Taichung -> Taroko Gorge?

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Taichung -> Taroko Gorge?

Postby golf » 10 Jun 2012, 21:57

As far as I know, the central cross-island freeway has been seriously damagaed and only provided with temporary passage since 88 Flood in 2009. So no buses go across the freeway.
https://www.google.com.tw/#q=%E8%96%91% ... A%E5%A3%AB
Get to the 1st Facebook page result (薑博士), click "Like" and:
Stay tuned with the world's most innovative drying technology that will change the territories of the world's food industry.
golf
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

15 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby golf » 11 Jun 2012, 00:33

And only one airline flies to Hualian airport, which is TransAsia Airline.
https://www.google.com.tw/#q=%E8%96%91% ... A%E5%A3%AB
Get to the 1st Facebook page result (薑博士), click "Like" and:
Stay tuned with the world's most innovative drying technology that will change the territories of the world's food industry.
golf

15 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 11 Jun 2012, 12:55

The OP seems to be asking about going all the way to Taroko, sightseeing and then all the way back as a day trip. Not worth it imo. You'll spend at least 10 hours traveling to/from Hualian and that doesn't include time getting to Taroko. Go the night before and stay the night in Hualian. Rent a scooter (near the train station) or take the bus in the morning. This way you have all day to check out Taroko before taking the train home at night. For me (Kaohsiung) it's the most inconvenient place on the island to get to. Between mass transit and my car/motorcycle I can get pretty much anywhere for a two day weekend.
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

103 Recommends(s)
108 Recognized(s)

Postby Bibliophile » 12 Jun 2012, 21:07

Seems like this might be the best option. Just trying to juggle a few things :-)

Thanks all for the advice.

Abacus wrote:The OP seems to be asking about going all the way to Taroko, sightseeing and then all the way back as a day trip. Not worth it imo. You'll spend at least 10 hours traveling to/from Hualian and that doesn't include time getting to Taroko. Go the night before and stay the night in Hualian. Rent a scooter (near the train station) or take the bus in the morning. This way you have all day to check out Taroko before taking the train home at night. For me (Kaohsiung) it's the most inconvenient place on the island to get to. Between mass transit and my car/motorcycle I can get pretty much anywhere for a two day weekend.
Bibliophile
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)

Postby stare » 07 Dec 2012, 22:11

Does anyone know if this route is open now?

From what I understand the road gets washed out in the summer due to typhoons, as a result some parts are essentially dead ends.

This is of course what I heard from friends nothing first hand.

I am thinking of driving across this winter during the next 2-3 weeks. Can anyone tell me if there is a website or anyway of finding out if the roads are open to cross the island?

Thanks
stare
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby shiadoa » 07 Dec 2012, 22:32

stare wrote:Does anyone know if this route is open now?

From what I understand the road gets washed out in the summer due to typhoons, as a result some parts are essentially dead ends.

I am thinking of driving across this winter during the next 2-3 weeks. Can anyone tell me if there is a website or anyway of finding out if the roads are open to cross the island?

Thanks

I drove it about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Some landslides are being repaired and there is one place where the road is closed for 40 minutes every hour at least,but it was passable.
It is without doubt one of the most spectacular roads you could ever drive and the engineering feat is incredible IMO
You really have to allow at least 6 hours (allowing time for a few stops to view the scenery) even driving briskly ! so I think ,as mentioned, a return trip in the day would be too much. A bus journey on this road would make me sick in 5 minutes :noway:
Forumosan avatar
shiadoa
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

100 Recommends(s)
214 Recognized(s)

Postby Novaspes » 08 Dec 2012, 17:54

shiadoa wrote:
stare wrote:Does anyone know if this route is open now?

Thanks

I drove it about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Some landslides are being repaired and there is one place where the road is closed for 40 minutes every hour at least,but it was passable.
It is without doubt one of the most spectacular roads you could ever drive and the engineering feat is incredible IMO
You really have to allow at least 6 hours (allowing time for a few stops to view the scenery) even driving briskly ! so I think ,as mentioned, a return trip in the day would be too much. A bus journey on this road would make me sick in 5 minutes :noway:

Are you guys talking about the Central Cross Island HW or the road that starts in Puli, passes through Ren'ai and then through the Gorge?

Are these roads doable with a regular car or I'd better get myself a 4x4?

Thanks.
Forumosan avatar
Novaspes
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

492 Recommends(s)
138 Recognized(s)

Postby stare » 10 Dec 2012, 07:41

stare

Postby Novaspes » 10 Dec 2012, 08:40

Is that a real road? Looks like at some point it becomes more of a trail than anything else...
Be aware that Google Maps lists many of the old Japanese forest road that have become long since impassable (e.g. the fabled mountain road connecting Wulai to Yilan, which Google will happily include in its routes, even though it is actually difficult to even hike there). Afaik the only route from Taichung to Hualian is the road I mentioned before, going thorugh Puli and Ren'ai and then through the Taroko Gorge, passing by the east entrance of the Central Cross Island HW.
Forumosan avatar
Novaspes

492 Recommends(s)
138 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 10 Dec 2012, 08:56

Aren't you talking about the same route (Hwy 14 to Hwy 14A to Hwy 8)?
Abacus

103 Recommends(s)
108 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Travel in Taiwan