motorcycle touring

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Postby plasmatron » 15 Oct 2003, 17:43

joesax wrote:For me, I think a reasonable 400 would be great for Taiwan's roads and I would neither want nor need anything bigger....

agreed 100%.... 400cc is just the thing for Taiwan... a Honda CB400 would be a *wonderful* bike for Taiwan, more than enough power for anything Taiwan has to offer, outside a track... my only concern lies in the V-Tech system... a wonderful and effective system from Honda for getting better power across the entire rev range from a smaller engine, but an extra set of valves and cams for inexperienced taiwanese mechanics to try and deal with could lead to expensive headaches come the valve reset service at 32,000km...

joesax wrote:
plasmatron wrote:personally I've given up and I'm going to import my own bike from Japan... the process is actually quite easy and since i deal with import/export a lot at work anyway I'm not too concerned about the details...

I'm interested in that. The crucial process seems to be the 'type approval' or whatever they call it, where they approve a bike for Taiwan's roads. Isn't that hideously expensive for a single import?

If you know about this process I'd be really interested.
[/quote]

yes, they really are little sods about the licensing process, but luckily there's ways and means of laughing them off... here's the lowdown on the import process as clearly as anyone will tell me after 2 years of research....

I feel it's split into 3 main phases, so I'll describe what I know in three parts:

1.) Getting the bike to Taiwan:
first you need to find a dealer that does international sales... most will give you a price EXW, which means "ex-works" ie. crated and 'maybe' loaded onto a truck outside their warehouse and from then on it's your responsibility... some may offer CIF pricing, which is "cost, insurance, freight" ie. the price you pay gets it delivered to the port of your choice, but that's expensive... regardless make sure they quote you the price for direct export via a bonded warehouse to be sure your not paying any taxes to the country of origin... for shipping you can get a freight forwarder to deal with it for you, presently I'm checking to find out if it's cheaper to ship a whole 20' container with one lonely bike in it sea freight, or just air freight the crate...

2. Getting the bike through customs:
I'm waiting for the chimps at the customs and immigrations dept. to get back to me with regards what specific paperwork is required, although I'm fairly sure certificate of origin, Form A, and/or Bill of Lading will be enough to silence their insatiable lust for beurocracy... currently import duty for "heavy motorcycles over 249cc" is 24%, add 5% VAT to that and the government tax thugs will be placated... btw, this is all imposed on the value reflected on the air waybill, and like all things in taiwan a well timed hong bao can see a zero being "accidentally" knocked off the total 8-) this process is best handled by a customs broker who know the lay of the land and have the guan xi to smooth the import process... play your cards right and you will have yourself a brand new shiny bike, and a fist full of documents to say that you've paid your dues to A-Bian and his cronies, and let no man claim otherwise... these will be important later...

3. Getting those much sought after yellow plates:
a fairly simple, yet financially daunting process... admittedly it's the part I am least clear on, but let me tell you what I know... you need to present said tax documents to prove that you've paid your dues and the bike didn't "fall off" a container ship in Gaoxiong, as many big bikes in taiwan do... that then grants you the privilege of paying a further NT$49,000 to have some grunt shove an emissions probe in the exhaust to make sure it complies with Taiwan
"freedom is allowed, but not encouraged." Teng Tien-yu, secretary-general, Taiwan central election comittee
Forumosan avatar
plasmatron
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

3 Recommends(s)
20 Recognized(s)

Postby MJB » 15 Oct 2003, 20:02

Sandman,

Not sure where you were so I'm not sure what to say...............Mr. He was with you though, correct? He lives a couple of blocks from me so let me check it out and get back to you............... Beihen rocks for motorcycle touring!

Plasmatron,

The only way my spouse will give the green light for large displacement is if it's totally legal....................So, anything other details (Especially for that F----g EPA test) would be appreciated by many here besides myself. Your lonely bike in the container may have lots of company if you can figure out how to do it!

I've seen some wicked fast Dio's as well. One of them blew the socks of my RZR a few years back. Was so disgusted I spent 10,000NT plus on high-performance engine hop up so that would NEVER happen again! It didn't :twisted:

I'm perfectly happy on a 250 2-stroke when I'm at speed in the mountains. But, at 42, man my back gets sore...................A CB 400 or 600 is more than enough for Taiwan. I saw a CB 400 in Zhongli for 340,000NT out the door. If you can knock a hundred grand off that, I'm sure a LOT of people would be interested..............What were you looking at cost-wise to bring in your 600?

