Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

alone in Taiwan

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: alone in Taiwan

Postby StevenCrook » 11 Jul 2012, 15:37

Self-promotion time: Almost all of the places I wrote about for my app (http://bradttaiwan.blogspot.tw/2011/12/ ... tures.html) can be visited by public transportation, and because they tend to be urban attractions, almost all are safe to visit solo. But, of course, be careful wondering around the more remote corners of, say, Luodong Forestry Culture Garden at dusk.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 15 Jul 2012, 03:16

Luodong Forestry Culture Garden at dusk.

may i ask why? without knowing, that just seems so strange to read.

to me the biggest dangers in Taiwan are:

roadways (bad driving)
lightning
landslides in mountains
snakes

outside the city those are the dangers, in order, i personally find myself worried about.

as far as human to human problems, aside from vehicular retardation, Taiwan i consider to be the safest place I have yet to experience as far as tourism type concerns go.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 15 Jul 2012, 03:43

Pingdong wrote:

Steve is being cryptic, literary, interesting. Good lord, you have been in the countryside too long. :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

774 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 20 Jul 2012, 14:44

Muzha Man wrote:
Pingdong wrote:

Steve is being cryptic, literary, interesting. Good lord, you have been in the countryside too long. :lol:

MM, you mean I've been in the countryside too long?
I said that you should be careful because the garden is pretty big and there are lots of dark corners in which people could hide, if they wanted to get up to mischief.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 20 Jul 2012, 14:55

StevenCrook wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:
Pingdong wrote:

MM, you mean I've been in the countryside too long?
I said that you should be careful because the garden is pretty big and there are lots of dark corners in which people could hide, if they wanted to get up to mischief.

No I meant Pingdong. But surely you were being a bit tongue and cheek in your warning?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

774 Recognized(s)

Postby conniebononie » 01 Nov 2012, 10:45

For reference, I live in Taipei. For a long time, I was traveling alone in Taiwan too. Like most already posted, being a single female in Taiwan, even at night doesn't really pose as a threat worthy of special attention. I feel much safer here than back in the states. Just use common sense. :) I usually have my pepper spray (keys attached) in my hands at night if I'm walking alone. I never used it or even felt the need to have it in my hands, but I always believe in being better safe than sorry. If safety isn't an issue, it really boils down to what you're into. :) Taiwan, in my experience, is awesome for active, outdoorsy activities. I seriously fell in love with Green Island for visiting and Yilan for living. BTW, welcome to Taiwan!
conniebononie
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 01 Nov 2012, 10:48

conniebononie wrote:For reference, I live in Taipei. For a long time, I was traveling alone in Taiwan too. Like most already posted, being a single female in Taiwan, even at night doesn't really pose as a threat worthy of special attention. I feel much safer here than back in the states. Just use common sense. :) I usually have my pepper spray (keys attached) in my hands at night if I'm walking alone. I never used it or even felt the need to have it in my hands, but I always believe in being better safe than sorry. If safety isn't an issue, it really boils down to what you're into. :) Taiwan, in my experience, is awesome for active, outdoorsy activities. I seriously fell in love with Green Island for visiting and Yilan for living. BTW, welcome to Taiwan!

In Taiwan you're far more likely to get hit by a vehicle than assaulted/mugged.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan