Cheap place to stay in Kending

Moderator: hannes

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Cheap place to stay in Kending

Postby yuki60 » 06 Jan 2011, 15:22

Hello everyone. I will be heading out to Kending on January 16, and I'm struggling with the hotel matter.

I would like to stay inside the town so that I can be near the beach, sights and activity. My budget would be from NT$400 to NT$1,000 for a night. Dormitories are OK, and cheaper is better as long as it is inside of the town.

Would you have some suggestions?

And also about the scooter rental, how much would that be and how much would be the guarantee in general ?

Thank you very much to you all ^^
yuki60
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Cheap place to stay in the town of Kending

Postby Mugatu » 06 Jan 2011, 21:18

Have you thought about camping? There is a good, cheap campsite just past the main stretch of Kending street that is only a couple of hundred a night. Otherwise Kending is pretty expensive. The cheapest place I have stayed at on the main strip was called 'Xinxin' 欣欣 Their number is 08-8861008. I think I paid $900 for a Friday night, then about $2000 for a Saturday. Nothing special, but good location.

The xinxin hostel/hotel place will rent out scooters (if you have Taiwan licence) I think it was $400 a day. They just copied my ID/licence as a guarantee.
Forumosan avatar
Mugatu
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby yuki60 » 07 Jan 2011, 12:58

I would not be against camping but I have no material nor big backpack to carry it across the country.
Is it possible to rent a tent in Kending ?
yuki60
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Mucha Man » 07 Jan 2011, 13:12

You should have no problem getting a room in Kending village itself for under NT1000 on a Sunday night in January. I was there last january for a couple days and was getting rooms in hotels for NT800 a night. A very nice area to stay is off the main road right down by the beach. Dawan Rd I guess. When you first enter town turn right at the intersection where the McDonald's is. A few blocks down the road swings left and runs parallel to the sea. A strip of 3-4 story B&Bs, hotels, all in a row. A nice breezy feel to the places and most have decks out front. If it isn't busy you can get a great room for NT800-900. The area across from this strip is now a park and the beach is literally on the other side. From your hotel front door it's 150m to the ocean.

You can also try the Surf Shack in Hengchun. Outside Kending but cheap, excellent hostel fare, and close to Baisha Bay which is the nicest beach in Kending.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

744 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 07 Jan 2011, 13:59

Just supplementing, that road is known locally at least as hòujiē (後街). You can try Qingshan Xiaozhu (青山小築). Lane 120 No. 3. I think if you show up in person you should be able to get a room there for NT$800.

Personally, I'd stay in Hengchun, as MM suggests, or at one of the hostels over in Jialeshui.

Kending proper is everything that is wrong with Taiwanese tourism.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 07 Jan 2011, 14:29

And Hengchun isn't...? :) . To be fair Hengchun has a few little nice spots and area OUTSIDE Hengchun is very nice but the town itself..nothing to it really.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1573 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 07 Jan 2011, 14:40

headhonchoII wrote:And Hengchun isn't...? :) . To be fair Hengchun has a few little nice spots and area OUTSIDE Hengchun is very nice but the town itself..nothing to it really.

Well, I think Hengchun is what is wrong with Taiwan small towns in general, not so much tourism. :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

744 Recognized(s)

Postby yuki60 » 07 Jan 2011, 15:04

How about if I stay in the Awu or Ocean house hostel ? They are not in Kending but near the South Bay. The thing is, how convenient would it be then to go to the hot spots of Kending from there, knowing that I don't have my scooter licence ?
yuki60
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Mucha Man » 07 Jan 2011, 15:07

yuki60 wrote:How about if I stay in the Awu or Ocean house hostel ? They are not in Kending but near the South Bay. The thing is, how convenient would it be then to go to the hot spots of Kending from there, knowing that I don't have my scooter licence ?

What are these hot spots you are talking about? In any case to get around you need your own transportation. You can get a scooter rental without a license.

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

744 Recognized(s)

Postby yuki60 » 07 Jan 2011, 15:29

Well the hot spots would mostly be Eluenbi and just getting arounnf the beaches. I'll maybe try the scooter thing then. Any suggestion for nice hotel where I can get single room outside Kending, near the beach ?
yuki60
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Travel in Taiwan