Summer Point Jr - great little B&B

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Summer Point Jr - great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdon

Postby citizen k » 28 Jul 2010, 15:56

Just back from this spot and highly recommend it. Stayed at Summer Wings, the white and blue Greek looking place right next to Summer Point Jr., as Jr. was booked out. Summer Wings is operated by a lovely woman named Ivy who is a Kending native, though the business is owned by a gentleman in Kaohshiung. Word to the wise: The word is out on these two little secrets, so book ahead for either, and far in advance for weekends, if you are thinking of heading down that way. There is other accomodation in the area, though it is hardly as comfortable as either of these two places.

Also, don't know if it was just because it was stormy and they had so much rain in Kending these past few days, but the water was a little murky with run off from the river. We were in amongst some tree boughs that had obviously washed down the river, then back in the surf. All fine, though; we boogied some good waves and the water was remarkably fresh (unsalty). Again, don't know if it was just because it was stormy while we were there, but I wouldn't recommend the water for kids or non-swimmers. We got hammered a couple times because the sets were coming in so quick in the afternoon and in the evening. Good fun, but absolutely not for novices. Morning looked to be a little calmer.
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Tazzie » 28 Jul 2010, 17:42

I was in the water there a few weeks and agree it is not for those who cannot swim or for unattended children. As with many beaches on the East Coast, the coast drops away quickly and after a few steps out you're likely to be in water over your head. The water was great when I was there though and very very calm. Glad you had a good time.
Forumosan avatar
Tazzie
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 02 Nov 2010, 12:16

maoman wrote:If you're interested in staying there, you can e-mail Jessie at bongout0127 (at) hotmail.com, or call her at 0913-422-899. Rates start at $2400NT/night including breakfast.

Are there alternate phone numbers or e-mail addresses? That cell phone number "is not available", and my e-mail hasn't been answered.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 02 Nov 2010, 12:29

cranky laowai wrote:
maoman wrote:If you're interested in staying there, you can e-mail Jessie at bongout0127 (at) hotmail.com, or call her at 0913-422-899. Rates start at $2400NT/night including breakfast.

Are there alternate phone numbers or e-mail addresses? That cell phone number "is not available", and my e-mail hasn't been answered.

I know Jessie left yesterday for a three week vacation to California, but I'm pretty sure her place is still running in her absence. I'll send her a message on Facebook and see if she responds.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

ORIGINAL POSTER
76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby MJB » 03 Dec 2010, 18:12

She's back...
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 03 Dec 2010, 21:11

My wife and I were favorably impressed with Summer Point Jr. We stayed in the same room Maoman has in his video. Quiet and peaceful.

Since the laoban was away, the menu was extremely limited (just one or two items) and dinner was just okay. The breakfasts, however, were terrific.

One caveat: the bed has a footboard, which means if you're 6 feet or taller you may need to sleep just so lest you stub your toes. And we could have done without the smoke from the locals burning what seemed to have been about an acre of driftwood on the beach one night. But that's probably not a regular thing and doesn't have anything to do with the B&B itself.

Overall: highly recommended.

For anyone interested in getting there by public transportation, we took the high-speed rail to Zuoying. In the HSR station is a small stand at which you can buy bus tickets to Hengchun. Those are NT$3xx each, or two round-trip tickets for NT$1,000. Getting to Hengchun takes about two hours. The bus stops at the station. Ignore the taxi drivers who tell you there are no more buses leaving that day or similar bullshit. Go inside the bus station and ask the time of the next bus to Jialeshui. Bus fare is NT$48 or so per person. The trip takes about 20 minutes.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 04 Dec 2010, 14:06

cranky laowai wrote:Ignore the taxi drivers who tell you there are no more buses leaving that day or similar bullshit. Go inside the bus station and ask the time of the next bus to Jialeshui. Bus fare is NT$48 or so per person. The trip takes about 20 minutes.

I think the shared taxis to Kending are a pretty good deal as they often come to less than NT$300/person and they'll take you right to the door of your hotel/B&B.

General point about taking buses in small towns and the countryside: If you have a Chinese speaker, calling the bus station to find out times is always a good idea, as on many rural routes there are only two or three services per day. Also, routes do get axed, so a phone call ahead of time can save you grief.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Re: Summer Point Jr - great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong

Postby dahsiung » 10 Apr 2011, 21:13

Let me chip in and say that this place is still wonderful. My family and I were there for Lunar New Year this year. Chris and Jessie were both wonderful and very welcoming. They both speak excellent English but were not weirded out by my wife and son speaking Taiwanese to them. We stayed at the annex and it was spotlessly clean, breezy, and beautiful. A Big Bear recommendation for this one. I have two different cell phone numbers if the one posted doesn't work. PM me if you need it.
** Try to Laugh **
** Try to Smile **
** Try not to Cry **
** And enjoy your life **
*** Oh, and drink some tea ***
dahsiung
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

4 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Re: Summer Point Jr - great little B&B in Jialeshui, Pingdong

Postby Jaboney » 02 Jul 2011, 21:53

Was there a few weeks ago and neglected to post a review here.

It's great. Wish I could have stayed a week.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Re: Summer Point Jr - great little B&B

Postby squall1 » 19 Apr 2012, 14:32

Do they generally not reply to this email address:

bongout0127 "AT" hotmail.com

I sent them a reservation request earlier this week and haven't gotten a reply.
squall1
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan