Taichung -> Taroko Gorge?

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Taichung -> Taroko Gorge?

Postby Bibliophile » 06 Jun 2012, 22:44

Okay I know I need to do some research of my own but I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about getting from Taichung to Taroko? I thought I saw somewhere it was possible to do it as a day trip, albeit a very long one. I'm presuming that's on a budget.
Bibliophile
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)

Re: Taichung -> Taroko Gorge?

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 07 Jun 2012, 00:33

If you have a car, you can take the central cross-island highway over Hehuan mountain down to Taroko... about a day's drive with stopping. Beautiful too. The road there is the highest in Taiwan at over 3200m elevation. Got altitude headache last time. The route is something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/X2P5 More info heretoo.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

8 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 07 Jun 2012, 04:47

Or take the Train. Up to Taipei and past to the east coast and back.

Time things right and Id take the HSR up to Banqiao and then switch to Taroko Express of the TRA (Banqiao station like Taipei Main Station is all interlinked. HSR / TRA / MRT ). Or up to Taipei Main if the Taroko Express you want starts there.

Do the reverse coming back.

Thats a lot of train for one day tho, best to overnight in Hualian.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

514 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 07 Jun 2012, 08:11

there must be buses from Taichung. Go to tourist information at Taichung Station and ask there...
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 07 Jun 2012, 09:03

A bus wouldnt be good time wise. What is it, bout at least 2 and a half hours up to Taipei? And even its a nonstop to Hualian they will still take bout 3 hours to get to the entrance of the long tunnel (at least) and then another 3 hours to get to Hualian? Thats six hours each way of busing.

The HSR takes an hour or so to Taipei Main from TAichung and if you time things right , get on the Taroko (fastest train to Hualian) and thats bout 2 and a half hours from Taipei to Hualian, giving a ride time of 3 and a half hours to 4 hours. Still better then 6 hours minimum.

They may have flights from Taichung to Hualian and back. Look into that. That will be the quickest and flights on Taiwan are not ridiculously priced like they are in many parts of the world. They will head up towards Taipei then scoot over to the east coast over Taoyuan and down .Probably less then an hour each way.

IF you have to do it in a day, then a flight there and back is the fastest and gives you the most time in Hualian / Taroko. But id do it in an overniter and take the train. Less stress and more bang for your buck.

Hualians a nice place to overnight. Dont have to spend a fortune on a decent hotel.

Or spend the night in Taipei and have a night on the town and take the train to /from Hualian.

Dont rush there and rush back. That aint no way to have fun.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

514 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 07 Jun 2012, 13:49

You can bus it across. Taichung to Lishan or Dayuling then to Taroko. Not sure if the two buses connect though. Call the 24 hour tourist hotline.

The other way is HSR to Taipei and then train to Taroko.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/

This post was recommended by trubadour (15 Dec 2012, 08:42)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

703 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 07 Jun 2012, 13:51

Glad the M-man seconded my idea of HSR to taipei then another train (taroko best) to Hualian.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

514 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 07 Jun 2012, 14:13

tommy525 wrote:Glad the M-man seconded my idea of HSR to taipei then another train (taroko best) to Hualian.

Opps I missed that you already said that.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

703 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 08 Jun 2012, 21:12

tommy525 wrote:A bus wouldnt be good time wise. What is it, bout at least 2 and a half hours up to Taipei? And even its a nonstop to Hualian they will still take bout 3 hours to get to t....

of course I meant take the bus directly, not via Taipei! :loco:
trubadour

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 08 Jun 2012, 23:53

There used to be a twice a day (or was it once a day ) from Fengyuan to Hualian. And it took near 7 hours as i recall. Going by bus to Hualian is not going to be fast. Those mountain roads are not fast.

As iv said, doing Hualian/ Taroko and back in one day makes little sense.

Unless you are young and have only one day to do this. In which case you may want to (since you do want to save money) take the overnite train from tAichung , which arrives in Hualian early in the morning. Then you can bus over to Tienshiang and spend some time there, then take the afternoon/evening train back to taichung?

but you may not sleep well on the overniter train and you may be a bit zombie-ish.
but i did something like that before when young and you can do it , but its not preferred by any means.

you want all your energy with you when you visit the gorge, especially if you want to do any trails.

what i did a couple of times was to fly down to Hualian and visit the gorge and then fly back in the afternoon. That was very workable.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

514 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Travel in Taiwan