outdoor travel in taiwan

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

outdoor travel in taiwan

Postby coaster » 16 Jul 2012, 15:34

Hey all,
I'll be doing some solo traveling in Taiwan from July 28th to Aug 3rd. I'm looking to check out some Buddhist temples and perhaps do a temple stay for a night or two, id like to escape the crowds if possible.
Also looking to do some hiking and surfing as well. Is it possible to travel and camp or should I look into staying at hostels?

any suggestions appreciated :cool:
coaster
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: outdoor travel in taiwan

Postby Super Hans » 16 Jul 2012, 17:36

it is possible to camp. Sometimes you might get moved on by the police or the coastguard, if you camp near the ocean, but it is unlikely. There are often signs displaying what you can and can't do, like swimming, bombing and electrocuting fish and damaging the squirrels. But if there is no sign, then apparently anything goes :lol:
Seriously, if you camp, just make sure it's difficult for people to see your tent and you shouldn't have problems.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 16 Jul 2012, 19:33

Depends where you are. On the east coast there are a number of campgrounds, and in Taidong County you can usually can anywhere. Several police substations also allow camping on their grounds (you can pick up a list at the visitor centre in Hualian). Around Taiwan there are lots of campgrounds but it's best to have a vehicle to get to them.

In a lot of areas you can also usually camp at the local elementary school.

A guidebook would help a lot as campsites in the areas you want to visit would be listed.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby coaster » 17 Jul 2012, 08:13

thanks for the info guys,
wondering about the temples, is shitoushan a good bet? heard its quite difficult to get to
coaster

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan