Ma-tsu Islands?

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Ma-tsu Islands?

Postby gnaij » 17 Dec 2011, 17:14

I visited Kinmen (Jinmen) a few months ago, but have never visited Mazu. For those of you who have been to both, how do these two places compare? What would be a good amount of time to spend in Mazu?

I would likely travel with my (non-Taiwanese) family, so use of scooters is not an option. We would need to get around by rental car or taxi.
gnaij
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Ma-tsu Islands?

Postby golf » 18 Dec 2011, 04:03

Why not go to Penghu? There's much more to see there and definitely you can rent a car there.
https://www.google.com.tw/#q=%E8%96%91% ... A%E5%A3%AB
Get to the 1st Facebook page result (薑博士), click "Like" and:
Stay tuned with the world's most innovative drying technology that will change the territories of the world's food industry.
golf
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

15 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby gnaij » 18 Dec 2011, 04:58

golf wrote:Why not go to Penghu? There's much more to see there and definitely you can rent a car there.

I've already been to Penghu....twice.
gnaij
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Postby golf » 18 Dec 2011, 07:32

gnaij wrote:
golf wrote:Why not go to Penghu? There's much more to see there and definitely you can rent a car there.

I've already been to Penghu....twice.

Qimei (七美) Wang'an (望安) are all nice iles to go among Penghu Islands. I recommend Qimei more. Because there is the world's biggest double-layer stone fish catcher (雙心石滬) over there. But frankly speaking, it is too cold to go to any islands in the winter. Not considering Taroko in Hualian? You've been there 5 times? :lol:
https://www.google.com.tw/#q=%E8%96%91% ... A%E5%A3%AB
Get to the 1st Facebook page result (薑博士), click "Like" and:
Stay tuned with the world's most innovative drying technology that will change the territories of the world's food industry.
golf

15 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 21 Dec 2011, 00:04

winter is a great time to go to islands here because there are almost no tourists due to winds/cool temps. wear a jacket and jeans, you're good to go.

Never been to Mazu, but I am wanting to. Very interested to hear more about people that have been there. Its the only major island off Taiwan we have not been to yet, but my wife is one of those "its winter cant go anywhere cool" type taiwanese lol.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 21 Dec 2011, 00:34

I went there many years ago and whilst I had a good time it is very dull. we (2 foreigners) rented scooters and hooned around for a couple of days just eating and drinking. the only things to see are the Tunnel 88 liquor tasting rooms and some military outposts. I would go with mates not family.

for a family trip I'd either go back to Kinmen (Jinmen) or go to green island and orchid island
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby spock » 16 Jun 2012, 02:25

hey guys do you think it is a good idea to visit Mazu islands as a Day trip ? I was thinking about taking return ferry from Keelung (Jilong) (NT 630) is it worth it to spend 10 hours on a boat ?
spock
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

Postby maunaloa » 16 Jun 2012, 02:41

no
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Re: Mazu Islands?

Postby cranky laowai » 16 Jun 2012, 09:48

spock wrote:do you think it is a good idea to visit Mazu islands

Absolutely.
as a Day trip?

Not so much. Spend the night in Qinbi or some other quiet place. If you rush around Mazu, you'd be going against the grain of the place.
is it worth it to spend 10 hours on a boat ?

Not unless you really like boats. And even if you do the weather might make the trip less than pleasant. But NT$630 is surprisingly cheap.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 16 Jun 2012, 14:11

boats + Taiwan = worth sleeping on the street to make up for extra airfare costs.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan