surfing

Whether it's football, basketball, hockey or tennis, share your love for the game in Forumosa's Sports Forum!

Re: surfing

Postby Deuce Dropper » 09 Mar 2009, 17:22

the chief wrote:
Deuce Dropper wrote:Why doesn't Brodie or Johnny Utah get credit for the surf quote at the bottom?

Blasphemy.

Bodhi, not Brodie...

and the quote is from one of the gang...

thanks, edited...and your knowledge of 'Point Break' is impressive.

100% pure adrenaline baybee!
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
468 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 09 Mar 2009, 17:41

Deuce Dropper wrote:
the chief wrote:
Deuce Dropper wrote:Why doesn't Brodie or Johnny Utah get credit for the surf quote at the bottom?

Blasphemy.

Bodhi, not Brodie...

and the quote is from one of the gang...

thanks, edited...and your knowledge of 'Point Break' is impressive.

100% pure adrenaline baybee!

Wait for it, dude, Point Break 2 is coming later this year, all shot in Indonesia!!
The one & only Koby Adderton (personal Facebook friend of mine) does all Swayze's surf stunts!

90 seconds, Johnny, that's all I ask for, 90 seconds of your life...
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby Slowman » 01 May 2009, 18:20

Northcoast Surfer wrote:
pazynique wrote:What's the incidence of shark spottings/attacks in Taiwan? Does anyone bodyboard or will I look like a pansy if I do so? What's the closest surf spot to Taipei? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
Thanks=)

I have lived and surfed in Taiwan over the past nine years and I've never seen a shark or even heard of anybody being attacked by sharks in any swimming or surfing areas near the island. I think the Taiwanese have fished them all out.

The closest surf spot to Taipei is Baishawan Beach on the northcoast. See my 7th post from page one of this thread for details.

Is Baishawan the beach that is near the fishermans pier at Danshui? I've ridden my bike out there many times from City Hall for a surf check and never seen a wave there more than 2 feet ever. I've surfed Waiao, Wushi breakwall and Daxi many times and there is never any shortage of swell there and Fulong too on occasions and Green Bay and Jinshan. With the new high speed train to Kaoshung (Gaoxiong) it's worth going to Kending for a weekend away (hire a car in Kaoshung (Gaoxiong)).

Shark fin soup being the delicassey it is in Asia I suspect there are no sharks left anywhere near the island.
Slowman
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 01 May 2009, 23:06

Slowman wrote:
Northcoast Surfer wrote:
pazynique wrote:What's the incidence of shark spottings/attacks in Taiwan? Does anyone bodyboard or will I look like a pansy if I do so? What's the closest surf spot to Taipei? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
Thanks=)
I have lived and surfed in Taiwan over the past nine years and I've never seen a shark or even heard of anybody being attacked by sharks in any swimming or surfing areas near the island. I think the Taiwanese have fished them all out.
The closest surf spot to Taipei is Baishawan Beach on the northcoast. See my 7th post from page one of this thread for details.
Is Baishawan the beach that is near the fishermans pier at Danshui? I've ridden my bike out there many times from City Hall for a surf check and never seen a wave there more than 2 feet ever. I've surfed Waiao, Wushi breakwall and Daxi many times and there is never any shortage of swell there and Fulong too on occasions and Green Bay and Jinshan. With the new high speed train to Kaoshung (Gaoxiong) (Gaoxiong) it's worth going to Kending for a weekend away (hire a car in Kaoshung (Gaoxiong) (Gaoxiong). Shark fin soup being the delicassey it is in Asia I suspect there are no sharks left anywhere near the island.

Baishwan Beach is about 15km to the east of Danshui on Tan-Jing Road. It's about half-way between Danshui and Jinshan. The waves were really pumping today! Nice surf. Danshui is a delta and there is no surf there.
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby Slowman » 02 May 2009, 09:15

Thanks for the info I'll have to ride a little further next time or when I have a car keep driving west from JinShan and have a look...thought I'd discovered nearly everything...except down south.

Now this is pumping:
Slowman

Postby Frenchguy » 02 May 2009, 18:57

Slowman wrote:Now this is pumping:

Is this taiwan ?

Totally agree with here I'm sacred at the number of people claiming "I don't know how to swim, but it's ok, there's the leash !" :doh:
Scary.

As for the sharks, I remember asking this, the first I came, to locals, and yes, the answer was "We ate them all"

Anybody watching that system moving off guam ?
Frenchguy
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Slowman » 03 May 2009, 16:49

Frenchguy wrote:Is this taiwan ?

No it is in Sydney where I live on Anzac Day (25/04/2009 was a rare day where just about every beach or point break was producing exceptional quality). I visit Taiwan often...I've never seen waves this good in Taiwan but still had some good waves. It was a pleasant surprise to find surf in Taiwan when I came over for work for a project...after about 25 trips only one was flat.
Slowman

Postby Anubis » 08 May 2009, 11:09

For all the surfers out there.

A huge ocean wave has been filmed from beneath the surface, revealing features never before captured on camera.

The remarkable video, which will be shown as part of the BBC Natural History Unit's new series South Pacific, was filmed in super slow motion using a high-definition camera.

More here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 035593.stm
Sekhem Em Pet

Taiwan UP
Forumosan avatar
Anubis
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Slowman » 11 May 2009, 13:35

Anubis wrote:For all the surfers out there.

A huge ocean wave has been filmed from beneath the surface, revealing features never before captured on camera.

The remarkable video, which will be shown as part of the BBC Natural History Unit's new series South Pacific, was filmed in super slow motion using a high-definition camera.

More here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 035593.stm

Giant wave? 12' isn't really a giant wave - though those BBC guys found a nice excuse to get up to the Caroline Islands! I've seen plenty of underwater shots like that they just haven't focused so much on the vortices left by the peeling lip but they have been captured even if only briefly.
Slowman

Postby Sand-Tiger » 11 Sep 2010, 22:25

I just arrived from Indo (Bali, nusa lembongan, lombok, and sumbawa) and am now living in Taipei so if anyone is keen to head and get some waves with me let me know and I'll split any costs. Surfing Taiwan - Yew!
Sand-Tiger

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Sports