Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Nicest mountain area in northern Taiwan?

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Postby Vay » 07 Jun 2012, 22:11

My summer vacation's coming up, and my wife and I want to try a little car trip with our newborn. Would prefer something no more than a couple hours' drive from Taipei that will be reasonably cool in July with spectacular mountain views and hopefully decent accommodation. Thanks in advance for any tips!
"So given that we all agree that the world is warming, would it be unlikely to have heat waves outpace cold fronts by 3:1? Where's the Gotcha! in that?" - Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
Vay
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

ORIGINAL POSTER
27 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Re: Nicest mountain area in northern Taiwan?

Postby Mucha Man » 07 Jun 2012, 22:22

Tai'an and Nanzhuang in Miaoli.
Wuling Farm
Dasyueshan Forest recreation area
Taipingshan (excellent on weekdays) with spectacular views, hot springs, trails, a cute little train ride and so on.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

782 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 07 Jun 2012, 23:25

Taipingshan rocks , love that place, much quieter than Alishan, beautiful forests.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1660 Recommends(s)
603 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 07 Jun 2012, 23:30

Taipingshan (always rains) and Nanshan (bit of a walk, tho).
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

203 Recommends(s)
255 Recognized(s)

Postby chung » 08 Jun 2012, 09:12

Fufushan
Tamanshan
Yulao
Kala

All four places have good mingsu options and fantastic scenery.
chung
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

2 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 08 Jun 2012, 09:44

chung wrote:Fufushan
Tamanshan
Yulao
Kala

All four places have good Minsu (B&B) options and fantastic scenery.

I have no idea where these places are....care to illuminate us?
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

28 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby chung » 08 Jun 2012, 23:41

Fufushan 夫婦山 is the mountain between Nanchatianshan and Shang Baling. Great views, fresh air, excellent hiking and river tracing. The minsu at the top on the road offers very clean comfortable rooms for about NT$2000. No food service, though they do allow guests use of the kitchen.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7256/7039 ... 5c72_b.jpg
Night view of Taoyuan
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=taiwan&hl ... o-44080292

Tamanshan 塔曼山 is the less popular walking area above Shang Baling. Actually the ancient tree park is on the lower slopes of Tamanshan not Lalashan, but I won't get into that here. The guest houses along the farm roads afford beatiful views of the Taman Valley at the lower elevations and up high the mighty Holy Ridge. I prefer to visit in winter when the snow cappped peaks are visible, but summer peach season can also be pleasant. Book Monday to Friday to avoid the rabble from the basin.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4091/5078 ... 5ac6_b.jpg

At the end of the valley road that leads from the Shang Baling village market is Kala 卡拉. River swimming, fresh fish, tea farms, and hiking are the most popular attrractions. I haven't stayed in the minsu, however it looks quite promising and seems to get good reviews.
http://www.fu-yam.com.tw/fuyamgallery/roomshow_en.php

Over the top of the pass out of Neiwan is the three building settlement of Yulao 宇老. Most people drive on by on route to Smangus. Those that do miss the good hiking up Dongsueishan and the chance to the visit the historic fort at Lidongshan. The microclimate along the ridge line ensures a cool cloudy evening which is not all bad if you're trying to escape the heat of the plains. Beidelaman and Maliguan are possible side trips off the main route.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=taiwan&hl ... 73,,0,1.08
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6659 ... d52a_b.jpg
chung

2 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan