alone in Taiwan

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

alone in Taiwan

Postby purejunie » 07 Jul 2012, 02:04

Hi,

I'm new to Taiwan and is currently living in Taipei. I was wondering if you all could give me any suggestions on places I can visit that is safe/fun/okay for a girl to travel alone... around Taiwan? in Taipei?

Thank you!!!
purejunie
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
In Taiwan since: 0- 1- 0

Re: alone in Taiwan

Postby Petrichor » 07 Jul 2012, 05:35

What kind of things do you like doing? Taipei is generally very safe, even at night, although you should always take sensible precautions.

One thing I would caution against doing alone is hiking off the paved trails. Not because it's unsafe for women but because if you got lost you would get into trouble quite quickly in this heat.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

88 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 07 Jul 2012, 09:41

If you want outdoor stuff pick up the Lonely Planet and Richard Saunders Taipei Day Trips. More urban stuff get the Rough Guide.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

850 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 07 Jul 2012, 14:57

Personally I think Taiwan is a great place for solo travelling (m/f unimportant). As long as you're sensible (avoid obviously-dodgy locations, don't flash too much cleavage or money), it's unlikely you'll run into any trouble from other people, especially in Taipei. Little villages will treat you as a curiosity. There's always the occasional career racist who will give you an earful in Taiwanese, but they're few and far between. However, as Petrichor said, if you're off the beaten track and on foot, you could find yourself in major trouble. You wouldn't last more than a couple of days without water in this heat.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

883 Recommends(s)
668 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 07 Jul 2012, 15:16

Take it from a real coward: Taiwan is a really safe place to travel. The worse dangers are snakes -in trails, mountains- getting lost in the wilderness, and food poisoning -from not fresh places. There are many interesting destinations you can reach by train, which is easy to take even if your Chinese is not that great, cheap and fast. Fulong or any beach on the East coast, Jiufen -take train to Ruifang-, Sanyi or Yingge are one day trips that are really nice, close to Taipei for starters. If you like cats, go to Houtong. take a bus to Yangming Shan, or Daxi or Beipu. Look these places up on the 'net or the books recommended. Bring a camera, take lots of pictures, even by yourself you'll have lots of fun.

As to transportation, to err on the too cautious side, remember to take taxis from reputable companies, like Taiwan Taxi or Metro Taxi. Better avoid independents as they are not that clean -they do not have to adhere to company standards- and older cars too. I usually avoid taxis with any dents.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 10 Jul 2012, 14:57

Lots of good places to go in Taipei but depends on what you like.

If you like cats in Tianshui Rd, next to those chem shops there's a shop full of cats!
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby purejunie » 10 Jul 2012, 15:53

Thanks everyone for the info!

If I want to Travel around Taiwan, is it better to find a tour to join or can I just travel by myself by public transportation? Would I enjoy the place as much on a tour?
purejunie

ORIGINAL POSTER
In Taiwan since: 0- 1- 0

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 10 Jul 2012, 15:55

purejunie wrote:Thanks everyone for the info!

If I want to Travel around Taiwan, is it better to find a tour to join or can I just travel by myself by public transportation? Would I enjoy the place as much on a tour?

Go by yourself or with a friend... avoid guided tours in Taiwan because they just rush you through it.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 10 Jul 2012, 17:20

No tours. Really. Seriously.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 10 Jul 2012, 17:23

If you're in the middle of nowhere (ie., anywhere on the East coast) it's a good idea to have a trustworthy local guide who can drive you around and will know the best places to eat. To make that worthwhile you need at least one other person sharing the cost. But yeah - big tour groups are a bad idea.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

883 Recommends(s)
668 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan