Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Post your upcoming Taipei and Xinbei Events here!
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in Taipei and Xinbei. Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Re: Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Postby the bear » 27 Jul 2016, 16:26

Elvis is coming..............Elvis!
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
User avatar
the bear
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
 
Posts: 4523
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 1990



Re: Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Postby super_lucky » 27 Jul 2016, 16:44

Fri. July 28 – Sun., July 30 @ TWTC Nangang Exhibition Hall, Taipei, Taiwan

Super Slippa 2016 Taipei Super Summer Music Festival

Mayday (五月天), Jolin Tsai, Stereophonics, Kula Shaker, Carly Rae Jepsen, Redfoo, LMFAO, Slot Machine, Tegan and Sara, Birdy, and Man With a Mission, Rita Ora, etc.

Event Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/ssuperslipper

Tix available here; (mostly) in Chinese

http://tixcraft.com/activity/detail/16_SLIPPA1

Straight Offa Google Translate

super_lucky wrote:Ticket price: seat (NT $3500 / NT $2500), stations (NT $1500)
Set ticket: three-day package [World] rock zone NT $9500 (NT $3500 the same seat ticket X3日)
The 3rd Package [rock station area / station roaming area] NT $3500 (NT $1500 standing tickets X3日)


So, it looks like NT$9,500 will get you in for the whole festival.

Here’s what I know about the bands listed.

    Mayday = Taiwanese arena rock (?)
    Jolin = Taiwanese pop
    Stereophonics = I’m guessing some outfit involving a turntable and a guy wearing headphones; could be wrong but can’t be arsed to find out
    Kula Shaker = Former one-kinda-hit wonder from – gasp – the 90s? The lead guy Crispian Mills is the son of '60s actress Hayley Mills, which means he might be older than me
    Carly Rae Jepsen = Sings that one song my kid likes
    Redfoo/LMFAO = Berry Gordy’s supremely untalented offspring
    Slot Machine = Nothing
    Tegan and Sara = Twin sisters doing Bright Eyes covers
    Birdy = The female Bon Iver; wake me when her set is over and we'll go grab a sno-cone, whaddya say?
    Man With a Mission = Nothing, but I hate their name
    Rita Ora = Is she the one who used to be a dude?

August 14 @ Taipei Arena

Kenny Rogers

I ain’t frontin’ on Kenny. He’s got 120+ worldwide hit singles, has sold over 120 million records, and used to have his name on a chicken franchise that still exists, believe it or not, and makes a really tasty bird (Kenny Rogers’ Roasters – Metro Manila area).

Tix on Viagogo.com are going for $NT 2,500 - $15,000

August 17 @ The Wall Live House Gongguan, Taipei

Of Montreal

If you’re familiar with the Elephant 6 collective (c.g. Apples in Stereo, Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel, Beulah, Elf Power, The Minders, etc.) then you should have working knowledge of Kevin Barnes and his band, which has changed musical directions with just about every album. They have a new record coming out in August on Polyvinyl, and their previous effort (Aureate Glooms) was heavily influenced by late 70s New York rock and punk (Television, Talking Heads) - I give it 3/5 stars. This new record is supposed to be drawn from current sources, I dunno. That’s what they’re saying over at Rolling Stone. The point is, at least they're on the RS radar. I guess that makes 'em notable.

All that said, I have owned and loved a copy of their 2004 effort, Satanic Panic in the Attic, which contains one of the greatest song titles of all-time, “Vegan in Furs”.

October 3 @ TWTC Nangang Exhibition Hall, Taipei

Scorpions

I think shows like Scorpions at TWTC Nangang genuinely give me reason to live. Having seen them a few times in their true heyday (esp. the Blackout Tour, 1982) and at least once during the long sad decline into a punchline from Spinal Tap (Unbreakable, 2004) playing a state fair, my relationship with the Scorps has been up and down. Here’s the thing about these cats: You could put Klaus Meine in front of a string quartet and it would still be the Scorps. He is the band, and he’s fucking 68 years old. Anyway, there’s no way in hell I’d shell out whatever they’re asking for tickets, but here’s why the show is so important to me. If things ever get so bad that I’m in the pits of blackness and depression, sometime around, let’s say, early October, I can always say to myself, “Well, the Scorps are playing Wednesday night. I could always go see that.”
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
 
Posts: 637
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 16:15
Location: Taipei



Re: Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Postby super_lucky » 27 Jul 2016, 16:53

the bear wrote:Elvis is coming..............Elvis!


If you were referring to Elvis Costello, he's...kind of coming...to Japan and Singapore for a handful of dates in early September. Osaka, two shows in Tokyo, then on to Chinese Malaysia for the last gig. It's a good year to be an EC fan in the U.S. as he's doing shitloads of shows this fall (ostensibly in tandem with promo for his book, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink).
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
 
Posts: 637
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 16:15
Location: Taipei



Re: Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Postby Rocket » 27 Jul 2016, 17:23

super_lucky wrote:I ain’t frontin’ on Kenny. He’s got 120+ worldwide hit singles, has sold over 120 million records, and used to have his name on a chicken franchise that still exists, believe it or not, and makes a really tasty bird (Kenny Rogers’ Roasters – Metro Manila area).




I think this website is older than you


super_lucky wrote:
Jolin = Taiwanese pop


And yet...so very much more...
Ain't NO thing like me.
'Cept ME.

Lesson number one: Assume everybody wants to hit you.

Hey! Hey! Start shooting!!
At what?
The NAZIS, dumbfuck!!!
User avatar
Rocket
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: 24 Apr 2014, 12:07
Location: The Slippery Slope



Re: Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Postby the bear » 27 Jul 2016, 19:20

super_lucky wrote:
the bear wrote:Elvis is coming..............Elvis!


If you were referring to Elvis Costello, he's...kind of coming...to Japan and Singapore for a handful of dates in early September. Osaka, two shows in Tokyo, then on to Chinese Malaysia for the last gig. It's a good year to be an EC fan in the U.S. as he's doing shitloads of shows this fall (ostensibly in tandem with promo for his book, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink).


September 14, CKS Hall, its announced and shit. Also Stereophonics are nothing to with turntables, think Welsh anthemic rock, great live band.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
User avatar
the bear
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
 
Posts: 4523
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 1990



Re: Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Postby super_lucky » 27 Jul 2016, 20:06

the bear wrote: September 14, CKS Hall, its announced and shit.


...and Viagogo says it's sold out already? Odd, the date is not yet listed on EC's website. Are there seriously that many on-the-ball EC fans in Taiwan? If so, congrats. Noticed somewhere that prices were starting at NT$3,000+? It's one of the few shows I would want to see just because I saw him live once, on the Spike Tour (1989), and thought, "Balls to this." It was an outdoor show (Poplar Creek Music Theater), and I didn't dig it; that's all I remember. His first three records (two with the Attractions) are timeless; some say the first five; I dunno.

CKS Hall would be a sweet place to see him, whatever he plays; be it new stuff, old stuff, covers, whatever.

the bear wrote: Also Stereophonics are nothing to with turntables, think Welsh anthemic rock, great live band.


Fair enough. Do they sound anything like Big Country? I like Big Country's second LP, Steeltown (1984). Fuckin' awesome record. Of course, I realize the geography in:re Wales vs. Scotland. Close enough for rock n' roll, eh? Anyway, good call on the Elvis show. Curious how you knew about it before everyone else (who wasn't paying attention)? I saw the Japan dates and was thinking maybe Manila? It's a musical coup for Taiwan if this show happens.
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
 
Posts: 637
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 16:15
Location: Taipei



Re: Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Postby Rocket » 27 Jul 2016, 21:38

super_lucky wrote:...just because I saw him live once, on the Spike Tour (1989), and thought, "Balls to this." It was an outdoor show (Poplar Creek Music Theater), and I didn't dig it; that's all I remember. His first three records (two with the Attractions) are timeless; some say the first five; I dunno.


You damn skippy.
Saw him avec Attractions touring This Year's Model.
With The Battered Wives opening, no less.

Every skinny tie and safety pin in town turned out.
It was friggin LOUD.
Ain't NO thing like me.
'Cept ME.

Lesson number one: Assume everybody wants to hit you.

Hey! Hey! Start shooting!!
At what?
The NAZIS, dumbfuck!!!
User avatar
Rocket
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: 24 Apr 2014, 12:07
Location: The Slippery Slope



Re: Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Postby the bear » 28 Jul 2016, 07:23

super_lucky wrote:
the bear wrote: September 14, CKS Hall, its announced and shit.


...and Viagogo says it's sold out already? Odd, the date is not yet listed on EC's website. Are there seriously that many on-the-ball EC fans in Taiwan? If so, congrats. Noticed somewhere that prices were starting at NT$3,000+? It's one of the few shows I would want to see just because I saw him live once, on the Spike Tour (1989), and thought, "Balls to this." It was an outdoor show (Poplar Creek Music Theater), and I didn't dig it; that's all I remember. His first three records (two with the Attractions) are timeless; some say the first five; I dunno.

CKS Hall would be a sweet place to see him, whatever he plays; be it new stuff, old stuff, covers, whatever.

the bear wrote: Also Stereophonics are nothing to with turntables, think Welsh anthemic rock, great live band.


Fair enough. Do they sound anything like Big Country? I like Big Country's second LP, Steeltown (1984). Fuckin' awesome record. Of course, I realize the geography in:re Wales vs. Scotland. Close enough for rock n' roll, eh? Anyway, good call on the Elvis show. Curious how you knew about it before everyone else (who wasn't paying attention)? I saw the Japan dates and was thinking maybe Manila? It's a musical coup for Taiwan if this show happens.


I was alerted by peeps in the Fuji Rock FB group. Saw Elvis at Fuji a few years ago, helluva show, absolutely gangbusting from start to finish. I have a feeling the gig may not be written in stone as it only appears on a coupla sites.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
User avatar
the bear
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
 
Posts: 4523
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 1990



Re: Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Postby super_lucky » 28 Jul 2016, 08:32

Rocket wrote:
super_lucky wrote:...just because I saw him live once, on the Spike Tour (1989), and thought, "Balls to this." It was an outdoor show (Poplar Creek Music Theater), and I didn't dig it; that's all I remember. His first three records (two with the Attractions) are timeless; some say the first five; I dunno.


You damn skippy.
Saw him avec Attractions touring This Year's Model.
With The Battered Wives opening, no less.

Every skinny tie and safety pin in town turned out.
It was friggin LOUD.


I'm not sure if I'm getting your story confused with another friend who saw him/them in Madison, WI, just about the same time. It was February, minus 30-something. Like maybe 12 people in attendance. I reckon anybody who saw them in the late 70s has a similar story... Didn't you tell me that Steve Nieve was a hardcore speed freak? Somebody did.

I tried listening to all of Get Happy! last night. I failed. For my money, you can take This Year's Model and basically call it a career for the guy. He never makes another record and he's still a hotshot. But you ain't getting me anywhere near that Imperial Bedroom bullshit, just sayin'.

By the way, the date still isn't listed on his official website.
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
 
Posts: 637
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 16:15
Location: Taipei



Re: Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Postby Rocket » 28 Jul 2016, 13:53

super_lucky wrote:
Rocket wrote:
super_lucky wrote:...just because I saw him live once, on the Spike Tour (1989), and thought, "Balls to this." It was an outdoor show (Poplar Creek Music Theater), and I didn't dig it; that's all I remember. His first three records (two with the Attractions) are timeless; some say the first five; I dunno.


You damn skippy.
Saw him avec Attractions touring This Year's Model.
With The Battered Wives opening, no less.

Every skinny tie and safety pin in town turned out.
It was friggin LOUD.


I'm not sure if I'm getting your story confused with another friend who saw him/them in Madison, WI, just about the same time. It was February, minus 30-something. Like maybe 12 people in attendance. I reckon anybody who saw them in the late 70s has a similar story... Didn't you tell me that Steve Nieve was a hardcore speed freak? Somebody did.

I tried listening to all of Get Happy! last night. I failed. For my money, you can take This Year's Model and basically call it a career for the guy. He never makes another record and he's still a hotshot. But you ain't getting me anywhere near that Imperial Bedroom bullshit, just sayin'.


Woulda been the same tour, it was deffo the dead of winter.
Contrary to your friend Billy (Oscar?) Madison's experience, though, it was a pretty significant event, he sold out this place, which was the big soft seater.
It was the first major "punk" concert ever, also My Aim Is True had been a pretty big seller in those parts.

You could take a kick at Armed Forces, I seem to remember listening to that a lot at some point or other.



I watched some TV show not long ago where he (EC/DMc) played himself, what was it??
Oh yeah, Treme.

Can't speak to Steve Nieve, but bassist Bruce Thomas wrote a very respectable biography of Bruce Lee back in the 90s. :idunno:
Ain't NO thing like me.
'Cept ME.

Lesson number one: Assume everybody wants to hit you.

Hey! Hey! Start shooting!!
At what?
The NAZIS, dumbfuck!!!
User avatar
Rocket
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: 24 Apr 2014, 12:07
Location: The Slippery Slope



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous




Return to Taipei / Xinbei Events



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 3 guests