How early should I show up for a flight out of Taiwan?

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: How early should I show up for a flight out of Taiwan?

Postby tommy525 » 13 Apr 2012, 05:26

Pingdong wrote:I think in general Asians throw away the most money. considering how much they barter, its weird how few of them are willing to go to a "low class" store to buy the same thing 1/2 price. No wonder Taiwan doesnt promote its mountains as tourist meccas for the nature loving crowds.

Its all about how something makes you feel. If you buy it at a "high class" store it somehow feels different then the same item bought at a "discount" store.

The product is the same but the "feel" is different and therefore the product itself somehow had a different valuation.

Case in point. A study was made where two restaurants were set up side by side. One was very posh, five star while the other was plain jane. The same exact steak was cooked up in the same kitchen in the back by the same chef but sold at half price at the discount restaurant.

Invariably restaurant goers praised the steak at the fives star restaurant at double the price and not the one at the plain jane. The ambience of the five star restaurant clearly added value to the actual product, even at a stiff increase in price.

A products "value" can thus be interpreted quite differently. A young lady buying a gucci handbag at a gucci store being handled by an experienced and well groomed gucci salesperson sees that item in a different light then if she had gotten it at a store in shimenting , even at a fat discount.

I admired an Alain Delon watch at a department store in taipei a while back. It was going for 8500nt. By chance I saw it on sale on the street by hawker. Bought it for 4000nt then and there. I always laugh at the deal i got.

But to many buying that item at a Sogo for 8500 has much more satisfaction and "value" then to have bought that at a hawker stall in the alley next to the store.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan