New Year's Day Pub Quiz for The Sanctuary!

Post your upcoming Taipei and Xinbei Events here!
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in Taipei and Xinbei. Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

New Year's Day Pub Quiz for The Sanctuary!

Postby Ex Animo » 28 Dec 2011, 09:55

Dear all,

We cordially invite you to an evening of fun and fund-raising at the Brass Monkey on New Year's Day, 5 pm til 9 pm.

Come enjoy the world's first pub quiz of 2012 (probably) with lots of chances to win lots of prizes—all while helping animals!

Lots of prizes, including NT$10,000 cash (plus more) for the winners! First, second, and third-place prizes, plus lots of chances to win during the evening.

All proceeds go to The Sanctuary in Sanzhi, a peaceful home operated by Taiwan Animal S.O.S., where difficult animals can enjoy an easy life.

Teams of up to six people; NT$300 per person to play; the quiz will have a seasonal theme.
No team? No problem! Just let us know and we'll find you a friendly table to join!

Win an iPad 2 on the night in our NT$100-per-ticket raffle!
(Tickets available in advance from The Brass Monkey, the Green Hornet, and Sababa)

No need to book in advance; just arrive good and early to secure your table. And good luck!
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 25 Mar 1999

Re: New Year's Day Pub Quiz for The Sanctuary!

Postby Ex Animo » 30 Dec 2011, 14:38

We're getting very excited about this event! Just picking up the prizes and raffle stubs now. Looking forward to seeing you all there. And we hope you'll come see The Sanctuary once construction is completed, to meet all the special animals you're helping. :notworthy:

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 31 Dec 2011, 02:38

I certainly hope that there will be some questions about sports/music/art that aren't American this time. :roll:

Do people other than Americans and their sycophants, Taiwan, et al, actually watch basketball?
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1029 Recommends(s)
388 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 02 Jan 2012, 01:31

Many thanks to everyone who came out—we raised about NT$100,000 for The Sanctuary and had a lot of fun doing it. :)

Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby ThreadKiller » 02 Jan 2012, 01:51

Taiwan Animal SOS wrote:Many thanks to everyone who came out—we raised about NT$100,000 for The Sanctuary and had a lot of fun doing it. :)

Thanks SOS! My first time viewing a quiz night. Previously, I envisioned people being put on the spot and being embarrassed, but that was a very relaxed, albeit challenging quiz. I'll take part next time.

It needn't be said - GREAT CAUSE. Lots of love for the work you are doing. You guys rock, big time.

And, finally I got to meet MM.

I thought I wouldn't be able to make this event and I am so glad I did. Seeing good friends, meeting new ones, and all of it being for the animals. Very nice.

:)
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." (Denis Diderot)

"I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." (Katharine Hepburn)
Forumosan avatar
ThreadKiller
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

99 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 02 Jan 2012, 08:53

:) I couldn't hear why lobster was the answer. Whyyyyyyyyy should you not eat lobster??

Awesome night yes:)
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 02 Jan 2012, 11:28

Because the New Year is a time for moving forward, which lobsters don't do. ;-)

Glad you had a good time.

Plucky really enjoyed the attention. He even sat in the doorway to meet people as they left.

And the lady who won the iPad 2 generously donated it back! So we've taken it back to the Apple store and got a coupon to hopefully buy the iPad 3 when it comes out in March, and we'll use that for our next draw on April 1 (no joke), and—here's the great news for those of you who bought tickets for the last draw—because the winner wanted someone else to win it, we'll be keeping your ticket stubs and they will be included in the next draw. So, if you bought raffle tickets to win this time, you still have a chance to win next time!

All in all, 'twas a great night. Thanks again for those of you who came out and made it such a fun night.

Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo

ORIGINAL POSTER
24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Funk500 » 02 Jan 2012, 21:50

Excellent! Had good fun last night and look forward to round 2 (and looking forward to taking a poo load of money just as our team did last night :D ).
Forumosan avatar
Funk500
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

19 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 02 Jan 2012, 22:06

Great time, and most happy to see old faces, and match some new ones to their avatars (though Threadkiller did not in fact dance in a pink tutu).

What a great team we had and I'm glad Bu lai en made enough money to be able to eat this week.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

804 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Events