Advice for Taroko Gorge/Hualian trip

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Advice for Taroko Gorge/Hualian trip

Postby acid1394 » 09 Sep 2010, 14:51

generally speaking, I'd wear a bloody helmet scooting through the gorge and on some trails. my car has been pounded twice by relatively small rocks that make very deep impressions. had it been my head, i reckon I'd make the apple daily. also had a near miss on the scoot once.

scooting by the baiyang trail (the one that got covered up) was surreal when I was there last month. they cleaned the road for ten minutes an hour and one had the impression that the whole face was going to fall at any time.
acid1394
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

6 Recommends(s)

Postby Abacus » 09 Sep 2010, 20:48

I misread the previous post.
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

109 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby spunkymonkey » 09 Sep 2010, 23:10

Muzha Man wrote:spunky, the new Baiyang is the trail I mentioned below. My contact at the park says it's six hours return, which means about 3 for you and your gang.

Cheers. Though 3 hours might be a bit optimistic! Thinking of giving it a go this weekend..... providing this typhoon hurries up and buggers off!
Forumosan avatar
spunkymonkey
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby jayjay » 04 Mar 2011, 14:50

Sorry for digging up an old thread... I plan on going to Taroko National Park in April.

Is there any public transport, be it bus or taxi, plying the route from the park entrance to Tienhsiang and then back? (among other things I'm planning to do the Baiyang Trail).

I read somewhere there are buses from Hualian and Hsincheng to Tienhsiang but I'm not sure if they make any stops in between... maybe I should just resort to hitchhiking :D
jayjay
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby StevenCrook » 04 Mar 2011, 15:21

jayjay wrote:Is there any public transport, be it bus or taxi, plying the route from the park entrance to Tianxiang and then back? (among other things I'm planning to do the Baiyang Trail).

I read somewhere there are buses from Hualian and Xincheng to Tianxiang, but I'm not sure if they make any stops in between... maybe I should just resort to hitchhiking :D

I blogged about this over a year ago. The situation hasn't changed since I last checked, some months back.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 04 Mar 2011, 16:01

Yeah it's about the same. Just a few buses a day.

BUT, you can rent a decent bike right outside the Xincheng train station. Anyone who is moderately fit can ride up the Gorge to Tianxiang.

Leave early to miss some of the tour buses. Highly recommended. And there are taxis from the Xincheng train station.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby jayjay » 04 Mar 2011, 16:12

StevenCrook wrote: I blogged about this over a year ago. The situation hasn't changed since I last checked, some months back.

Thanks for the link. By the way do you know if any of the buses stop near the Tunnel of Nine Turns?

Feiren wrote:Yeah it's about the same. Just a few buses a day.

BUT, you can rent a decent bike right outside the Xincheng train station. Anyone who is moderately fit can ride up the Gorge to Tianxiang.

Leave early to miss some of the tour buses. Highly recommended. And there are taxis from the Xincheng train station.

Cycling is my favourite sport so that's a fantastic idea! :thumbsup:

I plan to go in the middle of the week - is it safe sharing the narrow roads with all those buses and cars?

When you rent a bike does it come with a helmet, plus a chain and lock so you can leave it somewhere (while walking a trail) and have piece of mind it will be there when you return? Anyone know if you can you ride a bike on any of the trails?
jayjay

Postby Mucha Man » 04 Mar 2011, 16:22

No can't ride a bike on the trails. Would only be possible in any case on bits of Shakadang.

If you want a better bike with locks and bags rent from the Giant shop in Hualian at the Parkview Hotel. If you really like riding don't miss Highway 14 out by Liyu Lake. It's not really a highway but a winding narrow road up the Mugua River corridor, which is like a wilder version of Taroko Gorge. Can rent Giant bikes at Liyu Lake or ride from Hualian to the lake on a marked path. Hardly any traffic on this road.

Also note that the Baiyang Trail is a lot longer and tougher than it used to be as the old tunnel entrance is gone.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

716 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 04 Mar 2011, 16:45

Here are the bikes and rates for the Xincheng Giant Station.

The number is (03)8610479 if you want to reserve a particular bike.

They come with locks and chains but not saddlebags.

During the week, it's reasonably safe. It's best in the very early morning and the evenings in terms of traffic.

This completely insane person rode a unicycle on Zhuilu Trail.

MM is right. You can get a better bike in town. There is also another Giant rental station right at Hualian station on the left as you exit the station.

You can take bikes on local commuter trains (i.e Hualien->Xincheng)

I strongly suspect that the Xincheng scooter rental people will rent you a scooter without a license.
Feiren

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 04 Mar 2011, 16:50

When did the Giant shop open next to the train station? That's great. Wasn't there a year ago. Do they have multi-day rentals there that you know of?

As for scooters, you can rent a scooter across the Hualian train station at Pony without a license. You can also simply go to the Taroko Vistor Centre and ask one of the English speaking staff to help you. They will call a scooter shop to deliver a scooter to the centre. Again, no license needed.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

716 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Travel in Taiwan