Summer Point Jr - great little B&B

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Summer Point Jr - great little B&B

Postby maoman » 20 Feb 2010, 13:30

Over the CNY holidays, my daughter Trudi and I had the great pleasure of staying at a friend's B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong County (佳樂水/Jiālèshuǐ, 屏東/Píngdōng).

For those who don't know, Jialeshui is in the very far south of Taiwan, almost as far south as Kending, but on the other side of the peninsula. Click here for the Google Map. Summer Point Jr. is a great place to hang out, relax, go surfing or swimming. There are no crowds, and while it is next to a road, the road ends right there, so there is very little traffic. Also, the food is awesome - all of the menu items are from The Diner! There's air-con, cable TV, lots of good hiking in the Jialeshui Seascape Park, which starts just a few meters away from Summer Point Jr.

You can find pictures of Summer Point Jr. here, pictures of Jialeshui here, and a couple of videos for your viewing enjoyment below:

If you're interested in staying there, you can e-mail Jessie at bongout0127 (at) hotmail.com, or call her at 0913-422-899. Rates start at NT$2,400/night including breakfast.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

ORIGINAL POSTER
76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Re: Summer Point Jr - great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong

Postby lostinasia » 20 Feb 2010, 16:19

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be keeping this in mind for spring break. Plus it'd be nice to get back to the Kending area, without going to, well, Kending.

(Still a day left in Chinese New Year vacation and I'm already planning the next getaway...)
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

62 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 20 Feb 2010, 17:18

It looks good, Mao. Is there anything in the way of sandy beach close by?
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

69 Recommends(s)
202 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 20 Feb 2010, 17:55

Omniloquacious wrote:It looks good, Mao. Is there anything in the way of sandy beach close by?

Yes, just outside the front door and a short walk down to the beach. It's clean, and with very few people. I didn't notice any current, but I didn't go in very deep because I was with Trudi.

The surfing is supposed to be pretty good there as well - Jessie is an avid surfer and she says that Jialeshui has the most consistent waves of anywhere in Taiwan. Surfboard rentals and lessons can be arranged as well.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

ORIGINAL POSTER
76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby MJB » 20 Feb 2010, 18:10

I was there yesterday, and can attest to the ambience, the food, and the great view of the local break (which is damn nice by the way). Her assistant also has the best cruising longboard (skateboard) I've ever had the pleasure to ride...

2 thumbs up for an area of Kending that won't drive you crazy.
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 25 Mar 2010, 21:50

Just came back yesterday after a two-night mini-break at Summer Point Jr. and I'm happy to give two thumbs up also.
Gorgeous room, beautiful big patio overlooking the ocean, absolutely spotlessly clean and great burgers and breakfasts in a completely laid-back atmosphere.
Counting the days before we can get back there again.
Thanks so much, Jessie!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also an EASY trip without a car: HSR to Kaohsiung @ 90 mins > taxi from HSR station to the front door @ 90 mins.

A little over 3 hours from sand in the air and 15-degree misery to sand in your shorts and 32-degree stupendousness.

View from the patio

The patio

The day area of our room

The bed area

The bathroom area

Me after some longboard fun

Jessie

View of Jialeshui
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 25 Mar 2010, 21:58

I stayed somewhere near there back in '05 - I think the place was called 'Blue House' - Taiwanese surfers' hangout. It was super chilled out (for a group holiday with all Taiwanese).

I recall the beach was pebbly with black sand? And the surf knocked us around a bit that day.

Pleasant memories nonetheless..
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 25 Mar 2010, 22:19

Exactly what part of Jialeshui is that? Right up near the gate or down in the little village before the hill and by the river?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

848 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 25 Mar 2010, 22:23

Muzha Man wrote:Exactly what part of Jialeshui is that? Right up near the gate or down in the little village before the hill and by the river?

Its just on this side of the gate to the park, which is about 30 meters up the road -- in fact, you can just see the gate to the right of the bottom photo. In the other direction, its about a 5-minute walk to the junction of the road to Eluanbi.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 25 Mar 2010, 22:49

superb pics sandman!
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan