Mazu islands (Mazu)

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Mazu islands (Mazu)

Postby jwcampbell » 17 Jun 2006, 14:58

jwcampbell
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Poagao » 19 Jun 2006, 16:50

Has anyone taken the boat from Keelung (Jilong) to Matzu? If so, when does it leave and how long does it take?
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
77 Recognized(s)

Postby Rascal » 19 Jun 2006, 20:19

Poagao wrote:Has anyone taken the boat from Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong) to Matzu? If so, when does it leave and how long does it take?

My colleague says around 9pm but you have to be there at 8pm to check-in. Note that the ferry goes Keelung (Jilong) - Dongyin - Nangan - Keelung (Jilong) or Keelung (Jilong) - Nangan - Dongyin - Keelung (Jilong) on alternating days.

I did the opposite direction sometime last year, took around 2 hours from Nangan to Dongyin, short stop of around 30 minutes and another 6 hours or so to Keelung (Jilong). My colleague and me rented a business class cabin (4 beds), first class is also available (2 beds) - or economy (dormitory style) if you are on a budget. I think the business class was only NTD400 more on top of the 800 for economy.
They also have a coffee shop that sells snacks and drinks (I recommend the cappuccino) and there is an area to sit / eat. Or go up on the roof and enjoy the view, if weather permits. During my trip we had heavy fog but the sea was calm at least (kind of spooky actually).

Here is the link to the company that runs the service, supposingly you can get prices there and also make a booking (can't see it, it's all garbled in my browser): http://www.shinhwa.com.tw/
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Postby Poagao » 19 Jun 2006, 23:01

Thanks, Rascal. Are there ATMs and/or convenience stores there or should I just bring wads o' cash?

(edit: moderators, feel free to move this to the real Matzu thread.)
Forumosan avatar
Poagao

5 Recommends(s)
77 Recognized(s)

Postby Rascal » 20 Jun 2006, 10:44

Poagao wrote:Thanks, Rascal. Are there ATMs and/or convenience stores there or should I just bring wads o' cash?

They got ATMs and just recently 2 shiny new 7-11s on Nangan island. Otherwise there are some local stores spread around, though they don't open 24 hours (AFAIK). Don't expect the same on Xijue island though. ;)
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Re: Mazu islands (Mazu)

Postby milkalex » 20 Apr 2012, 17:19

Hey,

I know that thread is pretty old but so is uniair.com.tw! It says I can only browse the website with IE 5.5... it's impossible to select anything as the scripts are not supported in any other browser. How can I book tickets on that website? I tried to book via expedia but of course all flights are always fully booked...any ideas?
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan