Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Hsinchu MRT

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Hsinchu (Xinzhu) MRT

Postby headhonchoII » 12 Jul 2012, 14:02

Toe Save wrote:
beppi wrote:There is no work on (and as far as I know also no plans for) an MRT connection to the science park.

Why not for pete's sake? That's just inane. Guang Fu E Road is the busiest road in Taiwan.There has to be a stop by SP, or why bother?

Accchhhh!!!! I'll never understand this culture.

Yep, it's crazy. That road is one of the worst roads in any city in Taiwan. The science park really needs a public transport option.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1618 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Re: Hsinchu MRT

Postby the bear » 12 Jul 2012, 15:15

DongMenCheng wrote:I don't get it. If it's a regular TRA train can't they just make it go faster between stops like the trains on the regular line do to Junan and Zhubei? Or would that just make too much sense?

OK I'll spell it out for y'all. There is no MRT. That train is just the old Neiwan spur line rerouted. It was part of the deal when Zhubei was given the HSR cashcow that they would reroute the Neiwan line through East Hsinchu. It can't go faster because its a local train designed to take punters to Neiwan at the weekend to stuff their faces; its not meant to go fast. Y'all gotta forget about this MRT business.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

28 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby nemesis » 12 Jul 2012, 17:06

headhonchoII wrote:
Toe Save wrote:
beppi wrote:There is no work on (and as far as I know also no plans for) an MRT connection to the science park.

Why not for pete's sake? That's just inane. Guang Fu E Road is the busiest road in Taiwan.There has to be a stop by SP, or why bother?

Yep, it's crazy. That road is one of the worst roads in any city in Taiwan. The science park really needs a public transport option.

I never understood why it couldn't run to the science park; it would certainly boost usage and make a profit, and probably wouldn't cost a fortune to build one or two extra stops a bit further south. Add park and pay areas at a few of the stations and you've got a winner for sure.

The Liujia Line is not fast, but on weekdays, if you have time, it's a nice little ride. I once took it in lieu of a taxi and saved a bundle of cash. I understand why it's not called an MRT, but don't entirely understand why; surely it's cheaper to build an MRT-style system than to use standard trains on standard rails. Oh well. It's transport from one station to the other, and it's dirt cheap. Surely that's worth something.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
Forumosan avatar
nemesis
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

11 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 12 Jul 2012, 19:10

nemesis wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:
Toe Save wrote:

I never understood why it couldn't run to the science park; it would certainly boost usage and make a profit, and probably wouldn't cost a fortune to build one or two extra stops a bit further south. Add park and pay areas at a few of the stations and you've got a winner for sure.

The Liujia Line is not fast, but on weekdays, if you have time, it's a nice little ride. I once took it in lieu of a taxi and saved a bundle of cash. I understand why it's not called an MRT, but don't entirely understand why; surely it's cheaper to build an MRT-style system than to use standard trains on standard rails. Oh well. It's transport from one station to the other, and it's dirt cheap. Surely that's worth something.

Taipei to Hsinchu HSR....31 minutes
Hsinchu HSR to Hsinchu Railway Station....25 minutes

so the time you save on the HSR is completely negated; great success!
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear

28 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby DongMenCheng » 13 Jul 2012, 10:04

nemesis wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:
Toe Save wrote:

Again, actually building the bloody line on Guangfu would make too much sense right? I mean you'd actually have PEOPLE, students from Qinghua and Jiaotong and Science Park workers and engineers and the like actually using this thing to get home to Zhubei or to the HSR to points farther on. That would be too Taipei for Hsinchu's liking. A mass transit option that actually serves the people and serves to get the bloody traffic off the road. They'll probably have to build another bloody MRT-like line in 10 years anyway for that purpose, around the Hsinchu and Zhubei downtown/commercial areas. That HWY#1 is brutal, slowing to a crawl every time u get near the Science Park. I don't know how people still put up with it everyday, crawling along for 30mins to an hour just to get across the bridge from Zhubei into Hsinchu to get to work in the SP.
DongMenCheng
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

9 Recommends(s)

Postby the bear » 13 Jul 2012, 11:29

DongMenCheng wrote:
nemesis wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:
Toe Save wrote:

Again, actually building the bloody line on Guangfu would make too much sense right? I mean you'd actually have PEOPLE, students from Qinghua and Jiaotong and Science Park workers and engineers and the like actually using this thing to get home to Zhubei or to the HSR to points farther on. That would be too Taipei for Hsinchu's liking. A mass transit option that actually serves the people and serves to get the bloody traffic off the road. They'll probably have to build another bloody MRT-like line in 10 years anyway for that purpose, around the Hsinchu and Zhubei downtown/commercial areas. That HWY#1 is brutal, slowing to a crawl every time u get near the Science Park. I don't know how people still put up with it everyday, crawling along for 30mins to an hour just to get across the bridge from Zhubei into Hsinchu to get to work in the SP.

The Science Park is a transportation clusterfuck made even worse by the fact that neither Tsinghua or Chiaotong will allow access roads to run through them. So even to get to Guangfu from the Science Park requires labyrinthine maneuverings, some of which change according to the time of day/week.
Forumosan avatar
the bear

28 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby nemesis » 13 Jul 2012, 16:44

the bear wrote:
DongMenCheng wrote:
nemesis wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:
Toe Save wrote:

The Science Park is a transportation clusterfuck made even worse by the fact that neither Tsinghua or Chiaotong will allow access roads to run through them. So even to get to Guangfu from the Science Park requires labyrinthine maneuverings, some of which change according to the time of day/week.

It's the stuff of nightmares. :thumbsdown: And to make matters worse, it's probably only a matter of time before the Dongda/Guangfu viaduct is lengthened, when they could have just used the money and resources to build an effective transportation system. Don't even get me started about Science Park traffic... or the douchebaggery of the Universities mentioned. I think at one point, Tsinghua tacitly allowed scooter access, but not anymore. And the fact that there are about five street names used and reused with numbers all over the SP only confuses people who aren't there every day, slowing the traffic even more (assuming that's possible). A little common sense would go a LONG way, here.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
Forumosan avatar
nemesis

11 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 13 Jul 2012, 17:43

nemesis wrote:
It's the stuff of nightmares. :thumbsdown: And to make matters worse, it's probably only a matter of time before the Dongda/Guangfu viaduct is lengthened, when they could have just used the money and resources to build an effective transportation system. Don't even get me started about Science Park traffic... or the douchebaggery of the Universities mentioned. I think at one point, Tsinghua tacitly allowed scooter access, but not anymore. And the fact that there are about five street names used and reused with numbers all over the SP only confuses people who aren't there every day, slowing the traffic even more (assuming that's possible). A little common sense would go a LONG way, here.

Chiaoda also allowed scooters to use its weird scooter thoroughfare up until the beginning of the year. Now its access-controlled.
Forumosan avatar
the bear

28 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Re: Hsinchu MRT

Postby DongMenCheng » 15 Jul 2012, 06:14

Actually Hsinchu is just one big traffic cluster fuck, but that's why we love it right? :bravo:

They're really gonna destroy the nice part of Guangfu near Qinghua where all the big shady trees are with an ungodly viaduct, when they coulda just easily put in a tram up the length of it from downtown to Zhudong and solved a lot of problems cheaper and more easily?
DongMenCheng
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

9 Recommends(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan