Dr. Atkins Diet

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Postby rubykate » 08 Jul 2004, 05:40

I had an assessment with my pilates instructor who told me to try the atkins thing . I was on it for three weeks and did not lose a pound. And felt sick all the time. However it did get me off the sugar trail. So now I am just eating veges, and fruit and plenty of protein, with no sugar and salt-except organic salt. I have also switched to mainly organic foods and am eating plenty of eggs (sort of a watered down atkins thing with out the lack of a wide range of vegetables) I have cut out bread, as Ifeel better without it, and for grains only eat brown rice or corn.
I am also walking every day, and doing pilates six times a week. -and in one week I have lost three kg. I think th atkins can work really well for some- but you need to find your own path.
It has to be what feels right for your own body. I feel like I have much more energy since I started to eat this way
rubykate
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Kea » 19 Aug 2004, 18:02

rubykate wrote:I am also walking every day, and doing pilates six times a week.

Are you in Taiwan? I'd like to do pilates here-guess I should start a new thread.

Here's a link with some chat about the South Beach Diet. Sounds great....but a bit faddish. I'd love to lose 5-10kg of fat, but I will focus on cutting the carbs, increasing the veges, and limiting fat-laden protein.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/forum-3.html
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby rubykate » 19 Aug 2004, 18:22

no I am not - but I am not near my pilates instructor either!
she is actually my cousin and she wrote up a great plan for me that I do every day - in the comfort of my own home. I have seen some huge changes in the last three months since I started doing it.
as a singer it is great for your breathing, as a completely stressy person it is great for restoring calm, and for fitness it has made a great difference.
I am totally sold on the benefits of pilates (although you need to do cardio stuff to for balance)
rubykate
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Kea » 19 Aug 2004, 18:36

rubykate wrote:I have seen some huge changes in the last three months since I started doing it.

Congratulations and well done for sticking with the plan. :bravo: :cool:

I've read that it's helpful for posture, back strength, and flexibility-and I always wanted to make it a component of my fitness efforts. However, I have yet to hear of any pilates gyms here in Taipei, and guess that the equipment would cost an arm, and a leg to purchase. :s
Forumosan avatar
Kea

15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Re: Dr. Atkins Diet

Postby robert_storey » 19 Aug 2004, 20:24

I'm pretty sure I've seen Diet Coke in Taiwan, though not recently (then again, I haven't been looking for it). Anyone know if it's still being sold?

If you can get the artificial sweetener, unsweetened iced tea with a little of the artificial stuff added might satisfy you. It's certainly easy enough to buy tea around here. I know for sure I've seen artificial sweetener for sale in Hong Kong supermarkets - again, anyone know if you can find it in Taiwan?
Forumosan avatar
robert_storey
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Re: Dr. Atkins Diet

Postby danroggenkamp » 20 Aug 2004, 17:55

robert_storey wrote:I'm pretty sure I've seen Diet Coke in Taiwan, though not recently (then again, I haven't been looking for it). Anyone know if it's still being sold?

If you can get the artificial sweetener, unsweetened iced tea with a little of the artificial stuff added might satisfy you. It's certainly easy enough to buy tea around here. I know for sure I've seen artificial sweetener for sale in Hong Kong supermarkets - again, anyone know if you can find it in Taiwan?

Both diet coke and artificial sweetener are widely available. Diabetes is very common here, and finally the food industry is waking up to the need for food without sugar. Large stores (Carrefore, Dollar, etc.) even have sugarless cookies and snacks.
danroggenkamp
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby Interlocutor » 20 Aug 2004, 18:08

There is an interesting article on these diets this week on the Slate web site. Here is the link:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2105224/
Interlocutor

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Health and Fitness