Campsites in Taiwan

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Campsites in Taiwan

Postby Mr He » 21 Apr 2005, 12:29

I have been enjoying to go to this little peice of heaven for a bit of weekend camping for some time, and I am now looking for other campsites with decent facilities, on or near site eating and restocking of essentials possdibilities, and not too many chicken-bone trowing, karaoke singing rednecks to ruin the fun, when going there on your average weekend.

I would like to hear if any of you know any good campsites, you can recommend. Doesn't really matter where, as long as they are good, and are an excellent frame for a few days of discovering, relaxing, and having a good time.

Any takers?
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
41 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 21 Apr 2005, 12:55

Taian, in Miaoli County, is a nice place to go camping. The campsite is part of one of the hotspring hotels. It didn't have showers when I was there but it did have bathrooms. In any case there was a river right there to bathe in as well as the communal hot springs. I think it was only $150 for unlimited use. The hotel also has adventure activities like abseiling and river tracing.

Taian has 5 long hikes (4-5 hours, and one that could take up to 10 hours) and other short ones. The river is pristine as it flows in from Sheiba National Park. There are several hot spring hotels with decent to excellent facilities. The food is great (aboriginal and hakka) and the scenery wonderful. It's only 90 minutes from Taipei.

Pinglin is also nice. Good biking around there (including a marked 25km route and mountain bike circuit), and lots of hiking. The river is also very clean and you can swim in some parts. Your children will love all the fish in the water.

The main campground can get too crowded but there were other spots further down the river. However, some of them had to close. Next time I am there I will check out campgrounds. If you go before then go to the Tea Museum for information.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

635 Recognized(s)

Postby Mugatu » 05 May 2005, 15:48

Can anyone reccomend a campsite nearby a decent beach for swimming/football/BBQing? Preferably one that will be open now or in the next couple of weeks.
Forumosan avatar
Mugatu
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Steeevieboy » 05 May 2005, 16:08

Fulong!
Steeevieboy
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby Mucha Man » 05 May 2005, 18:41

Or Jinshan.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

635 Recognized(s)

Postby seeker4 » 05 May 2005, 20:50

Muzha Man wrote:Taian, in Miaoli County

AND

Pinglin is also nice.

MM,

Can you provide some simple directions, from Taipei?

====================

As for other camping spots, I've only experienced two, but they were both nice. "In season," one or both might be busy.

The first is in the little port town of Fugang, about 10km north of Taidong on the east coast. The campground is right on the small, main road, on the beach side, adjacent to the harbor and fish market. Nice access to the ocean. Good showers, fire pits, sites. I believe it is called "Shauleliou" or something similar.

The second is on Green Island. It is on the south end of the island and is the only campground there. Sits on a hillside overlooking the ocean, shaded by a bunch of old trees. Simple, but nice facilities and showers.

I'd be interested in any other spots as well. Considering the approaching summer season, maybe someone can suggest cooler campsites in the terrific mountains of Taiwan.
"There is a benefit even in misfortune, for it is the rod with which a man can measure the loyalty of friends."
-Tirukkural 80:796 (Hindu text)
seeker4
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 05 May 2005, 22:08

Both are pretty simple to get to. Pinglin is on the number 9 highway between Xindian and Yilan. Do you know how to get to the 9?

Taian is off provincial highway 3 in Miaoli County. You could take the provincial highway all the way down from Taipei (if you are taking a scooter) or take National Highway 3 down and get off on the 6 and pass through Miaoli City. The roads were changing last time I was there but just follow the signs to provincial 3 and Dahu. Taian is off provincial 3 on county road 62 around Dahu. Any simple map will show it. It's out of the way but not at all obscure.

I'm planning a hiking club trip down there in June to tackle the old tree trail if you want to check it out then.

BTW, I did a pretty detailled write up of both areas (including maps with locations of campsite) in the new Lonely Planet.

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

635 Recognized(s)

Postby seeker4 » 06 May 2005, 08:43

Muzha Man wrote:Both are pretty simple to get to.

AND

I'm planning a hiking club trip down there in June to tackle the old tree trail if you want to check it out then.

BTW, I did a pretty detailed write up of both areas (including maps with locations of campsite) in the new Lonely Planet.

Good pointers, and now I have a reason to seek out the latest Lonely Planet!

Sure, keep me posted on the hiking trip. That might work out nicely.

Thanks.
"There is a benefit even in misfortune, for it is the rod with which a man can measure the loyalty of friends."
seeker4

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Mugatu » 06 May 2005, 10:47

Is the campsite at Fulong open now?
Forumosan avatar
Mugatu

Postby seeker4 » 06 May 2005, 11:23

Mugatu wrote:Is the campsite at Fulong open now?

It was open for the adventure race last weekend. I got the impression that it was open in general, but can't swear to that.
seeker4

2 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Travel in Taiwan