Bei Da Wu Hiking Report

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Bei Da Wu Hiking Report

Postby Pingdong » 07 Feb 2012, 00:34

in a pinch the outer deck area of the sleeping area is covered, so you could sleep there if you dont have a tent, chilly up there though.

This is Pingdong though, not Taipei. its not complicated. Go let the cop photocopy your ARC and you are basically done. the only real reason for you to bother at the police station is in case of an emergency you wont need to pay for evacuation, if you go without stopping in I think you are liable for anything that happens. Someone correct me if im wrong.

I have been going down to Kending a lot lately so thought i should take a pic of the turn off road 185. This is the turn to BeidaWu coming form Sandimen (from north going south). Dont quote me but the turn is around KM 40-42 I think. turn left here, the cop shop is about 5 mins later, then another 30 mins to the "new trail head".

These pics are just right after the military base. The turn is a few hundred meters south of the base.

Meczko, if you are stuck getting up there, I am 95% sure I am in the mountains around here all this weekend, so if you need a lift pm me and i will give you my cell # and i can give you a ride up if you are going friday night/saturday morning.

the thing around here is it can be sunny and looking good down here at the base of the hills, and it can be intense rain up there. I remember a few weeks ago I went up there late at night. it was totally clear, stars, no moos so real crisp. once we got close it started raining and we turned back as it was like a typhoon power downpour. winter is often good, but this year is just not normal, it POURED yesterday here when I was gardening on my roof.....
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 07 Feb 2012, 00:38

You turn left just past the 40km mark.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby meczko » 08 Feb 2012, 23:53

Pingdong, many thanks! I am sending you a PM.
meczko
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby spunkymonkey » 13 Feb 2012, 13:18

Found the link

http://recreation.forest.gov.tw/askform ... Login.aspx

But you'll need a Taiwanese ID to apply as the site won't recognise ARC numbers.
Forumosan avatar
spunkymonkey
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Pingdong » 14 Feb 2012, 02:50

thats a pain, there are numerous gov sites that dont recognize ARC #
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby spunkymonkey » 14 Feb 2012, 16:25

It is. It's getting to be a bit of a problem. Taroko National Park, Yangming Shan National Park, and the now National Polices Agency's mountain entry permit site all don't recognise ARC numbers.

I've emailed Taroko about it numerous times and just get ridiculous answers back saying that foreigners need to have a Taiwanese leader in order to get permits. But then they say if I ask them to apply for me they might be able to give a me a permit without a Taiwanese leader.
Forumosan avatar
spunkymonkey

Postby Pingdong » 16 Feb 2012, 00:46

it is only an issue when computer automation is used. things like beidawushan they just photo copy your arc and there is really nothing more. you show up and get it done, get there before midnight and I don't see why prior registration is even needed...

its not just hiking that this works with. business operation, export licenses/inspections etc all have this bull shit to deal with, but its all just on the computers. if you show up in the flesh and get the people to use their own fingers, magical things happen and after a bunch of confusing hours wasted, it all works out. Taiwanese web development is sadly very poor, that is the root of the problem i feel.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 16 Feb 2012, 12:53

Pingdong wrote:it is only an issue when computer automation is used. things like beidawushan they just photo copy your arc and there is really nothing more. you show up and get it done, get there before midnight and I don't see why prior registration is even needed...

I'd say that's true for the police stations (I've even been told just to forget about it for some routes, and go off and hike, when I know you're meant to have a mtn permit).
But Taroko Park HQ do seem to get flustered by the swerveball of Big Noses turning up and wanting park permits.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby spunkymonkey » 16 Feb 2012, 13:57

You just need to apply online before hand if you want to reserve a space in the cabin. Otherwise you'll need to carry a tent up in case there's no space when you get there. Only really applies to weekends too.

I suspect that with most of the sites it's because they haven't thought that foreigners may want to use the site. But with Taroko it's definitely because they don't really want foreigners going off the beaten path on their own.
Forumosan avatar
spunkymonkey

Postby Jah Lynnie » 16 Feb 2012, 14:07

It's fall out from the Fred Frontier MIA case and previous to that the Swiss guy who got stuck on the Jhuilu Trail (before it was renovated) and had to be rescued. The park authorities have been paranoid ever since especially considering how accessible it is.
Jah Lynnie

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan