Korean guy planning on visiting Taiwan. Please give me advice! Thanks.

Forum rules
When posting, especially when starting a new thread, please use a title that explains your post or thread, e.g. don't put "Help please!" when you could put "Where can I find a camp site near Kending?"

Please check your spelling, because someone may do a text search for your information, e.g. if someone searches for information on Xizhi and you have spelled it She Jher, they won't find it. Someone spelled camping as "campin" without a g at the end - again, it can't be found by a text search. For place names in Taiwan, please try to use Hanyu Pinyin as default, as that is the spelling most people know.

Please place links in your posts to sources of information. If you don't know how to hotlink text, click on the BBCode tips link in my signature to find out.

If you find a thread that is so hopelessly out of date that it couldn't be of use to anyone, please send the moderator a private message (with the URL of the thread)

If you spot two or more threads that you think could be merged, again, alert the moderator

Re: Korean guy planning on visiting Taiwan. Please give me advice! Thanks.

Postby finley » 27 May 2011, 00:37

You'll be pleasantly surprised by Taiwanese food - there's so much variety, as well as foreign influences. Sure, some of it is greasy. Most of it isn't.

I think the point is - don't stay in the city. Cities are cities. They're all the same. But ... you will need to speak some Chinese. Despite Taiwan's efforts to attract tourists, a lot of the interesting places are hard to get to and have no English-speaking service (or any other language, as far as I know) for public transportation.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

669 Recommends(s)
544 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 27 May 2011, 00:40

imcmad2 wrote:I guess everyone has different perspectives. personally I have met many who did not like taiwan and was just wondering how others are thinking because i really do not want to let others' perception affect me when i didnot even visit the place.
well if you ask me, there are plenty of places to go in seoul and suburbs where you can relax and have greens in mountains and islands. its just that its off beaten roads for foreigners..

and i now start to understand what (small portion of , I hope) nature of expat community in taipei is like after reading here.

thank you

Ha, I spent a year living in Yesan, Chungchamnamdo.

An interesting one year experience in the Korean country side.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

9 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 27 May 2011, 12:15

imcmad2 wrote:Whoa

It seems that everyone had bad experiences in Korea.
It almost felt like a guy from a country which is far worse than Taiwan nitpicking about his travel destination and everyone here gets offended by this
rude hypocrite boy. whoa. ouch

A foreign tourist could go to either Seoul or Taipei and enjoy themselves, but you specifically asked how Taipei compares with other East Asian cities.

Whether you will like Taipei depends on what you want to see and do, as well as on whether you are able to access the kinds of places you are interested in - tourists usually don't have the local knowledge or time to find the best places if they are off the beaten track.
If you are interested in Chinese art, then Taipei has the best museum of Chinese antiquities in the world. If you are interested in night life, it will be a lot like Seoul, but since Taipei is smaller there is less variety. Taipei has a wide variety of food options, and Japanese and Korean tourists usually rate the food quite highly, though I personally prefer Korean food. Taipei is not scenic or beautiful - it's just like most big Asian cities. However, there are scenic areas near it - mountains and beaches are close by, and the countryside has many lovely attractions.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 27 May 2011, 13:29

Moderator's note: Discussion of treatment of / attitudes toward foreigners in S. Korea should be done in the thread on that topic. Thanks.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby NooNa » 27 May 2011, 15:35

^^ :discodance: I have just joined into this forum. You are Korean. I very like Seul :) :) . Your country have more nice people such as : Lee Min Ho, Bi rain, Kim tae hee or song hye kyo....
However, I think Taiwan also interesting. You can see Taiwanese are so friendly, and especially, this place have a lot of delicous foods. :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick:
www.facebook.com/nancymytu
Forumosan avatar
NooNa
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby tiffanyffx » 31 May 2011, 14:16

Wish you nice days in Taiwan rather than Taipei city only, as taipei just like other big Asian countries with high buildings and large mansions, everyone struggle for their living and burden heavy pressures.

Beautiful attractions of Taiwan is gathering in the Middle, east & south parts. Taiwanese are very warm & hospitable, u can enjoy your time in taiwan with little money.

Please don`t compare one city with another one, because we traveling to found different life style or relax ourselves. If u can travel with inner happiness then you would be happy journey.

Welcome to Taiwan!
tiffanyffx

Postby 13cyberphoenix » 20 Jun 2012, 01:26

13cyberphoenix
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby maunaloa » 20 Jun 2012, 03:08

OP, why not visit Jeju-do? IME, the most similar city to Seoul in Asia is Taipei. The city, not the people. If you want a change from Seoul, spend a week in Seogwipo. Rent a scooter and go around the island. Climb Halla-san. You won't believe you're in Korea... because you're not, you'll be in a time warp somewhere between the Island of Hawaii and Genghis Khan. :)
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Travel in Taiwan