Maolin is back (almost)...

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Maolin is back (almost)...

Postby grandfeller » 30 Apr 2012, 10:53

Great map and photos, Abacus! Thanks for the information. I rented a motorcycle last summer and rode to Maolin, wandered around to see what I could see and absolutely loved it. When I got caught in rainfall in Duona, a nice couple selling drinks and binlang invited me to wait out the storm with them on the porch. We had a great chat and they wouldn't let me leave without sharing a delicious bag of plums and providing me some plastic bags to cover my backpack.

I also happened upon the De'en Gorge Waterfall and Guesthouse. They showed me around their beautiful property and told me a little bit of history of the area. They were so genuine and hospitable, I really felt like I was their friend rather than a potential customer. Hope to get my brothers to visit Taiwan with me and we'll go stay a night or two there.
grandfeller
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby cjw003 » 28 Jan 2014, 23:05

I've searched high and low for info on this topic, thanks in advance for your help!

Q: I have a 125 cc and want to travel from Kaohsiung to Maolin. What are the best roads to take, while avoiding expressways?

Thank you! and a happy new year to all! :)
cjw003
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Pingdong » 04 Feb 2014, 00:08

Routes 22 and 28 are probably your best bets. but Maolin is huge, so would depend exactly where you are going. Aim for Meinong for the main "maolin tourist" spots.

Any of you guys have good butterfly spots to hit up this year? i see the butterflies all over here, but never in big quantities. Looking for a nice way to kill a morning on the scooter.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 04 Feb 2014, 09:31

cjw003 wrote:I've searched high and low for info on this topic, thanks in advance for your help!

Q: I have a 125 cc and want to travel from Kaohsiung to Maolin. What are the best roads to take, while avoiding expressways?

Take Minzu north out of kaohsiung. turn right on 186 (it doesn't say 186 I don't think) where the HSR crosses over the road. follow that to hwy 21 and go past FoGuangShan. Then turn right on hwy 22. Hwy 22 turns off to the right twice so you need to watch the signs.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 04 Feb 2014, 10:01

Pingdong wrote:Routes 22 and 28 are probably your best bets. but Maolin is huge, so would depend exactly where you are going. Aim for Meinong for the main "maolin tourist" spots.

Any of you guys have good butterfly spots to hit up this year? i see the butterflies all over here, but never in big quantities. Looking for a nice way to kill a morning on the scooter.

Have you checked the valley off the 185? There are signs for it somewhere around, er that town with the old church.

Butterfly numbers can change every day so it's hard to give recommendations. Best is a sunny morning 9am-noon.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 04 Feb 2014, 10:19

The best spot to start with is the 1-2km trail that is actually in Maolin village. Some days are supposed to be great and others are okay. there is also a visitor center with a lot of interesting butterfly reading.
Abacus

ORIGINAL POSTER
124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 26 Feb 2014, 00:26

Have you checked the valley off the 185? There are signs for it somewhere around, er that town with the old church.

Which would that be? 185 is a pretty long road and I know of many valleys with old churches in them here, roughly about where was it? I am guessing maybe the northern end of the road where it buts into route #27 at a bridge (and pre morakot had a toll booth/ticket office thing to drive through)? thats where I have previously gone to search out the butterflies in numbers. but never found a sweet spot and most locals didnt know much about it that we asked.

will need to hit that visitor center, come to think o fit I don't think i ever saw it before.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 26 Feb 2014, 01:19

Maolin and Duona are commercializing it seems. Right now it's quite pleasant and it is nice to have a few tourist amenities. Duona's main street now has several restaurants and a few shops that I didn't see a few years ago (after Morakot) and another said they weren't there before Morakot. there is also a fair amount of construction going on for the scenic sights (waterfalls and short trails).

We found this nice little canyon near Duona. It used to have some great swimming holes but they are filled in with rock and silt after Morakot.

Ghost Axe Canyon, Duona, Taiwan by abacus07, on Flickr

http://taiwanswaterfalls.com/waterfall- ... waterfall/
Abacus

ORIGINAL POSTER
124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby navillus » 27 Feb 2014, 22:00

cjw003 wrote:I've searched high and low for info on this topic, thanks in advance for your help!

When I lived in the city, I would take the 22 (Qinan Road), going past the Nanzi train station to Ligang, then Gaoshu where it turns into the 27. Then to Dajin and into the park.

I rode my bike from Meinong to Duona this morning, didn't see one gravel truck on the roads once I got inside the gate of the park. Construction work must be winding down.
"collective madness is called sanity"
Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
Forumosan avatar
navillus
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

6 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 04 Mar 2014, 00:29

Winding down for 2/28 haha. Lots of projects in and around Maolin area, and Pingdong in general, are getting finished up finally. I know there are elections, but not once have i seen Pingdong actually accomplish so much in such a short time!

That canyon is gorgeous, never got to see that one yet.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan