Manila Airport 9-hour stopover

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Manila Airport 9 hrs stopover

Postby maunaloa » 14 Jun 2010, 01:53

digiboy wrote:I arrive 13.20 and 21.00...

You can ask, but the airline will probably decline.
A second vote for Mall of Asia. Study googlemaps beforehand so you know the route the taxi driver should take.
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Re: Manila Airport 9-hour stopover

Postby lostinasia » 06 Jun 2011, 11:52

Bump. We're in Manila airport for six hours in early August, roughly 1pm to 7pm. Does anyone who has been through there recently have recommendations about what to do to kill time? Whether or not it's easy to get out of the airport and come back in? Short tours of the city? Or is going to the Mall of Asia still the best option?

EDIT: and would we have to worry about visas if leaving the airport for a few hours? I'm Canadian, and I think I wouldn't have a problem, but my wife's Taiwanese.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

61 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 06 Jun 2011, 12:51

lostinasia wrote:EDIT: and would we have to worry about visas if leaving the airport for a few hours? I'm Canadian, and I think I wouldn't have a problem, but my wife's Taiwanese.

It looks like Canadians don't require tourist visas but Taiwanese do, according to their immigration site.

You would need to apply for a visa for your wife from here.
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 06 Jun 2011, 16:18

Malls are boring (for me). Take the ferry to Corregidor. There are several ferry companies with various departure times. The trip across Manila Bay is interesting in itself, and the island is unchanged since WWII. A time capsule. Or so it was in 2007 ... my last visit there.
maunaloa

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 06 Jun 2011, 16:48

I remember a 5 hour transit stop-over, long enough to get bored.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 06 Jun 2011, 17:14

Thanks for the suggestions!

It looks like my wife would have to pay NTD1200 or so for a visa - so I figure we'll put up with being bored in the terminal. I've been to Manila before and am in no hurry to spend much more time in the city, but it'd have been nice to escape the airport for a while. The airports in Hong Kong or Bangkok or Vancouver or Singapore are fine for 6-7 hours of killing time (being, well, malls!), but that Manila one... nothing there. There aren't even the miles of pacing that most airports offer.

I just hope the one sit-down restaurant in that terminal has now become non-smoking.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia

61 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan