Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

How To Make The Most Out Of Long Flight

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Postby Rascal » 14 Nov 2003, 10:19

I also plan to bring in a couple of bottles of drinking water, just to make sure I don't get too dehydrated.

Don't bother, just ask the flight attendants. Normally they will serve you extra on demand, including snacks (sandwiches, chocolate bars, fruits), even in economy class.
Also expect your drinks to be expected at the gate, liquids are now checked closer since they could pose a threat.

Long flights are a problem for me, never can sleep and economy class is just a pain for me. When I returned to Taiwan a few weeks back (from a holiday) I requested for an aisle seat and was happy to get one - but only on the shuttle flight, on the long haul flight they squezzed me in the middle row. :x
Anyhow, normally I try to kill time by watching all the movies available and reading a book or magazines. Drinking alc (wine) didn't help me when I tried it, instead it made me sick and the whole experience worst.
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Postby Closet Queen » 14 Nov 2003, 11:35

Huang Guang Chen wrote:Not sure. I was quite surprised you'd not heard it. I grew up in Western Australia but lived most of my adult life in Sydney and increasingly Taiwan. I've used this term for eons and not once had anyone express any uncertainty as to its meaning.
HG

Oh dear, nowI feel dumb! Perhaps it's Australian then cos I'm from Britiain and I don't recall encountering it. Sorry to harp on so, but I've got a thing for words. Maybe I need to to find an Ozzie English Dictionary.
"Honey, I've blown a guy just to get him outta my house."
Forumosan avatar
Closet Queen
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby Jack Burton » 14 Nov 2003, 11:47

Big Fluffy Matthew wrote:I once got a comfy seat at the front with a nice view. Then the pilot came in and threw me out :|

once the stewardess took 3 kids into the cockpit to speak with the captain (I was one of these kids). the captain gave us a geography test with some prizes to give out. I was the only one who could name afghanistan, and kabul, and ukraine. pilot looked all pissed off at me. he kept wanting the little kid on my right to say something. ended up giving that kid the better prize. jerk.

that airline was later bought out by Air Canada or Canadian (the airline was WardAir)

I don't like to drink on airplane, makes me feel worse. i just make myself sleep, wake up watch a movie, eat, goto toilet, sleep, another movie, more sleep.
but one time i couldnt sleep. so i got all antsy and claustrophobic, I had to work up and down the aisle.. up and down.
and then sometimes I would dream that the perfect lady would sit beside me and strike up a conversation. needless to say, still an unrealized dream.
Forumosan avatar
Jack Burton
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

4 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby TNT » 14 Nov 2003, 11:51

So where do you get valium in Taiwan?
and whats the best dosage?
Nuair a bhíonn an fíon istigh,
bíonn an ciall amuigh
TNT
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby TNT » 14 Nov 2003, 11:56

and where do you get those blown up neck braces that also function as a pillow... I have seen them before...
My neck always ends up badly twisted on a flight
Nuair a bhíonn an fíon istigh,
bíonn an ciall amuigh
TNT
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 14 Nov 2003, 12:02

Closet Q. Looks like it is indeed Australian slang. The definition provided is uncannily similar to the on I gave.

Rock up : to turn up, to arrive - "we rocked up at their house at 8pm"

Yours in wordsmithery.

HG
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby The Big Babou » 14 Nov 2003, 12:04

Ok guys, thanks for the drug advice... usually I stay up all night the night before and have a coupla drinks before I board. The last time I flew, I fell asleep before takeoff and woke up as we were landing. So, I seem to have that one worked out, but because this flight will take a little longer, I'm a little worried about waking up and not being able to get back to sleep.

I will definitely gety one of those inflatable pillows that wrap around your neck; I've seen the look of rapture on the people who use them...

What about luggage... I have about 200kg of stuff that I want to return with. Although I may freight/post some of it back, I'd like some tips on how to send as much as possible through the airline (at no extra cost)...

Cheers,

The Big Babou
Forumosan avatar
The Big Babou
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 14 Nov 2003, 12:10

Big B, are you returning to Oz for a period of time?

Box it back. It's very cheap (or was last time I did it). Different airlines react differently to overweight baggage. I think my best has been around 40kg. That time as I was checking in the woman made some comment and I grabbed one of the bags and muttered that I'd take it on as hand luggage. She let it go. You could be lucky or . . if you have to pay. Ouch!

Actually I think Thai cut me some slack once too. Don't know that they usually do.

HG
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby miso » 14 Nov 2003, 15:03

What about luggage... I have about 200kg of stuff that I want to return with

Oh my god, this is going to cost you a fortune. A friend of mine works at a check in, here's the rule: If your flying economy class, 20kg is officially allowed, as stated on your ticket, but where he works, they turn a blind eye on it until 29kg. Starting from 30kg, you have to pay every kg, include the 9kg, they turn a blind eye on. I don't remember the price per kg, but it's huge!!!!! If I were you, I would try every other possibility, but checking it in.....

Just a little advice from a former poor student with usually lots of luggage..... :D
miso

Postby Rascal » 14 Nov 2003, 15:37

What about luggage... I have about 200kg of stuff that I want to return with. Although I may freight/post some of it back, I'd like some tips on how to send as much as possible through the airline (at no extra cost)...

Fly First Class. ;)

But seriously, this is going to cost you. I did a flight once with 52kg, shuttle on economy and long haul on business so they started counting from 30kg. First the rounded down to 50kg and then charged me only for 15 additional kg, very kind actually.
It still cost me around USD40/kg though from Malaysia to Germany - for clothes I could have bought new (but then you don't start throwing them away if you are already at the airport ...).
You can ask the airline about the charges, it might differ between them and of course depends on the actual distance.

IMHO air freight is the same charges if you drag the stuff to the counter, else you would need to pay for pick up and delivery services (e.g. if you use a moving company). They do take care of the paper work for you though.
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan