motorcycle touring

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: motorcycle touring

Postby Mordeth » 30 Apr 2012, 16:05

grandfeller wrote:I visit Taiwan every year or two to visit my wife's family. Last year rented a motorcycle and toured the east coast. Also rode around in Maolin, Kaohsiung. Loved it so much that I up and bought a motorcycle so I could take a tour every visit without the problem of trying to rent without an ARC (and without insurance - yikes).

I've been planning to ride from Kaohsiung across the Southern Cross Highway (20) to Taidong, then along the coast back to Kaohsiung, perhaps via the 199. But I read from another thread http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=106497&p=1388229&hilit=southern+cross#p1388229 that the road remains closed. Someone please tell me that a motorcycle can cross it? (I'll be on a 150cc cruiser-style motorcycle - not a scooter.) Even if it's closed to most people, I really really want to, plus I'm a nice guy, so that's probably enough to make the road available, right?

Google streetview images appear to be post-Morakot, so that's what made me think it's open. Anybody try riding Southern Cross Highway 20 on a motorcycle in the last couple months?

You could consider doing one of my tours when you visit. Both are sold out for 2012. But I'll probably have 3 for 2013. And it reduces the price if you have your own vehicle: http://hobbicide.com/M13Taiwan/
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 30 Apr 2012, 19:54

Mordeth wrote:You could consider doing one of my tours when you visit. Both are sold out for 2012. But I'll probably have 3 for 2013. And it reduces the price if you have your own vehicle: http://hobbicide.com/M13Taiwan/

I would love to do that one of these years. Looks like a lot of fun.
grandfeller
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 10 May 2012, 05:07

grandfeller wrote:Anybody try riding Southern Cross Highway 20 on a motorcycle in the last couple months?

Here's an interesting site - provides information on roads being restored after disasters.
http://www.thb.gov.tw/tm/Pweb/Pweb_Default.aspx

They're saying the 20 will be restored in December this year. I hope it is so. Think I'll ride up from the west side when the weather's good and take a look.
grandfeller

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 28 Jun 2012, 16:45

Google maps says traveling from Kaohsiung down to Checheng, Pingdong County, then across the 199 and north to Taidong should take about 6 hours. Is this realistic?

I'll be on a 150cc motorcycle and would like to make the trip in one day without having to push myself too hard. Concerned that maybe Google is underestimating the time and I'll be too beat to go out that evening in Taidong. Note that my route, along 199, is longer than the shortest route along highway 9. I want to ride 199 based on recommendations of some posts here.
grandfeller

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Mordeth » 28 Jun 2012, 19:05

grandfeller wrote:Google maps says traveling from Kaohsiung down to Checheng, Pingdong County, then across the 199 and north to Taidong should take about 6 hours. Is this realistic?

Yep....I do that route regularly on my 125 scooter. 6 hours is very realistic....even with the odd 7-11 break.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth

13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 28 Jun 2012, 19:24

Mordeth wrote:I do that route regularly on my 125 scooter. 6 hours is very realistic....even with the odd 7-11 break.

Awesome - thank you; makes me more comfortable about setting out.

Pray tell, why do you regularly use your 125 instead of your big bike?
grandfeller

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Mordeth » 29 Jun 2012, 08:00

grandfeller wrote:
Mordeth wrote:I do that route regularly on my 125 scooter. 6 hours is very realistic....even with the odd 7-11 break.

Awesome - thank you; makes me more comfortable about setting out.

Pray tell, why do you regularly use your 125 instead of your big bike?

Well when I do a lap around the island I do a lot of mountain roads. And the scooter is better suited for the extremely twisty roads. Bike for curvy and mildly twisty....scooter for extreme twisty. Plus I usually want to bring along a dog and rain gear and stuff.....scooter is just 10x more practical.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth

13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby korat » 25 Mar 2014, 11:19

i just did a round trip between Kaoshung (Gaoxiong) and Taidong last weekend. spent 3 something hrs in one trip and traveled around 424km in total. the beauty of east coast of Taiwan totally paid off the time i spent indeed. :)

following are some images i took:

korat
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Previous

Return to Travel in Taiwan