First timer going on vacation alone.

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

First timer going on vacation alone.

Postby lostsoulyew » 22 May 2012, 11:24

its my first time traveling to Taiwan alone and its the first time I am travelling alone . I have booked a hotel in 台北 will be leaving Singapore on a morning flight on 3rd July 4hrs flight.
I was wondering if anyone going on that date or anyone that can guide me ard or give directions. Will be there for 4 day 3 nights free and easy.
lostsoulyew
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: First timer going on vacation alone.

Postby Petrichor » 22 May 2012, 12:58

Hi lostsoulyew

I can't guide you or give you directions but it might help if you were more specific in your post. What are you looking for exactly? Someone to act as a tourist guide for you? If you'd like tours of Taipei or trips to typical tourist destinations, I'm sure there are local travel agencies that could help you.

Do you have particular places in mind you'd like to visit or would you like suggestions? I'm sure people on here could give you advice if you were more specific.

Don't worry about travelling alone. Taipei is a safe and friendly city.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

82 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

Postby lostsoulyew » 22 May 2012, 17:30

what I had in mind is like going to the 夜市, 明歌餐厅,some place to relax. though I have a hotel already booked but I was thinking of staying in 名宿for a night prefer somewhere with good view and fresh air and cheap and I don't like to share rooms.
lostsoulyew

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Feiren » 22 May 2012, 18:19

Hi,

I suggest that you stay near the Guting/Shi-Da neighborhood or near the Red/Green subway line. That way you can go to the big tourist night market (Shilin) easily and you can also check out the Shi-Da night market which is a bit different. And you can go to Yongkang St. and check cafes etc. there. Plus ice monster.

For 民歌, your best bet is probably 女巫店 (Witchhouse). They have live music Thurs-Sat. starting at 9:30. http://www.witchhouse.org/. Also check 河岸留言 but they tend to have more jazz than Minge.

It will be difficult to find a place with nice view and fresh air in Taipei City. For that, you need to leave Taipei. Hualian/Taidong are the best.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby lostsoulyew » 22 May 2012, 19:33

what about 夜店 cos my hotel is at 西门丁 so is there any 夜店 around there?
and during july is there any place thats like a flower field?
lostsoulyew

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ironlady » 22 May 2012, 20:31

Posting all in English will help. Either you're not a fluent writer of Mandarin/Chinese, or you're not re-reading what you've typed, and that is going to cause confusion to people answering you.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
75 Recommends(s)
286 Recognized(s)

Postby dasmania » 22 May 2012, 20:37

Hey Feiren, what is ice monster?
I used to think I was wasting my time teaching in Taiwan...after 6 months of unemployment back home I realized what wasting time truly is. Enjoy the moment.
dasmania
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 22 May 2012, 21:25

dasmania wrote:what is ice monster?

A popular shaved ice store. Think snow + mango + condensed milk.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 23 May 2012, 05:51

I thought they were closing Shi-Da Night Market.

I would recommend visiting Maokong (Zoo Station at the end of the Brown Line, then take the Maokong Gondola). Plenty of teahouses with great views, good tea and good eats. Some easy hiking in the area (or strenuous if you want it).
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

82 Recommends(s)
175 Recognized(s)

Postby dasmania » 23 May 2012, 07:07

cranky laowai wrote:
dasmania wrote:what is ice monster?

A popular shaved ice store. Think snow + mango + condensed milk.

sounds like that would be superb with real milk but I understand the reasoning. Mango is one of my favourite fruits, yum
I used to think I was wasting my time teaching in Taiwan...after 6 months of unemployment back home I realized what wasting time truly is. Enjoy the moment.
dasmania

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Travel in Taiwan