Skydiving

Whether it's football, basketball, hockey or tennis, share your love for the game in Forumosa's Sports Forum!

Re: Skydiving

Postby omerojs » 30 Apr 2009, 16:14

tommy525 wrote:http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28250733/

still wanna skydive?

YESSSSS

Man... more people dies walking on the streets or driving cars or riding scooters or big bikes in one hour than people skydiving, so if I do all the previous things, why not skydiving? besides I would have a lot more fun doing that, and if i die... well i will try to be happy just before i hit the ground !!! :angel:
Just about Everything can be done in Taiwan!!
Forumosan avatar
omerojs
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Jake » 06 May 2009, 15:36

I have an interesting story to share.

I am an ABC from Houston and was in the US military. I went to jump school at Benning in 1990. I have 14 jumps and Helo jumps were the best. (UH-1 and Ch-47)

I returned to Taiwan in 1993 and in 95, there was an ad in the paper for ex-military paratroopers to make a jump in Taiwan from a C-119.
They were looking for ex-Taiwanese paratroopers. I called and found out it was a company in Taichung that was making parachutes and they wanted someone to do a demo jump for the ROC military.

Anyway, they were going to film it and they were going to pay 10,000NT for the jump. It was scheduled on a weekend that I was traveling to Phillipines. I have to choose making a jump and get 10,000NT or go partying in Phil.

I chose Phillipines and when I returned to Taiwan. My friend showed me an article about the jump. The first jumper's chute did not open and he died. He was a retired member of the military skydiving team.

I miss jumping.
Jake
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby redwagon » 06 May 2009, 16:56

Jake wrote:My friend showed me an article about the jump. The first jumper's chute did not open and he died. He was a retired member of the military skydiving team.

I remember that incident. Actually, I used to know the guys that made the chutes. Of course they never once mentioned anyone had died using their gear... They also made the first paraglider I flew, though I wasn't aware of the connection at the time.
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Taike » 06 May 2009, 17:32

Ex-Para-Commando (Airborne) with 81 jumps.

I think on the east coast? Not sure, though.
Taike
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby section61 » 07 May 2009, 01:34

IF any you skydivers need a pilot, I am the man for the job.
section61
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby catysung » 01 Jan 2010, 04:05

I have about 1030 jumps now. Made my first jump in May 2004 and just keep jumping.
For about a year and half, I made no jumps at all because I went back to Taiwan and there is no civilian skydiving.
I love freefall!!! Flying canopy is alright, but freefall is awesome.

By the way, skydiving is not for everyone.
catysung
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby sandman » 01 Jan 2010, 12:35

Neither is macrame, astonishingly!
I did a parachute jump once. I managed to trap one testicle between the harness and my thigh. When the parachute opened it was possibly the single most painful thing I've ever done in my entire life. Never again!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby catysung » 02 Jan 2010, 04:17

[/quote]
I did a parachute jump once. I managed to trap one testicle between the harness and my thigh. When the parachute opened it was possibly the single most painful thing I've ever done in my entire life. Never again![/quote]

yet. most skydivers are males (7 men to 1 women).... I wonder how they manage that! :p
Skydiving is not for everyone.
catysung

Postby bismarck » 02 Jan 2010, 23:24

sandman wrote:

I did a parachute jump once. I managed to trap one testicle between the harness and my thigh. When the parachute opened it was possibly the single most painful thing I've ever done in my entire life. Never again!

:eek: Ouch!
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby nemesis » 03 Jan 2010, 00:03

I was getting all ready to boast about my four jumps, but alas, I have never been paid to skydive, and I've only done it the four times. I was one of the suckers who paid to do it. The first time, I had some line twist, but managed to rectify it. The other three went perfectly, complete with graceful, tippy-toe landings. (The first landing was okay, but I stopped as soon as my feet hit the ground instead of running and ended up doing a very nice faceplant, captured on video!)

That was about ten years ago, when I lived in Canada. I wanted to continue after I moved here, but never did. Oh well, there's always macrame...
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
Forumosan avatar
nemesis
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

11 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Sports