Four international bands this Wednesday @ Legacy

Post your upcoming Taipei and Xinbei Events here!
Forum rules
This forum is for the listing, promotion, and discussion of the specifics of events in Taipei and Xinbei. Please include a date in your title (e.g. 3/25) and - in the post - an address in English if possible. If you are providing the information in the form of an online photograph/flyer/poster, it is also advisable to provide the essential details in text as well, so as to facilitate ease of cut-and-paste.

As we wish to encourage people to post their events here, negative commentary isn't welcome in the Events forums. You are, however, more than welcome to post the same debate-encouraging negative criticism of bands, artists, etc. in the Arts & Entertainment or other appropriate forums.

Please PM the Moderators or Admin if you have any concerns or queries.

Re: 4 international bands this Wednesday @ Legacy

Postby the bear » 12 Jan 2012, 22:22

Feiren wrote:Sorry I had to miss it. Just curious, how many people showed up? NT$2,000 is a lot of money for a show on Wednesday night. I'm sure it was worth it, but does Taiwan now have an audience well-heeled enough to support this kind of price. I know Japanese bands at Legacy charge this much regularly, but can acts from the UK and Australia with relatively little exposure in Taiwan also draw a crowd? I certainly hope this is the beginning of many great shows in Taiwan. Great live music is one of the few things from the US that I still really miss. Things have vastly improved, but still...

Yeah it was half to two thirds full but a good number of us foreigner types helped fill out the venue. Note this was part of an Asian mini-tour for these 4 bands. The 2000 ticket price was good value I thought. The real test will be the Vaccines and Horrors gigs next month. If these can draw good crowds then there is hope so please drag your asses along and support live music in Taipei.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
30 Recommends(s)
107 Recognized(s)

Postby Dougster » 13 Jan 2012, 01:28

It's about time we had some decent bands coming this way. The people behind these gigs are obviously aware of the current music scene. I couldn't make it to the gig on wednesday night, but will check out the Vaccines and the Horrors for sure.
"A pair of quadruple whiskys and a pair of pints please" Withnail
Forumosan avatar
Dougster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby stevegan » 13 Jan 2012, 13:32

I picked the wrong time to go back to New Zealand for a holiday, especially since I've been hounding The Naked and Famous for years about playing in Taiwan. :fume:

Anyway, I reckon NT2000 is fair considering the caliber of those four bands. Compare that to a show like The Ting Tings which was NT3500. Yeesh.

The number of top quality international acts stopping in Taiwan these days is pretty good, and this article in the Taipei Times suggests it's just going to keep getting better.

If you're interested, there's a review of the show on GigGuide.tw.
Check out GigGuide.tw for a list of all upcoming concerts, plus local CD reviews and interviews.
stevegan
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Location: Currently in Taipei. Formerly in Auckland / New Zealand (Aotearoa)
3 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby citizen k » 13 Jan 2012, 14:16

I went to the French Horn Rebellion / Pains of Pure at Heart gig last month at Legacy. There were maybe 300 people there at the most. It's a tough one, because the more shows that come, the more discriminating people (and the pool that go to see these shows in Taipei are pretty young) are going to be with their dollars. I'm giving the Horrors and the Vaccines a miss, but going to see Death Cab in March. That should tide me over until July, when Radiohead come, unless something truly remarkable pops up. I'm happy about this current wave of acts coming through; sure beats flying to KL to see MGMT last year or to Japan to see others over the years. :thumbsup:
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 21 Jan 1996

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Events