How early should I show up for a flight out of Taiwan?

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Postby Modest Mouse » 10 Apr 2012, 23:39

I am wondering how long it takes to get through customs on an outing flight from Taiwan. How early should I show up to the airport?

Also, do you know how long the shuttle bus takes from the Taoyuan HSR to the TPE airport?

Thanks!
Modest Mouse
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
7 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Re: How early should I show up for a flight out of Taiwan?

Postby kaikai34 » 11 Apr 2012, 00:04

I've done 45 minutes, but that was cutting it close. 90 minutes should be safe and you'll have a little time to check out the duty free shop.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

8 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 11 Apr 2012, 00:12

check in closes 40 minutes before flight, almost no exceptions.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

75 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Postby rosarot » 11 Apr 2012, 00:24

It also depends on the time of your flight. Check-in and security control take much more time during the day as they do for early morning or late at night flights.
A few weeks ago I had a flight to KL in the afternoon and I had to wait 30 mins at the check in counter plus another 20 to get me through security control (why they only had have of the available scanners manned I still don't understand).
Customs and passport control is usually a matter of a few minutes, nothing to worry about. I'd say get there at least 90 minutes before departure, maybe even 120 during daytime.
Why do people say "Grow some balls."? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! – Betty White
Forumosan avatar
rosarot
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

9 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 11 Apr 2012, 01:48

Modest Mouse wrote:I am wondering how long it takes to get through customs on an outing flight from Taiwan. How early should I show up to the airport?

Also, do you know how long the shuttle bus takes from the Taoyuan HSR to the TPE airport?

Thanks!

I recently had a EVA 9am departure heading towards JKT. Lucky the HSR has check in counters for EVA / UNi and China Air. So if you are taking one of those do your check in there, its faster and easier. They open counters at 7am I believe. So I was there at 7am, checked one bag in and headed for the bus. Which comes every 10 to 15 mins I think. There was one just waiting to leave and I jumped on it and it took less then 25 mins to get to the terminal from the HSR station in Taoyuan. They will take you to Terminal 1 or 2 (so know which you will be using as that saves time).

I made my 9am flight with plenty of time to spare. I think I got to the gate at like 800 am and had to wait an hour for take off.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
316 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 11 Apr 2012, 01:54

I always aim for 2 hours before departure time. You have to take into account contingencies such as bus/taxi not showing up on time. Traffic jams/accidents/roadworks on freeway and that kind of thing.

I missed a flight to Okinawa once and had to do it all again the next day. If you have a really cheap ticket you may not have that option.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

73 Recommends(s)
145 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 11 Apr 2012, 02:34

i go 3 so i can argue with them for more leg room....unless its a short flight, then usually 1.5-2.

Taiwan airports are lacking in anything entertaining to do. bring something to do, unless you like shopping in shops that have all the same overpriced crap you managed to not buy while visiting. I have only ever seen 2 duty free shops in airports where it was any cheaper than normal outside on the street.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 11 Apr 2012, 05:58

Yeah the Duty Free shops are NOT profit free. I guess these days they cater to the Japanese and the Mainlanders more then anyone else with those prices !
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
316 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 11 Apr 2012, 07:39

Be there 1.5 hours before flight, 2 hours before in busy Summer season.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1302 Recommends(s)
503 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 13 Apr 2012, 04:50

I think in general Asians throw away the most money. considering how much they barter, its weird how few of them are willing to go to a "low class" store to buy the same thing 1/2 price. No wonder Taiwan doesnt promote its mountains as tourist meccas for the nature loving crowds.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Travel in Taiwan