NHL 2011-12 season thread

Whether it's football, basketball, hockey or tennis, share your love for the game in Forumosa's Sports Forum!

Re: NHL 2011-12 season thread

Postby Tempo Gain » 15 May 2012, 15:02

Saw Dale Hunter stepped down today, too bad, would have liked to see what Caps did next year under him. That Holtby is going to be something, like velcro.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

332 Recommends(s)
325 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 15 May 2012, 16:23

KK, I would never lump you in with those lame-oids. I respect any fan who sticks by their once glorious team, but does so with humility. What I loathe is never-have-beens cockwalking about crowing that they are the best ever.

I will, however, take you to task on the idea that you are a goalie-man yet call a 1-0 game boring.

For two reasons:

1) 1-0 is the second best score in hockey. The best being 0-0. A true goalie-man would get that.

2) I love the new penchant for blocking shots. Putting career and limb on the line for team and glory makes me respect forwards a lot more than prima donna pussy goalscorers.

As much as the NHL tries to increase scoring, the mean remains the same. Limiting equipment size, the deeper endzone, the elimination of the two line offside, the smaller crease, the trapezoid, the relaxed interference rules and even Gainey's laughable one blade on the ice blocked shot proposal (would they actually enforce that with 2 PIMs? :loco: ) have all failed to increase scoring. Goalies make the game great, the greatest game on earth. Ask anyone who has scrimmaged with a jersey hanging off the crossbar how much less fun that is than even having a sieve D-man strap on the gear. And the modern goalie, well....forget greats like Dryden and Tretiak, every team that makes the post season has a world class athlete backstopping them. Even Brodeur at 40 years of age has adapted his game, his style to befit today's faster pace.

No sirrah...with all the respect due to such a knowledgeable and dedicated fan as yourself, blocked shots and low-scoring affairs make for better hockey. My Rags are even taking it to a whole nutha level in that the are blocking in tandem with King Henrik, trying to work the block shadow to the farside, leaving shortside for Lundquist. This dedication and commitment to system will get their names on the grail, mark my words.

Looking forward to your return.

Shame about Hunter. He did a great job.
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

62 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby jonnyspermz » 15 May 2012, 20:31

If you love shot blocking - and top notch goaltending - then no doubt you're enjoying my Blueshirts nail-bitingly delicious run. I'm having flashbacks to 1994 (even tho half of our team couldn't walk, let alone skate, back then), and loving the NY/NJ grudge match happening right now. I won't share any spoilers, for those of you who download your games.
"I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick 'Americans' as their mascot." - J.H.
jonnyspermz
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby k.k. » 15 May 2012, 23:42

Toe Save wrote:KK, I would never lump you in with those lame-oids. I respect any fan who sticks by their once glorious team, but does so with humility. What I loathe is never-have-beens cockwalking about crowing that they are the best ever.

I will, however, take you to task on the idea that you are a goalie-man yet call a 1-0 game boring.

For two reasons:

1) 1-0 is the second best score in hockey. The best being 0-0. A true goalie-man would get that.

2) I love the new penchant for blocking shots. Putting career and limb on the line for team and glory makes me respect forwards a lot more than prima donna pussy goalscorers.

As much as the NHL tries to increase scoring, the mean remains the same. Limiting equipment size, the deeper endzone, the elimination of the two line offside, the smaller crease, the trapezoid, the relaxed interference rules and even Gainey's laughable one blade on the ice blocked shot proposal (would they actually enforce that with 2 PIMs? :loco: ) have all failed to increase scoring. Goalies make the game great, the greatest game on earth. Ask anyone who has scrimmaged with a jersey hanging off the crossbar how much less fun that is than even having a sieve D-man strap on the gear. And the modern goalie, well....forget greats like Dryden and Tretiak, every team that makes the post season has a world class athlete backstopping them. Even Brodeur at 40 years of age has adapted his game, his style to befit today's faster pace.

No sirrah...with all the respect due to such a knowledgeable and dedicated fan as yourself, blocked shots and low-scoring affairs make for better hockey. My Rags are even taking it to a whole nutha level in that the are blocking in tandem with King Henrik, trying to work the block shadow to the farside, leaving shortside for Lundquist. This dedication and commitment to system will get their names on the grail, mark my words.

Looking forward to your return.

Hey Toe, it's all good. No worries. I do respect a 1-0 hockey game, but prefer a little more action. That's just my take on it.
I'll be back on the weekend.
Forumosan avatar
k.k.
"Drinks for the House!"

30 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby Wilch » 16 May 2012, 11:18

baberenglish wrote:
Wilch wrote:Vancouver fans are awesome.

Canucks fans are women.

And they are awesome.

**Removed**
Wilch
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 16 May 2012, 13:12

I should probably temp that last post, but I too have an eye for a beaut. I'll let it stand unless someone complains it's too racy or something.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 16 May 2012, 14:54

bismarck wrote:I should probably temp that last post, but I too have an eye for a beaut. I'll let it stand unless someone complains it's too racy or something.

I'd say leave it up as it is the only thing their fans have to cheer for. It certainly ain't the hockey.

Go Rags!!!
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save

62 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby Wilch » 16 May 2012, 18:56

bismarck wrote:I should probably temp that last post, but I too have an eye for a beaut. I'll let it stand unless someone complains it's too racy or something.

Well in that case, I hope you saved the picture. I'll be removing it before anyone throws in a complaint.

Toe Save wrote:I'd say leave it up as it is the only thing their fans have to cheer for. It certainly ain't the hockey.

Actually, folks in Vancouver have plenty to cheer for. The Canucks still have the window of opportunity to a title, albeit a small one. This last season has been tough, hopefully Mike Gillis will make the necessary adjustments to right the ship. The only downside is that the Canucks prospect pool is not so good at the moment.

Anyway, although I was hoping the Yotes could go all the way, it seems like the Kings have taken control of this series. I'm hoping the team that comes out of the west obliterates whoever comes out of the east.
Wilch
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 16 May 2012, 19:08

Wilch wrote:
Toe Save wrote:I'd say leave it up as it is the only thing their fans have to cheer for. It certainly ain't the hockey.

Actually, folks in Vancouver have plenty to cheer for.

I totally agree they have a great shot, shoo-ins actually....for The Heimlich Cup. :roflmao:
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save

62 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby Wilch » 16 May 2012, 20:11

Interesting fact of the day: The last time Torts and Sutter faced each other in the Cup Final, Torts team won and Brad Richards won Conn Smythe.
Wilch
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Sports