Penghu - the Alternative Guide

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Penghu - the Alternative Guide

Postby planet2wheels » 26 Jan 2010, 17:36

I set this website up in 2006 - mainly because so many people kept asking me where to go in Penghu, I felt the easiest way to reply was via a website.

www.penghu-guide.amazing.co.im

There's quite a bit which needs to be updated - new/additional restaurants, Unfaithful pub has closed (now an indonesian workers hang-out). Planning on updating it soon; also for cycling - what a great place! Hire bikes possible in Magong, bike stations at the airport & most towns; great coastal bike paths along the coast line - especially Guo Ye (planning to put all this on the website soon).
Don't trust a politician who doesn't ride a bike..
Forumosan avatar
planet2wheels
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Re: Penghu - the Alternative Guide

Postby fanglangzhe » 20 Feb 2010, 18:06

Great website there. You mention a new beach side b&b in cheng qian, any more details on the place?

Also, in the nightlife section, what is the place in the 2 side by side photos at the very top? Place looks good.

Would much appreciate your info.
fanglangzhe
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby planet2wheels » 14 Mar 2010, 10:03

That place is between Sunny Colony pub and Cognac pub, in the alleys. It's quite a cool coffee shop, open quite late (i.e. its on the 'pub crawl' circuit).

I'm trying to find a website for the Cheng Qian place - it looks really cool now. But I've still to talk to anyone who's stayed there. Watch this space.
Don't trust a politician who doesn't ride a bike..
Forumosan avatar
planet2wheels

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Postby MilkTeaJack » 14 Mar 2010, 10:45

awesome info. can't wait for the updated website! thanks for the work!
twitter: jackge

Do right by yourself, you'll do right for others.
Do right by others, you'll do right for yourself.
Then on your final day of reckoning, there'll be no blame for living the life you lived.
Forumosan avatar
MilkTeaJack
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby fanglangzhe » 02 Jun 2010, 21:44

Hi planet2wheels, can you let us know the schedule for updating the penghu alternative guide website? Any more info on that new Cheng Qian b&b?
fanglangzhe

3 Recognized(s)

Postby vitalpenghu » 08 Aug 2010, 07:38

Hi,

Just to add to the great info on the Penghu Alternative Guide...I'm a resident who's been working on a website called Vital Penghu. It's a collection of reviews, articles and photographs of the Penghu archipelago. If you're heading to Penghu, you might like to check it out in addition to the Alternative Guide. It contains some key information about Magong City including restaurants, pubs, beaches, accommodation and the surrounding islands. It's a work in progress that I will be adding to over time and I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions that you might have. The site's main purpose is to help people who take up residence on the islands but I hope visitors can find it useful too.

http://vitalpenghu.wordpress.com/

Cheers,

Ash.
Vital Penghu : a collection of all things penghu
http://vitalpenghu.wordpress.com/
vitalpenghu
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby hhc1482 » 08 Aug 2010, 10:35

I'm not sure if this is true or not, I've only been to Penghu once. But I think they have some special blend of ice cream made from cactus flowers. It tasted orangie but then again I could just be a bumbling tourist...
hhc1482

Postby tommy525 » 08 Aug 2010, 13:44

planet2wheels wrote:I set this website up in 2006 - mainly because so many people kept asking me where to go in Penghu, I felt the easiest way to reply was via a website.

http://www.penghu-guide.amazing.co.im

There's quite a bit which needs to be updated - new/additional restaurants, Unfaithful pub has closed (now an indonesian workers hang-out). Planning on updating it soon; also for cycling - what a great place! Hire bikes possible in Magong, bike stations at the airport & most towns; great coastal bike paths along the coast line - especially Guo Ye (planning to put all this on the website soon).

Great guide and Penghu seems so much fun now. I was there only once and that was spring time back in the late 70s I think. Stayed only a few hours and flew on to Tainan.

It would really help the islands development if the TW govt will allow visa runs to be done by going to the island, although its part of the ROC of course. But hey, crazy idea but would stimulate the local economy if all those people not needing a new visa but just wanted to get out and come back in on a landing visa would be able to use Penghu for that purpose? Keeps the money in Taiwan.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
317 Recognized(s)

Postby fanglangzhe » 09 May 2012, 12:35

<http://www.penghu-guide.amazing.co.im> no longer seems to be working. Does the site still exist?
fanglangzhe

3 Recognized(s)

Postby fanglangzhe » 10 Jun 2012, 22:40

Ok, so it looks like the Penghu alternative guide has been consigned to the dustbin of history, as these things often are. But I wonder what happened to 'planet2wheels'.
fanglangzhe

3 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Travel in Taiwan