Advice for two big hikes in March

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Advice for two big hikes in March

Postby Abacus » 17 Jan 2012, 01:33

I'm looking at a couple of different hikes during CNY.

3 that I'm considering
Dongbu trailhead up to Lele Cabin to see the two waterfalls - This is the longer north entrance to Yushan (not going this trip obviously). I only want to camp one or two days. Will I be able to get permits driving in during CNY? Anything else I need to know.

Aowanda - This place looks pretty cool but I can't find much trail info. Is it just dayhikes and you stay at the cabins? Is there camping or short backpacking trails? I assume that the red leaves are gone although the rough guide mentions the leaves turning red in December/January. I'm guessing that all of the cabins are already booked but I could call if camping isn't possible.

Nenggao Trail - Looks pretty cool as a 2-3 day trip.

I'm pretty set on going somewhere in this area although I'm open to other hikes. but I want to get to these less accessible places during CNY since I get zero days off and we don't even get 3 day weekends this year (2/28 weekend is booked already). I'm also interested in going somewhere with waterfalls. I'm currently working on a waterfall project/guide http://taiwanswaterfalls.com/ I have been lazy and haven't finished the site but it's planned for the day after tomorrow (perpetually).
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

117 Recommends(s)
121 Recognized(s)

Postby Jah Lynnie » 17 Jan 2012, 07:58

PingLai Waterfall in the hills behind Xinyi in Nantou County is quite spectacular after rain but can be bone dry at other times. Read up on it here:
http://taiwandiscovery.wordpress.com/20 ... ai-stream/

You would be wise to make enquiries with Jade Mtn N.P. HQ or TungPu cop shop about the permit situation. Lots of people just going up to the falls don't bother, but at CNY they sometimes station a cop car at the trailhead. You also might want to enquire about the state of the waterfalls. Like PingLai, they are often reduced to a trickle in the dry season.There are only a few spots on the way to Patungkuan with camping possibilities, usually the old Japanese police sites, so if you go don't camp elsewhere because large sections of the path are directly under cliffs.

I can't remember if Aowanda has any waterfalls but it's quite spread out with several minor paths in the 'tourist containment area'. The big hiking possibility is at the back: over a footbridge and then following a path up a large river valley. The path goes up to the Central Mountain ridgeline.

Nengao at CNY depends totally on the weather. Quite a lot of people get rained out and there is the danger of mudslides in the damaged parts of the path. I wouldn't go here unless the forecast is really good and that means taking note of the Hualian County weather forecast as well as in Nantou County.

There is a good waterfall just off the Provincial Road #21 up from NanChuang about 2kms before Luchang in Miaoli County.
Jah Lynnie
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 18 Jan 2012, 00:12

good stuff.

I guess I'll try calling to Aowanda and see if camping is allowed or if there is room in the cabins. And I'll leave Nenggao as a backup option but probably wait until another time to go there. There are a lot of places to go.
Abacus

117 Recommends(s)
121 Recognized(s)

Postby spunkymonkey » 20 Jan 2012, 21:42

There's a big, 3 level waterfall to the left when you enter Aowanda. I don't think there's camping there. You could try having a look around Qubing 曲冰 or Wujie 武界. I don't think there are any proper campsites there, but you can usually find somewhere to pitch in that kind of place if you ask around.

Also an update for any one looking to get permits for the Yushan National Park, our application was again rejected. This time because we don't have the snow training certificate which is a requirement for longer hikes during the snow season. So it looks like we'll have to give up on that one until the summer at least.
Forumosan avatar
spunkymonkey

Postby Cunninlinguist » 09 Feb 2012, 11:28

So a Taiwanese friend of mine with extensive snow hiking experience - and pictures to prove it! - applied for three of us to hike from Walami to Jiaming Lake. We were denied on the basis of "no snow training certificate." How does one get one of these? And, can you do it without paying exorbitant amounts of money?
Cunninlinguist
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby spunkymonkey » 10 Feb 2012, 14:50

It's called 雪地訓練證 in Chinese. Quite a few groups run this kind of course and it's not too bad price-wise, around 7-9k for a 4-5 day course which includes time on either Snow Mountain or Hehuanshan.
Forumosan avatar
spunkymonkey

Postby Cunninlinguist » 15 Feb 2012, 13:24

We changed our plans from Nenggao to Batongguan last month because of a landslide on the former. Can anyone confirm this? Or give any further information about the conditions, when it will reopen, anything?
Cunninlinguist

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Feiren » 15 Feb 2012, 13:40

You need to call the police station in Wushe. They control access and know what the conditions are.

049-2802204  

Here's an announcement from the Forestry Bureau. Continuing rock falls at 5.8 and 10km.

http://recreation.forest.gov.tw/NRD_ind ... 0120119001

Several people were killed here a few years ago in a slide right at the trail head.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 15 Feb 2012, 14:19

spunkymonkey wrote:It's called 雪地訓練證 in Chinese. Quite a few groups run this kind of course and it's not too bad price-wise, around 7-9k for a 4-5 day course which includes time on either Snow Mountain or Hehuanshan.

Have you done this?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

740 Recognized(s)

Postby spunkymonkey » 15 Feb 2012, 19:39

I haven't done it but I've been looking into it.

The Nenggao Trail is closed for the moment. The big landslide has gone again and the newer one further along the trail has gotten worse too. No word on when it'll open again. Apparently the big one is 200m across.

http://www.keepon.com.tw/DiscussLoad.as ... D%E9%AB%98
Forumosan avatar
spunkymonkey

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan