going to be pricey. That farmer's market stuff is likely full of pesticides.

If you want to go all the way hardcore with a detox and for cheap using stuff you can find at your downstairs 7-11, there is always water fasting.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby TiffAllen » 04 May 2011, 21:05

Go to a Chinese doctor! I'm serious. Tell them what you want to do and the powder they give you will have you pooping for days to come. I'm not joking,, Plus it's cheap.
TiffAllen
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby tokki1 » 04 May 2011, 21:12

TiffAllen wrote:Go to a Chinese doctor! I'm serious. Tell them what you want to do and the powder they give you will have you pooping for days to come. I'm not joking,, Plus it's cheap.

I'd suggest doing a real cleanse, not taking pills.
"Taiwan is the Wild West, only in Chinese." -Brian G
Forumosan avatar
tokki1
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Health and Fitness