Foreigner price to see what other foreigners built

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Postby Doraemonster » 21 Jun 2012, 19:00

There has been a discussion on Forumosa recently about double prices for national-park entrance. If I remember correctly, there is at least the distinction between visitors and residents there. Now, take a look at this, here's a photo I took recently at Fort Zeelandia in Anping, Tainan:

To sum up the above rules:
Rule #1: Foreigner always pays full price.
Rule #2: Student discount does not apply to foreign students.

As you all know, the place in question was built by "foreigners" long time ago. The only thing the Taiwanese did was surrounding it with an ugly fence, and starting to charge for entrance. And now "foreigners" need to pay more, including foreign students.

There are probably not many foreign students in Taiwan in the first place, but I am one of them; and I've paid some 120,000 "dollars" in tuition and other fees this year for this dubious privilege. I don't see why there should be any distinction here; in fact, other countries often extend local student discounts to foreign students with an ISIC card.

Also, nowhere in my student ID does it say that I am a foreigner. How do they tell a foreigner then? I guess that's a rhetorical question. :bow:

The price differences are negligible (50 vs 25 peso) -- they probably don't even cover the cost of the ticket booth anyway -- so it's a matter of principle. The principle of discrimination. Or am I overreacting? What do you think? Perhaps at least the Dutch should have a discount?
Forumosan avatar
Doraemonster
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
36 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Re: Foreigner price to see what other foreigners built

Postby finley » 21 Jun 2012, 20:17

The price differences are negligible (50 vs 25 peso) -- they probably don't even cover the cost of the ticket booth anyway -- so it's a matter of principle. The principle of discrimination. Or am I overreacting? What do you think? Perhaps at least the Dutch should have a discount?

Well, considering the original circumstances, you'd think the Dutch wouldn't be allowed back in at all :)

But yeah, it does seem both pointless (considering the already-low entrance price) and unfair. This is actually the first instance of a "foreigner price" that I've ever seen in Taiwan. The weird part is, I've been there, and I don't remember even noticing this.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

670 Recommends(s)
544 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 21 Jun 2012, 20:43

Same practice in Mongolia.
I just don't pay the entrance fee if they want to be funny about it.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca

4 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 21 Jun 2012, 20:49

From memory, the present fort is a reconstruction of the original, presumably built by the Taiwanese.
If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches. Rilke

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

67 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 21 Jun 2012, 21:11

They are also discriminating against volunteer firemen ("real" firemen get the discount), but if you have a volunteer ID from a public or private organization you get the discount. And if you're not from the County you pay more even if you're a student.

But the "all foreigners pay full price always" thing does irritate me. Why oh why does bureaucratic Taiwan look more and more like China in the 1980s with computers every day?
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
63 Recommends(s)
251 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 21 Jun 2012, 23:41

This is very worrying/interesting, and I will go to the fort when I have free time to check it out.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby navillus » 21 Jun 2012, 23:54

How many foreigners visit this place in the run of a year I wonder? It's probably nothing spectacular with a 25/50 NT admission fee. I wonder what the net gain is for letting the world view you as racist arseholes.
"collective madness is called sanity"
Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
Forumosan avatar
navillus
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 22 Jun 2012, 00:00

How is it racist?
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 22 Jun 2012, 01:46

From memory, the present fort is a reconstruction of the original, presumably built by the Taiwanese

The original was knocked down by Koxinga.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
150 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 22 Jun 2012, 08:20

Poagao wrote:How is it racist?

Well it seems to put foreigners pay full price right at the front of the list. I would say the admin there have a bugbear for some reason. Foreign students pay more? Seriously why bother to write that?

Theres a whole lot of other worthless regulation behind it so it's just some nasty person in charge I guess.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1307 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Travel in Taiwan