Bei Da Wu Hiking Report

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Bei Da Wu Hiking Report

Postby Pingdong » 17 Feb 2012, 00:13

i can see that.

(I've even been told just to forget about it for some routes, and go off and hike, when I know you're meant to have a mtn permit).

certainly you can do that on beidawu. no one checks, and its all good. but I read somewhere if you need rescue and you dont have permit (beidawu you dont get a permit, they just copy your records) then you are stuck with a bill....is that true?

I don't go on that trail without a permit, but I am all through the mountains here and there is no one but aboriginal hunters around most of the time. no one here really cares save the rescue dudes. in the last few months I have seen them going up to beidawu 3 times.....each time a few full vehicles going fast and asking us if they saw XXX people with worried/angry expressions lol.

seen as it takes really 5 mins and you dont even need ot really speak to the cops for this mountain, you may as well.

the sleeping area has a great campsite. running water, toilets (squat) and wooden platforms for tents....we tented there and it was like a hilton in the hills as far as im concerned. when i first came to Taiwan i kind of laughed a bit as they have these extravagant buildings out in the harsh mountains....now i kind of enjoy having them :discodance: beats teh hell out of spending a few hours in search of water or sleeping on roots!
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby spunkymonkey » 17 Feb 2012, 08:04

certainly you can do that on beidawu. no one checks, and its all good. but I read somewhere if you need rescue and you dont have permit (beidawu you dont get a permit, they just copy your records) then you are stuck with a bill....is that true?

You do get a permit. When you stop at the police station, you're applying for the mountain entry permit.
Forumosan avatar
spunkymonkey
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Pingdong » 18 Feb 2012, 03:43

really? they have not once ever given me anything but a xie xie and a bye bye. I give them my arc they copy it and that has been it, everytime. they have given me permission, but never actually handed me any sort of permit.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby meczko » 29 Feb 2012, 05:52

Hi again!

many thanks for all your advice. Finally, we did not attempt Bei Da Wu, as weather forecast was quite bad for those days. In result we spent an enjoyable day walking and monkey-watching around Shoushan in Kaohsiung and the bad weather came one day later than predicted.

Anyway, after our experiences in this super-friendly country we are very eager to visit Taiwan again, so maybe we will have another chance for Bei Da Wu another time? I'll keep information from this thread just in case.

Cheers!
meczko
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Brendon » 29 Feb 2012, 06:02

Pingdong wrote:its not just hiking that this works with. business operation, export licenses/inspections etc all have this bull shit to deal with, but its all just on the computers. if you show up in the flesh and get the people to use their own fingers, magical things happen and after a bunch of confusing hours wasted, it all works out. Taiwanese web development is sadly very poor, that is the root of the problem i feel.

As an aside, I believe the reason is that Taiwanese ID numbers have a checksum digit on the end, whereas ARC numbers either don't or use a different algorithm. So there's some bit of PHP code floating around that everyone just uses (I have a copy of it somewhere), and it rejects ARCs.
Brendon
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

7 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 03 Apr 2012, 10:50

thats way over my head :)

Anyone know the GPS coords for the summit? And anyone gone through the back side of beidawu and out Taidong?
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby H5N1 » 03 Apr 2012, 10:57

22° 37.624'N 120° 45.683'E
Coooool water sandwich
Forumosan avatar
H5N1

6 Recognized(s)

Postby H5N1 » 07 Apr 2012, 23:33

Is there anyone thinking about going up Bei Dawu in the next few months? I'd like to go back, but I'm under orders from the old lady not to go alone.
Coooool water sandwich
Forumosan avatar
H5N1

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 08 Apr 2012, 01:18

I plan on it but I'm keep getting distracted by laziness. I was hoping to do it before the April/May rains started though...
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

128 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 10 Apr 2012, 14:39

I might be up for it depending if its a weekend and if I have to work. The mountains here are raining now, despite being cloudy/sunny/hazy in the flats. the last 3 weekends I have been in the mountains near there and it has always at least drizzled a little. last weekend it just downright POURED.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan