Caoling Historical Trail

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Caoling Historical Trail

Postby flatcap » 04 Apr 2003, 14:06

Has anyone walked the Caoling Historical Trail (
flatcap

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sandman » 04 Apr 2003, 14:47

I went there a year or two ago. We got off at Fulong station and walked back up the road in the Keelung (Jilong) direction til' we got to the gas station, where we turned left and walked up the smaller road towards Shuili for about a kilometer. Then you turn left again up an even smaller road to the trailhead. There's a fair bit of uphill, mostly on stone steps, but nothing too serious -- plenty of tai-tais in high heels who didn't seem to be struggling. You come out at a big temple at the other end which is very near the train station. Quite a pleasant walk, but it gets pretty crowded at the weekend.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby wix » 05 Apr 2003, 19:19

I did it a few years ago. I think it would be easier to find the way if you started at Gongliao, but I suppose it is not difficult to ask someone if you're not sure. I think about 4 hours should be enough time and there is quite a bit of uphill walking.

I posted a few brief details on my web site at http://taiwan.8m.net/daytrips.html#tsaoling
Forumosan avatar
wix
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby flatcap » 06 Apr 2003, 12:02

Thanks for the tips.
I found this Chinese page. http://gis.tpc.gov.tw/Human2/Tourism/Ol ... ath69.html
The map about halfway down seems to suggest that getting off at Fulong as sandman did leaves you slightly closer to the trailhead than if you got off at Gongliao. The page claims a 50-minute walk from Fulong to the start of the trail.
flatcap

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby jenpenguin » 06 Apr 2003, 13:01

It will be much fun if you go there during the bad weather,expecially during the raining day, no body was there, so you would be experienced of strong wind when you arrive
jenpenguin
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

x

Return to Travel in Taiwan