Insomnia? I'm at my most energetic around 2am...

Find medical, health and fitness related resources in Taiwan. Discussions on wide ranging issues from fitness training and diet through to major surgery.

Re: Insomnia? I'm at my most energetic around 2am...

Postby tcm.sifu » 23 Apr 2012, 02:07

There are a lot of variables regarding the etiology of insomnia, if you are not experiencing a lot of mental stress then you need to work out what is the exact cause of the tossing and turning at late night. In my clinical experience herbal therapy and acupuncture would help a great deal. Massage therapy would also alleviate hyper active central nervous system.
tcm.sifu
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Icon » 16 Aug 2012, 11:27

tcm.sifu wrote:There are a lot of variables regarding the etiology of insomnia, if you are not experiencing a lot of mental stress then you need to work out what is the exact cause of the tossing and turning at late night. In my clinical experience herbal therapy and acupuncture would help a great deal. Massage therapy would also alleviate hyper active central nervous system.

I am still not sleeping well. I've trie dgoing early to bed -in teh past, I went to bed at 7 om and fell asleep, now I go at 10pm, which is early for me, and still no. If I wait until I am tired, then it's 12am and I am fully alert. I've tried walking the dogs and then going to bed, I've tried bath and soft music and relaxation. Not a lot of stress in my life -well, not until recently, that I've started planning my next trip but no biggie-. I am concerned as I am not resting well, and I am not fully productive at work due to this problem.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 16 Aug 2012, 15:51

Take a night shift job ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
83 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 24 Aug 2012, 08:28

I used to be a night owl too. Actually, can't remember a time when my biological clock doesn't give in till the sun comes up. Then I got tired of the judging and the just endless freaking nagging and purposefully turned it around to shut someone up and make a point.
Now I sleep at around 6 to 7pm-ish and wake at 4 to 5am-ish.

But honestly that just means I'm reverting back and living to the Pacific Time Zone before I moved to Taipei, where I sleep at 4am and wake at 2pm, west coast time. Bottom line: I can't fit in with the regular folks, wherever I am. It's a subconscious thing I guess. Suspecting my brain doesn't want to feel like a sheep, or zombie.

Either way I'm sure there's a perfectly logical medical explanation for all this, such as having something to do with the circadian rhythm:

Frankly people, unless you have a strict 9-5 job or something in that line, there is NOTHING wrong with choosing your own bedtime according to what your body is most comfortable with, as long as you end up getting enough rest for your brain to unwind.
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

86 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 24 Aug 2012, 12:03

I read some fascinating articles about people's sleep patterns hundreds of years ago. It seems that the idea that you would sleep the whole way through the night is a modern invention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

I have problems, not so much with going to sleep, but with waking up early.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1782 Recommends(s)
638 Recognized(s)

Postby golf » 19 Nov 2013, 02:03

NonTocareLeTete wrote:My sleep schedule has been screwed up for a long time, maybe the whole time I've been in Taiwan. I find that I get really tired around 7pm (ironically, just the time I usually start teaching :doh: ) then get a second wind around 10pm, and I can stay up, happily, energetically, until 3 or 4am. Then I seem to get my best sleep between 7am and 11am- heavy, dream-filled sleep. Usually up by 10 or 11 and fine until I hit that 7pm slump.
I'd like to switch to a more 'normal' schedule. .....
Anyone successfully change their sleep schedule? Or should I just go with what feels natural? And has anyone else had this problem/ do you think it's related to living on the opposite side of the globe from where I grew up?

NonTocareLeTete, any improvement or success? Actually I'm still living on bad sleeping pattern.. :doh:

Just love the night, feeling safe and inspiring, and can concentrate a lot! :noway:
https://www.google.com.tw/#q=%E8%96%91% ... A%E5%A3%AB
Get to the 1st Facebook page result (薑博士), click "Like" and:
Stay tuned with the world's most innovative drying technology that will change the territories of the world's food industry.
golf
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

15 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Ermintrude » 19 Nov 2013, 08:13

When I stopped teaching in the evening, my insomnia disappeared within 3 days. That fucked me up. No dinner and finishing work at 10 four days a week. It's not like everyone in Taipei kept their voices down until I was ready to get up...

I realise moving to England and getting a 9-5 (well, let's face it, a 10-4) isn't for everyone, though.
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

207 Recommends(s)
381 Recognized(s)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 19 Nov 2013, 08:48

golf wrote:NonTocareLeTete, any improvement or success? Actually I'm still living on bad sleeping pattern.. :doh:

Just love the night, feeling safe and inspiring, and can concentrate a lot! :noway:

So funny you should ask- I was just thinking how much my sleep has improved. I always considered myself a night person, but decided to make a change. Called my manager and asked to switch to day classes. She said no, and I said, alright, I'll just quit, I got a job offer for more money to work nights elsewhere. But I'll stay if you give me days. She switched me to days AND gave me a raise :discodance:
That was over a year ago and, kid you not, I go to bed around 8pm these days. I wake up (naturally) between 4:30 and 5. And I feel AMAZING. And when a late night throws off my sleep schedule, I can get back on track within a day or two.
I still wake up at least once during the night but it doesn't bother me too much.
Forumosan avatar
NonTocareLeTete
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
165 Recommends(s)
227 Recognized(s)

Postby Ermintrude » 19 Nov 2013, 09:18

My blood sugar was everywhere when I never ate dinner. Couldn't sleep later in the morning, couldn't keep going til ten. My body was making such an effort to get through those horrible 6:30-9:30 adult classes that I would be really wired when I left. I'd walk home for 45 minutes to try and wind down, then eat, then shower, then read. Then start my night ...
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude

207 Recommends(s)
381 Recognized(s)

Postby golf » 23 Nov 2013, 02:28

NonTocareLeTete wrote:So funny you should ask- I was just thinking how much my sleep has improved. I always considered myself a night person, but decided to make a change. Called my manager and asked to switch to day classes. She said no, and I said, alright, I'll just quit, I got a job offer for more money to work nights elsewhere. But I'll stay if you give me days. She switched me to days AND gave me a raise :discodance:
That was over a year ago and, kid you not, I go to bed around 8pm these days. I wake up (naturally) between 4:30 and 5. And I feel AMAZING. And when a late night throws off my sleep schedule, I can get back on track within a day or two.
I still wake up at least once during the night but it doesn't bother me too much.

:bravo:
So I myself need a raise too to get back to normal schedule.. is that the point? :lol:

And sorry for being late for response because I was being busy in Shenzen & Shanghai the whole week, not until now I have time to write :doh:

Anyway that's indeed a GOOD JOB of you! :discodance:
https://www.google.com.tw/#q=%E8%96%91% ... A%E5%A3%AB
Get to the 1st Facebook page result (薑博士), click "Like" and:
Stay tuned with the world's most innovative drying technology that will change the territories of the world's food industry.
golf

15 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Health and Fitness