Smoking while riding? Well, not in the safety course, but have you ever had a better smoke? Oops, I can think of at least one better time :wink:
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby tonygo » 16 Oct 2003, 15:26

Taipei to Yilan is a nice ride, I forgot the road number but just went through Hsiendien and kept going. Did it early evening - very quiet and took less than 2 hours. The gravel trucks were generally very courteous.

Does anyone know where you can get a SYM 150 scooter modified in Taiwan to improve performance?
tonygo

short motorcycle trip

Postby Anonymous » 18 Oct 2003, 17:07

Hi there,

Who likes to join me on a short motorcycle trip (2-3 hours) and a 2-3 hour hike tomorrow Sunday Octobre 19?

Starting from Sanxia (Taipei County) over the mountain back roads to Fuxing. Having lunch at the Swiss village restaurant. Than going on to Daxi for a hike up White Stone Mountain. Returning to Sanxia via Ingge.

If weather permits.

I know it's a little late to ask but you never know how the weather will be.

I would like to meet in Sanxia near the Enchu Gong hospital close to SanIng the freeway exit at around 9:30 AM.

Please let me know tonight befor 11:30 PM.

Bottleneck
Anonymous

Postby Joesox » 18 Oct 2003, 18:56

Great idea, Bottleneck. Let us know how it goes. I'm down in Taichung and taking it easy this weekend so can't join you, unfortunately.

Tonygo, re. your question; substantial modifications are illegal and it's very important to preserve the status of this website by not sharing illegal information. However, as your profile says you live in Banqiao it is possible that one of the Taipei residents here may send you a Private Message.
BTW, I've found the same with gravel trucks - they can be very courteous.

Sandman; I hope we can go for a nice fogeys' jaunt one of these days! By the way, had you ever considered getting a bigger back sprocket on your Dragfire? That would give more grunt in the midrange with a bit of a top speed sacrifice. That's how my FZ's set up and it's good for the little twisty back roads around here. Sometimes I take the bike up concrete or even dirt tracks, and I can use that ultra-low first gear for getting up things.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Sunday trip

Postby Anonymous » 18 Oct 2003, 21:23

Well, jus let me know here or in a pm.

Basically, I would meet in the morning in Sanxia because that's probably the best for all. Not everybody lives in Taipei.

Around Sanxia there are a few nice trips to make.
Anonymous

Postby Lord Lucan » 19 Oct 2003, 01:06

The bike for Taiwan is the latest Bonnie. I've seen one in a showroom and it is the embodiment of elegance, nostalgia, and restrained performance. Around $450k, and at 790cc, hard to tax. Stop, Look, and Listen.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Lord Lucan » 19 Oct 2003, 01:07

WTF is "restrained performance" ?! Time for bed.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Triumph

Postby Joesox » 19 Oct 2003, 22:26

Hmmmm... that Bonneville looks lovely on the website ( http://www.triumph.co.uk ). If you got one in Taiwan, you would be very special and those in the know would consider you some kind of a god.

I believe that modern Triumphs have a lot of Japanese parts and a new-fangled thing called 'quality control'. This was not the case in the old days. Riding and maintaining old Triumphs must be right up there with trainspotting as quintessentially eccentric British pursuits.

I think my brother bought a Triumph 250, made in about 1970, because it looked great and the price was OK. After it had spent six months in pieces on his bedroom floor, then he'd taken it round a lot of continental Europe for two months only to have a load of things break again, he must have been reconsidering his decision.

It seems that one aspect of Triumph quality control; that to do with their riding apparel, may still need some work. I recently bought a Triumph Raptor mesh jacket. The basic design is great; The mesh fabric is Cordura; a very abrasion-resistant fabric. It has CE-approved armour in the elbows and shoulders. The mesh makes it plenty cool enough for everything except stoplights, when in the middle of summer I think it will be a bit hot. Still, 'a bit hot' has to be better than 'a bit smashed up'. A guy in a sister school recently spent two days in hospital and a few days off work with a broken shoulder from a riding accident. If he had been wearing a jacket like mine, this probably would not have happened.

Anyway, this OEM product is pretty good, except that the press studs/poppers at the high wrist and biceps which tighten the sleeve to hold the armour well in place, keep coming undone. I've been looking all over for an email address to let Triumph know about this, but I can't find one.
Joesox

ORIGINAL POSTER
7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 19 Oct 2003, 22:36

2300 CCs is what I really need. Come the revolution, this will be the new Maobike.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan