Sun-Moon Lake - Ali Shan - Jiayi in one day?

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Sun-Moon Lake - Ali Shan - Jiayi in one day?

Postby Iwakura Ken » 22 Apr 2012, 10:36

My wife and I are planning a trip through Taiwan in August (first visit), and have booked a few days in Puli and Sun-Moon Lake (after Hualian & Taroko). On leaving SML we are thinking of taking the bus up to Ali Shan but don't need to stay for the mob scene sunrise. Would it be practicable to go by bus to Alishan, look around, and then go down to Jiayi (train or bus?) to stay that night? (Forumosa is a wonderful resource for travel info! I tried searching on this topic, hope I haven't asked a question that is already fully covered elsewhere.) Would appreciate advice, also recommendations on other worthwhile but not-too-crowded places in the vicinity or as a stop-over on the way back to Taipei... Thanks!
Iwakura Ken
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: SunMoon Lake - Alishan - Jiayi in one day?

Postby tommy525 » 22 Apr 2012, 11:04

You might well be able to do that, but really it defeats at least some of purpose , to rush through everything and all.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 22 Apr 2012, 11:48

It's probably possible, but as tommy says the logistics might be awkward and/or rushed. Alishan is ... well, it's a mountain. It's in the middle of nowhere. So you might be better off staying somewhere nearby, then set off for Jiayi in the afternoon. There's no mob scene for the sunrise (or at least there wasn't when I tried it) but frankly I'd rather have stayed in bed.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

926 Recommends(s)
688 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 22 Apr 2012, 13:03

Can you travel that far in a day spending nearly the whole day on a bus, train, or taxi? Yes.

Can you enjoy anything other than looking out the window of the bus, train, or taxi? No. And if its rainy or foggy which is a lot of the time, nothing much too see.

Ok, to be fair, if you leave early enough, which you should before the rain and fog sets in, you might get a couple of hours at the rest stop at the top with 7/11 and food stalls. And maybe a short walk through the trees nearby.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

6 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 22 Apr 2012, 22:32

A trip I always wanted to take was to rent a car or scooter and travel from Jiayi, stay the night at Alishan, do the sunrise and then drive on to sun moon lake (it's 2-3 hours through the mountains). I don't think buses will take you through the mountains though. You could go the other way too I imagine.

Honestly, if you're going to Alishan do one of the little minibus tours and see the sunrise. It's GREAT fun, you won't regret it.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Re: Sun-Moon Lake - Ali Shan - Jiayi in one day?

Postby Iwakura Ken » 25 Apr 2012, 21:37

Advice appreciated. Seems major hotels in Alishan are (predictably) quite expensive, and already booked out for mid August anyway.
Any recommendations for reasonable accommodation (double room not dorm preferred) around Fenchihu or vicinity? Thanks...
Iwakura Ken

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby *monkey* » 26 Apr 2012, 10:21

I think that for the kind of travel you want to do, renting a car is the way to go. I would go insane trying to do Taroko/Sun Moon Lake/Alishan by public transport.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

4 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 26 Apr 2012, 11:15

I think I'd prefer to go straight to Jiayi and take the train up to Alishan. You'll be sitting in some form of public conveyance for nearly the whole day whatever you choose to do, but at least the little mountain railway is a pretty cool form of public transport. A lot more fun than a bus. Just make sure to sneer at the Chinese tourists.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 26 Apr 2012, 11:31

Iwakura Ken wrote:Advice appreciated. Seems major hotels in Alishan are (predictably) quite expensive, and already booked out for mid August anyway.
Any recommendations for reasonable accommodation (double room not dorm preferred) around Fenchihu or vicinity? Thanks...

There are not a lot places along the way to Alishan, but there are a few mostly simple. If you are driving, not really a need to make a reservation, just pull over and pick one you like in a small town with a feeling that matches your feeling and timing.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

6 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 26 Apr 2012, 11:35

sandman wrote:I think I'd prefer to go straight to Jiayi and take the train up to Alishan. You'll be sitting in some form of public conveyance for nearly the whole day whatever you choose to do, but at least the little mountain railway is a pretty cool form of public transport. A lot more fun than a bus. Just make sure to sneer at the Chinese tourists.

That Jiayi-Alishan train hasn't been operating since Typhoon Morakot in 2009.

There are a couple of spur lines open at higher elevations, though. Maybe the Zhushan line and the Shenmu line?
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

4 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan