Climbing Mount Jade to cost foreigners NT$700, but locals just NT$220

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Climbing Mount Jade to cost foreigners NT$700, but locals just NT$220

Postby Abacus » 22 May 2012, 01:02

I think the price should be 700NT for all. Too many people going to Yushan anyway.

The two tiered pricing structure is a dangerous precedent though. It's shortsighted and hopefully it dies a quiet death.
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

105 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Skater bum » 22 May 2012, 01:08

Try getting a permit before even talking about price. I have been turned down the past two years. Last year I submitted with 9 other locals still turned down. Anyone else have this problem ? I would gladly pay 700 nt just to be able climb.
Skater bum
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 22 May 2012, 11:41

Abacus wrote:I think the price should be 700NT for all. Too many people going to Yushan anyway.

The two tiered pricing structure is a dangerous precedent though. It's shortsighted and hopefully it dies a quiet death.

I think climbing Yushan is worth NT$700, and I'd be happy to pay it if everyone was paying it, and the extra money was going to conservation and research. However, as Robert and I mentioned in our letter to the Tourism Bureau, it's illogical to ask hikers going up to the main peak to pay when the vast majority of park visitors pay nothing. You can drive your car between Shuili and Alishan 100 times and pay nothing to the park, even though you're polluting the environment and will depend on the park's police department to help you if you break down or crash. You can wander around Tataka (benefiting from the bilingual signs) and pay nothing. You can pick up a thick wad of leaflets and never read them - and still pay nothing. I support a park entrance fee payable by everyone who enters the park, whether they're hiking, birdwatching or just driving through.

As for foreigners having special dispensation and it being easier for them to get permits, if this is true, the park should explain it. I gave them many opportunities to explain what foreigners get for their NT$700 (I especially wanted to know if foreigners would get something locals wouldn't, i.e. extra insurance) but they mentioned nothing apart from the signs, webpages and English-speaking staff.

The precedent aspect worries me most. Museums and forests could easily jump on the bandwagon once a prestigious attraction like Yushan has began charging foreign visitors more.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 22 May 2012, 11:44

Confuzius wrote:I think the policy is fine.

700nt for a NIGHT is super, super super cheap. I have paid for crap hotels in Taiwan for that price. In the US a hotel can, (a shitty one at that!) can cost anywhere from 40-100usd.

It's not a hotel. Prior to renovation, staying there meant sleeping in a cramped dormitory with 30+ others, some of whom would snore hellishly, and at least one would puke through altitude sickness. Then most of them get up at 3am to reach the summit by sunrise. Once the renovation is completed, it should be more comfortable - but still not what you might call a hotel.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 22 May 2012, 13:02

Yes the price is not the issue. I would prefer the national parks charge entrance fees to all. The extra money the park will get from foreign hikers is so minuscule as to be not worth collecting, whereas a reasonable entrance fee to all could bring in billions. Yes, billions.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

711 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 22 May 2012, 13:17

Muzha Man wrote:Yes the price is not the issue. I would prefer the national parks charge entrance fees to all. The extra money the park will get from foreign hikers is so minuscule as to be not worth collecting, whereas a reasonable entrance fee to all could bring in billions. Yes, billions.

SO then wait, the issue isnt that the foreigner price is too expensive...but the residence price is too cheap?
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 22 May 2012, 13:25

Confuzius wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:Yes the price is not the issue. I would prefer the national parks charge entrance fees to all. The extra money the park will get from foreign hikers is so minuscule as to be not worth collecting, whereas a reasonable entrance fee to all could bring in billions. Yes, billions.

SO then wait, the issue isnt that the foreigner price is too expensive...but the residence price is too cheap?

It actually has nothing to do with high/low prices. It has everything to do with differential treatment...get it? :roll: MM is just saying that the parks could make a lot of money if they collected a fair amount of money (200/700 are both low).This money could then be invested in improving the parks, which makes everything better...
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby korat » 22 May 2012, 14:33

dan2006 wrote: I find that when Taiwanese don't want to engage in an argument, they either ignore your letter or send a non answer to you which means the same thing. I have only once been successful pressing an issue with a company in Taiwan by sending a letter. I find beating my head against a wall accomplishes more unfortunately.

same shit happens everywhere I believe. i got ignore from an administration staff regarding my credit transferring in SoCal. she in beginning claimed received my record that officially sent from the college i graduated, but she later indicated she didn't receive anything in second contact. (my guess they lost my record somehow) since then, i received 0 respond...
korat
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 22 May 2012, 16:43

archylgp wrote:
Confuzius wrote:

It actually has nothing to do with high/low prices. It has everything to do with differential treatment...get it? :roll: MM is just saying that the parks could make a lot of money if they collected a fair amount of money (200/700 are both low).This money could then be invested in improving the parks, which makes everything better...

Meaning charging everyone 500nts and then get decent barracks and rescue services, right?
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

596 Recommends(s)
470 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 22 May 2012, 19:23

Icon wrote:
archylgp wrote:
Confuzius wrote:

Meaning charging everyone 500nts and then get decent barracks and rescue services, right?

That or whatever needs to be done...(I have no idea what the rescue services are like here, actually.)
archylgp

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Travel in Taiwan