Guishan Township, Taoyuan - looking for some information

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Guishan Township, Taoyuan - looking for some information

Postby spock » 03 May 2012, 18:06

Guys, I've been looking for some information about Guishan Township, I'll be staying in this place for 3 months.
I know that Township itself is not very attractive, but because it's close to Taipei so I think about spending my free time in capital city.
I was thinking, is there anything interested in Gueishan Township, Taoyuan? Are there any hidden gems worth seeing in this area ?

I want to apologize for asking so many questions, but I'm really excited about my visit :)
spock
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Guishan Township, Taoyuan - looking for some information

Postby Taffy » 03 May 2012, 18:08

You'll have ex-president Chen Shui-bian for a neighbour. :thumbsup:
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 03 May 2012, 18:38

Close to Taipei? It's a hassle to get there, first bus or taxi to Taoyuan station, than train to Taipei ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 03 May 2012, 18:49

Well, it ain't THIS bad...
... if you are thinking TOWNSHIP... but essentially, nah, there is nothing there to do cept grow fat off the beef noodles.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

93 Recommends(s)
339 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 03 May 2012, 19:02

The food is better than in Nankan.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby spock » 03 May 2012, 19:04

ok, I have read on this forum that Taiwan has a good transport system, is it that good?
for example Sanxia District seems like nice place to visit
spock

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby mangoholic » 03 May 2012, 22:28

I live nearby. What part of Guishan? Near Mingchuan University or closer to Linkou and the Chang Gung Hospital?
mangoholic

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 03 May 2012, 23:00

spock wrote:ok, I have read on this forum that Taiwan has a good transport system, is it that good?

It's very good if you live in Taipei -- which Guishan isn't part of. And it's very good if you want to go between places served by the railway or the high-speed rail -- again, Guishan's not on the list. The bus system is very good in some places; but the learning curve is a lot steeper for those who don't know much if any Mandarin. You'll need to learn about some of the buses there.

There's a free shuttle on at least some days between Yingge (served by the railway, and worth visiting on its own) and Sanxia. (You want to go to the old street, right?) But I've heard they may be canceling that.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby spock » 04 May 2012, 17:23

mangoholic wrote:I live nearby. What part of Guishan? Near Mingchuan University or closer to Linkou and the Chang Gung Hospital?

I will be staying somewhere near Fengshu Rd. it seems to be blose to Ming chuan university, what do You think about it ?

cranky laowai wrote:
spock wrote:ok, I have read on this forum that Taiwan has a good transport system, is it that good?

It's very good if you live in Taipei -- which Guishan isn't part of. And it's very good if you want to go between places served by the railway or the high-speed rail -- again, Guishan's not on the list. The bus system is very good in some places; but the learning curve is a lot steeper for those who don't know much if any Mandarin. You'll need to learn about some of the buses there.

There's a free shuttle on at least some days between Yingge (served by the railway, and worth visiting on its own) and Sanxia. (You want to go to the old street, right?) But I've heard they may be canceling that.

Yes I meant old street in Sanxia, I know Gueishan is not part of Taipei but I thought that I wouldn't be such a big problem to visit it after I finish working working
spock

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby mangoholic » 04 May 2012, 18:07

Spock, I live near the Linkou hospital, so I am not very familiar with the Mingchuan area. Sorry. Wish I could help.
mangoholic

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan