Taipei as an ecological destination

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Taipei as an ecological destination

Postby finley » 18 Feb 2012, 13:00

I disagree that there is no consideration of pollution sources. Part of the cleanup of the Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong) involved shutting down hog farms about 10 years ago. Had a major impact. I also see lots of work further up the river to stop little towns from dumping untreated sewage into the river. The Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong) is much cleaner now upstream.

I'm sure they are, but my point was it's easier to prevent new sources from ever happening than the eliminate old ones, especially if the new ones are springing up faster than you shut down the others. In fact the old ones are not necessarily a problem - in the case of hog manure, for example, it would have been far better to simply tell the farmers to dispose of it properly, perhaps with a bioreactor on-site and ultimate disposal on farmland. As it is, they've probably just gone off into the hills where nobody can see what they're dumping where. Pig farms don't just evaporate.

Yeah, I know I'm being skeptical again, but I've never seen any government care about what happens ten years after they've been elected out of office.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

854 Recommends(s)
655 Recognized(s)

Re: Taipei as an ecological destination

Postby Fox » 18 Feb 2012, 17:09

Chris wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:
Fox wrote:...If they cleaned the Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong) (Jilong) and Danshwei, it would help their boast no end. Those rivers are shameful and there is really no acceptable justification for it in modern Taipei.

The gov has been cleaning up both rivers for over a decade and the results are good, though much work still needs to be done on the New Jack side. I don't know why so many people keep writing as if the problem of polluted rivers is completely ignored and no one but us oversensitive waiguos see it as a problem. It's been a major policy initiative for years. It's not simply blather either (though obviously some is) as Taipei wants/needs to keep developing the riversides for recreation and also housing.

Having first come to Taiwan in 1990, I can attest that the river, air, litter and traffic conditions have improved immensely over the last two decades. The gummint has done amazing work so far in this area, and they take it seriously. Taipei, and Taiwan as a whole, is a far cleaner and more liveable place than before.

That's not to say that there's no room for improvement: there's still plenty of work that needs to be done.

I agree it is much better than in those days thanks mostly to the DPP; however, some rivers are still pretty bad. I'm just doing a documentary series on Taiwan's rivers as a submission to the Cannes film festival. It is really about fish species, but of course covers the rivers. I think the upstream river systems probably aren't too bad but the Keelung (Jilong) and Danshwei while better are still filthy. Apparently at the Cannes film festival movies are judged by clapping and/or the slapping of spring-back chairs. Mine will be a cacophony of the latter.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com
Forumosan avatar
Fox

63 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan