Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Angling in Taiwan

Whether it's football, basketball, hockey or tennis, share your love for the game in Forumosa's Sports Forum!

Re: Angling in Taiwan

Postby jimipresley » 28 Feb 2009, 13:05

Arrrgghhhh! This thread is not for debating the moral/ethical issues of "angling"!
I just want to know where I can catch something other than minnows!
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
992 Recommends(s)
374 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 28 Feb 2009, 13:16

I'll probably go for the tilapia in the sewer creeks when I start. They are large and feisty and I'll see how feasible a trout line is.

If you are a salt water fisherman, then you might want to go to one of the small ports and see what renting out a boat would cost. You might also look into angling clubs.

Angling, it would appear, would be something designed by the idle rich who've never experienced real hunger or deprivation.

I'd disagree and say it has more to do with what you want to do with the fish. I know exactly what I want to do with my sewer tilapia. The OP seems to be looking into sport or eating.
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 28 Feb 2009, 13:26

Okami wrote:I'll probably go for the tilapia in the sewer creeks when I start. They are large and feisty and I'll see how feasible a trout line is.

Although tilapia are notoriously strong fighters, your trout tackle should suffice. You gonna chuck flies at them or use bait? And I er wouldn't eat them.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
992 Recommends(s)
374 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 02 Mar 2009, 11:52

The real question is why one would release some finned creature that was haphazard enough to get emeshed in one of our webs.
Poor duck.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
226 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 02 Mar 2009, 15:56

I didn't tell you this but ...

Surrounding the airport in Taoyuan are hundreds of ponds (well I say "ponds" but they take a good 10-15 minutes to walk around). Many of them are stocked with various kinds of farmed fish. Big, fat ones fed by a constant stream of food pellets launched into the water by automatic feeder machines. I've seen people sneakily fishing in them. The anglers usually stay away from the access roads and blend in among the tall grass and reeds. Presumably the anglers offer the fish something more appetizing then dried food pellets (worms maybe?). If you have a GPS, the ponds and access roads will be marked.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
62 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 02 Mar 2009, 21:30

I've often thought of those wonderfully stocked fish pools myself. So little labor, so much easy fishin! :D
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami

8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby JohnnyT » 13 Mar 2009, 18:40

I know a spot behind my place... I also didn't say anything, but if its just for the sport... there are pan sized (not for the pan tho) indo tarpon on Keelung (Jilong) river (can you believe it) on lure obviously... fly would be better, but I don't see you having the space or wading into Keelung (Jilong).

I caught a 73cm and later a 74cm (big head - chinese da tou lien) both on one evening. I think I may have posted it on another thread here or elsewhere, but nobody cares. If you guys do I can show you... very fun on a trout rod. I'm way past tilapia, unless I'm really bored or there is not another fish in sight.

Mullet go for fly sometimes also... also in Keelung (Jilong)... The only reason the fish are still so big there is becoz.. 1. you cant really fish there (I do) and 2. no "fishermen" fish there because they wanna eat their catch.

I havent fished since my girlfriend threw my lurebox into the ocean while trying to throw it towards me when asked. And then they was obviously the same time when I put my rod against my car to change lures, and the wind slammed my door on to the only rod that I own.

<sigh>
I was WIDE open, you clown!
Forumosan avatar
JohnnyT
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby section61 » 19 Mar 2009, 01:14

Hey man,

I couldn't go angling in Taichung because I don't have my rods, if it's not mine, it's not going to work.

Anyway, if you want to go fishing, mostly are small fishes, go down the harbour and get on those bamboo boat, they will take you to their oyster farm. All you have to do is sit there and fish. You can even have your pre-orded lunch box before they drop you off and they will bring it to you when it's lunch time, well if you can stay for that long.

Cheers.
section61

Postby It is me again » 19 Mar 2009, 04:23

TheGingerMan wrote:
Rugby is a perverse pastime that has nothing whatsoever to do with fishing. Which is not a sport, but a means of gathering sustenance.

Well, the crowd at next week's Hong Kong Sevens might not agree.
Forumosan avatar
It is me again
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

21 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby section61 » 21 Mar 2009, 01:02

Let me know when you are going fishing, I"ll come with you, I have a friend who goes fishing alot and he knows where to go. He does have his own fishing pond, but that's not where we are going. He took me out to the bag once where you sit in a floating deck for like 3 hours or something.

Cheers.
section61

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Sports