Five Days on the Batongguan Trail

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Five Days on the Batongguan Trail

Postby kau826 » 02 Feb 2012, 22:06

Thanks for the share and your trip really reminds me of the old day when I used to hike or climb very often. I walked there before, and the splendid view of Batongguan grassland is still vivid in my mind. But we went in a different direction.

We started from Tatajia saddle (ta3 ta3 jia1 an1 bu4), the entrance to Mt. jade, midway through the peak of Mt. jade, the north peak of Mt. jade, Batongguan, Guangao highland and back to Dongpu. I still remembered the thrilling experience to traverse the landslides of the mountain paths. My heavy backpacks and the gravity almost pulled me down to the valley. But the scenery, the serenity and the tranquility is rewarding. And it's also nice to circle around a campfire, to see into the sky and have a relaxed chat absolutely unrelated to the civilization. The stars were so numerous and bright that we could clearly see the bands of the galaxy, not to mention the hot tea and the pleasant desserts that blended so well with the atmosphere.

Hope there's a chance to hike again with friends and family, especially after I impetuously bought a "luxurious" backpack Osprey Aura 50. :pray:
kau826
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 06 Apr 2012, 19:56

Of the full Batonguan traverse (so from Dongpu across to Walami & Shanfong), can someone say which sections are the ones that are currently closed?
Was this Morakot damage, and is there any estimation on when they'll reopen?
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby kau826 » 13 Apr 2012, 19:59

Nuit wrote:Of the full Batonguan traverse (so from Dongpu across to Walami & Shanfong), can someone say which sections are the ones that are currently closed?
Was this Morakot damage, and is there any estimation on when they'll reopen?

As I know, the Father-and-Son cliff in Dongpu has been closed temporarily because of landslides and falling stone. It has been repairing currently but it's still unknown when it will be reopened.
kau826

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 14 Apr 2012, 00:23

That sucks about the landslide on the Batongguan Trail. that is near the beginning and the waterfalls are blocked now. Here is the waterfall guide that I've started - http://taiwanswaterfalls.com/waterfall- ... %E5%B8%83/

Here are my photos from Chinese New Year. I dayhiked up to Yunlong Waterfall (4kms) and Yinu Waterfall (6kms). Yunlong Waterfall is one of the more impressive waterfalls that I've seen in Taiwan with 3 large tiers and probably a few others that are hidden.

Yunlong Waterfall, Dongbu, Taiwan by abacus07, on Flickr

Batongon Trail, Dongbu, Taiwan by abacus07, on Flickr

Batongun Trail, Dongbu, Taiwan by abacus07, on Flickr
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 14 Apr 2012, 07:59

Ah, the old Father & Son Precipice with the problem, thanks.
So is there any other way of bypassing this and hooking up with the remainder of the Batongguan? Don't have any maps of that area to check out.

Nice pics, Abacus.

Forumosan avatar
Nuit

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby Jah Lynnie » 14 Apr 2012, 08:16

Go up and over Jade mountain. There is a route going down to Batongguan from the peak.
Jah Lynnie
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 14 Apr 2012, 08:21

Thanks - so bypass it by an ascent of the highest mountain in East Asia.
I was hoping for something a little easier :D.

Forumosan avatar
Nuit

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 14 Apr 2012, 10:31

Nuit wrote:Thanks - so bypass it by an ascent of the highest mountain in East Asia.

Actually you don't quite ascend as you get to cut off the last 100m or so.

But honestly the back side of Yushan heading toward batonguan meadows is one of the most sublime landscapes on the island. It's a deep rocky chasm with thick hemlock trees literally growing out the steep slopes like a Chinese landscape painting.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby kau826 » 14 Apr 2012, 11:23

Nuit wrote:Thanks - so bypass it by an ascent of the highest mountain in East Asia.

Hmmm, it normally takes about 3 days for a round trip from Dongpu to Batongguan, if Mt. Jade is not your destination, yet Batongguan is your must. The website said that even though the landslide at Father-and-Son cliff prevented hikers from getting through, you can go uphill and bypass the damaged trail. But if you aren't very familiar with the route, you'd better have a tour guide to help you through.

It seems that you need to apply for a park entry permit to go to Bagongguan. This information is adopted from the website: http://mountain.ysnp.gov.tw/english/Cli ... =2&n=21007
kau826

6 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 30 Apr 2012, 22:43

I didn't read yet your entire post because I'm at work and should be working. But fabulous pictures! Makes me want to get back into backpacking. Thanks for sharing.
grandfeller

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan